PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: FIRM 1 or FIRM 2???

heidis2girls
12-29-2003, 03:25 PM
Hello! I am relatively new here, although I've been lurking for a while. I was an active poster on the stroller board (here and PP) until I found my ideal strollers! Now I am on to the FIRM...

I'm really interested in the FIRM system. I'm not sure which is best for me, version 1 or version 2. I have about 20 pounds to lose and I am very out of shape, if that makes a difference! We do have a treadmill at home which I'm hoping to use as well, but I've heard such wonderful things about the FIRM and I'd like to give it a try.

Any suggestions on which would be best for me? Oh, I did pick up the "Complete aerobics and weight training" DVD (from system 2) at the supermarket last week for a great price, so I have one to start with, although I don't have the sculpting stick. I do have 3 and 5 pound weights, too.

Edited to add: Where is the cheapest place to buy the FIRM? I saw it for $59 at Walmart but it was only on VHS. I also saw system 2 for $59 at Target but I didn't notice if it was VHS or DVD...

TIA for any information!

Heidi

peanut4us
12-31-2003, 10:55 AM
I just bought a 4 DVD Firm pack for $27.99 at Costco... It's got an abs tape 2 aerobic type tapes and one that is a pilatesesque kind of thing. I haven't tried them yet, but I can let you know what I think if your interested.

OH and these videos just look like you need normal weights, nothing special like the stick, etc. Edited to say that they "recommend" the stupid stick and their special step, but I'm sure you could use oterh stuff. I'll let you know how it goes.

Updated now that I've done the videos: yes, they work your butt off! I think I am going to buy a thick dowel to use as the "stick" and I actually have an old stair steppy thing but it really is only about 2/3 the height of the fanny lifter. It works fine for the total cardio and abs video and Ok for the aerobic with weights, but not really for the body sculpting. I've been using a kitchen chair for seated arm exercises and balance, and that's been OK.

I like the total cardio and abs the most. i did it last night and I think the whole workout is harder and the cueing is much better than the other videos. Yowza! I hurt today! SO I think that will be my main tape, and I'll rotate the others in every othre cardio workout.

My costco pack also came with a 4th video which is 3 10 minute ab segments. I plan on doing one segment on the days I don't do a full workout.

So that's my review (from someone SO not in shape). They kick your pants... but it's a really fast 55 minutes. Good luck!

emmasmama
01-01-2004, 01:53 PM
Heidi, I got the Firm 2 on DVD for 39.99 at Sam's Club - it came with the 3 dvds plus a bonus abs DVD... I think it's very good (if only I'd motivate to do it more often)... I just bought a rubbermaid kitchen step stool and I have hand weights... I'm sure the fanny lifter would be nicer, but it seems a little overpriced to me and the stool works well enough to get by I think... I don't really think the sculpting stick is necessary at all... HTH!

mamahill
01-02-2004, 02:36 PM
The one at Target is just VHS - at least the ones at 2 of my Targets were. I wanted the Fanny Lifter since my mom has it and she said it's fabulous. Also, it was one of my Christmas gifts, so I requested the whole she-bang. I've done the Firm off and on for the past 8 years with my own stool and 80s-style videos, so I was ready for an upgrade!:) I ended up ordering the DVD one at qvc.com. It comes with the fanny-lifter and sculpting stick, and 3 or 4 DVDs and it was around $94 (with shipping). That was cheaper than firmdirect.com. I have yet to receive it, but any day now!!

JulieL
01-05-2004, 03:24 PM
Heidi,
I am a huge Firm believer. But honestly I think system 1 is a little more intense than system 2. I had to modify system 2 to feel the same amount of workout as system 1. I like both and think you can't lose with either!

heidis2girls
01-07-2004, 10:20 PM
Thank you ALL for your responses! I ended up with FIRM 2 with the fanny lifter and the sculpting stick. Since this was my Christmas gift from my MIL and FIL I went for the whole package!

So far I've done 3 workouts. The first day I did "Complete Aerobics and Weight Training". I only got through half because our power went out! The second day I tried "Maximum Cardio Burn plus Abs". I made it through the whole DVD, but it wasn't easy because my 2 year old was with me and she was borrowing the fanny lifter and weights and made me stop twice to get her a banana! And I was so afraid that I would kick her! Today I did "Total Sculpt plus Abs". Again I did the entire DVD and felt that it was the toughest workout yet. That could be because of the interruptions I had previously, though!

I really like the workouts and like that there are different workouts to choose from each day. I like the fanny lifter and the sculpting stick, too. I have a credit at Walmart and will pick up FIRM 1, too, for even more variety.

Thank you all again!

Heidi

Annette_C
01-08-2004, 12:10 AM
I know I'm a little late but...Welcome, Heidi!
I got the fanny lifter and firm 2 set as a christmas gift also. I decided against the sculpting stick since I prefer weights and don't need help with balance while working out (as you get more familiar with the workouts, you'll see that the stick is mostly used for balance). So far, I've done the Complete aerobics and weight training and the Maximum cardio burn plus abs and like both very much. I also have some old Firm videos that I occasionally use but I like the new version since it makes the best of your workout time (these days, that's VERY important).
I also alternate workouts (step, tae-bo, elliptical trainer, etc) to get an overall body workout by the end of the week.
Good luck!
Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02