PDA

View Full Version : NEED HELP: Cooking for friends who are on the SB diet..

liya
12-26-2003, 05:39 PM
I need some nice recepies for my friends. They said they would eat anything that it was fine but i dont want to rail them off their diet. They are working very hard at loosing weight and i would feel soooo bad if i added to their diet breaking...Any awsome recepies i can surprise them with??

I know we have a few SB chef amongsts us ;)...

TIA

egoldber
12-26-2003, 10:46 PM
Linda, what phasae are they in? Phase 1 is the most restrictive, and they can't have:

bread
potatoes
carrots
pasta
fruit
alcohol

If they are in Phase 2, then can really eat almost anything in moderation, but should restrict breads made from refined flours, especially white breads. But breads made from whole grain flours are OK, as well as whole wheat pita, couscous, brown rice, and wild rice. They should also still avoid potatoes and high sugar fruits (like bananas), but berries, apples, etc. are OK.

In terms of desserts, a cheesecake is your best bet. And they can have some alcohol in Phase 2, but red wine is the best choice.

A typical (Phase 2) dinner for us is:
a lean protein (chicken, lean beef, seafood)
a large serving of a steamed vegetable (broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, green beans, etc.)
a large-ish side salad with an olive oil and vinegar dressing
sometimes a half cup of an approved grain (couscous, brown rice)

As long as you follow those guidelines, you should be fine. You don't count anything in this diet (like carbs or sugars or whatever), so you don't need to worry about that. I have found that my cooking has changed relatively little.

HTH,