PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else ready to start the SB diet?

janeybwild
01-02-2004, 11:51 AM
Hello ladies, I've lurked a while but am now ready to bravely say that this baby fat is no longer baby fat. Its just fat, and I feel ickey. DD is 8 months old and my weight is going up instead of down! Anyway, I picked the SB diet because it seems to fit me well. I bought the book, read it, and am now ready to start this weekend. Is anybody else out there ready for this and need a buddy? I would truly appreciate the support. I have 30 pounds to lose, and would like to be well on my way by DDs first birthday (end of April). We can do it girls!

mamahill
01-02-2004, 02:39 PM
I'm starting Monday!! I'm making up my grocery list today for the next week. I've got about 5 pounds to lose, but I'm looking to revolutionize my diet (on an average day, my "lunch" is a lean pocket and a diet dr. pepper - lovely).

I would love to buddy up with you. Beth (egoldber) and Karen (stillplayswithbarbies) have been doing it for a while and are great resources. Oh, and Annette (Annette_C) too! (are you back on the bandwagon, Annette?):)

janeybwild
01-02-2004, 05:41 PM
That's great!
I made a 2 day shopping list up today since it was all I could handle. I've never seen so many veggies on my grocery list before. Do you have a suggestion for a substitute for vegetable juice every morning? The thought of that is making me gag. I never was a bloody Mary fan I guess.
Good luck making your list!

mharling
01-02-2004, 07:53 PM
Janey -
I need to get doing something; let's talk next week. :)

http://www.auction-pix.com/katasha/stuff/snowman.gif Mary & Lane 4/6/03

phirey
01-02-2004, 08:25 PM
I started it today (Friday), so I'm only a day ahead of you. Now that I just had my healthy dinner of salmon and asparagus I admit i would do anything to shove about a half a loaf of bread in my face. And the neighbors we've lived next door to for ten months decided to invite us over tonight to "get to know us." AAAArugh.

But I'll be here tomorrow, ready to be low-carb buddies! I'm trying to exercise, too.

janeybwild
01-02-2004, 10:01 PM
Hang in there Peggy, resist the bread! I have to believe the first few days would be the toughest, mentally more than anything. You are one day in and should pat your self on the back for succesfully starting. If the craving for bread gets too intense, you can always add one more pistachio to your pile! DH commented on our newly stocked fridge tonight that it "looks like real people live here now". I guess too many pizzas and lean pockets was not a good thing. He also asked was he expected to eat this....as if all these veggies might harm him. Doesn't help of course that he is a string bean who lives on carbs. Ugggghhhh!

janeybwild
01-02-2004, 10:02 PM
Check!:) It will be nice to have in person support too.

Bethann31
01-03-2004, 01:52 AM
I'm in. DH and I are starting as well. My weight is creeping up and having been Gestational Diabetic with all 4 pregnancies, I feel like I've been playing with fire. I really need to improve my ever-worsening eating habits and get some more exercise. Thank goodness I LOVE veggies, but I also love pasta.

Beth
mom to 3 (13, 11 and 8) and then 1 more (06/04/03)

justlearning
01-03-2004, 02:03 AM
Count me in too! I also would like to lose around 30 lbs. and am wanting to do the South Beach diet, based upon what I've read on here.

I ordered the book today so I'm going to start eating better now (I've read enough about the diet to understand the main points) but won't be able to follow it to the letter until I get the book.

Are any of you also breastfeeding right now? I believe I read in another post on here that you're not supposed to do the Level 1 part of the diet if you're BF. Is this true? If so, does he explain why? Is it because it's too calorie restricted or because it restricts dairy?

I haven't ventured into this Mommy Fit forum before today but it's a new year and I'm wanting a new me so I look forward to participating in the support system here.

janeybwild
01-03-2004, 10:29 AM
Welcome Anne and Beth, the more the merrier. We have some experienced SB'ers on here who will be a great source of support, and hopefully our enthusiasm will help them too. Well, I'm off to make my breakfast...wish me luck. Can't say I've ever had spinach for breakfast before, but it sounds strangely yummy.

egoldber
01-04-2004, 12:42 AM
Welcome new SB'ers! :) And all repeat after me: "This is NOT a low carb diet!" :) (At least not after Phase 1.)

I usually describe it as having 3 basic principles:

1) low sugar
2) no refined carbs, only whole grain fibers
3) LOTS of vegetables and lean protein

I just live by those basic principles, and it seems to be working for me.

And if you are still hungry after eating a meal, then you probably need to increase your portion sizes. In phase 1, you should be eating at least 2 cups of veggies per meal.

Edited for spelling. :)

janeybwild
01-04-2004, 11:23 AM
Beth, I really like the way you describe the 'plan'. I guess the points you listed are what attracted me to it in the first place. I have a question for you on substitutions 1) Can you substitute vegetable juice for any other veggie (say mushrooms?) 2) I can't find 'laughing cow' cheese. What is it and do you know of a good substitute?
How is the plan going for you in terms of how you are feeling energy wise?

egoldber
01-04-2004, 03:03 PM
You can use tomato juice or V8, but I wouldn'tdrink more than 8 ounces a day.

The Laughing Cow cheese is totally optional, but my local grocery stores all carry it. Sometimes it is in the deli section (near where they keep brie and things like that). You could use peanut butter in celery as a snack instead.

The plan is going fine for me. I haven't noticed any differences in terms of energy level, even during Phase 1 (and neither did DH).

Also, make sure to drink plenty of water to stay adequately hydrated.

HTH,

lizamann
01-04-2004, 09:03 PM
I'm doing it as of yesterday. I made those little spinach quiche thingies and they were tasty, but not exactly quich-y! I'm not craving any carbs after a day and a half. We'll see how it goes...on Atkins last year I felt like I was going to die from carb withdrawal, but I got over it.

And I am bf'ing. Someone tell me if I'm wrong. But I did join a low-carb bf and pregnancy group and they seem to be supportive.

DH said my butt looks smaller already!

janeybwild
01-04-2004, 09:28 PM
Sounds like we are exactly the same point. My spinach thingeys would have been tastier with a dollop of ketchup! Oh well, there's plenty more in the freezer. Did anyone try the riccotta things yet? I gave it a whirl but it was a bit blah with an odd texture. I wonder if I did something wrong. I'm a bit worried about working this week and how I'll do keeping up with the veggies. It feels that I spent the whole weekend washing and chopping vegetables (just goes to show how much processed food I ate before I guess!). Anybody have any tips for Phase I foods to easily pack and go?

egoldber
01-04-2004, 09:40 PM
I have always read that if you are nursing to start with Phase 2. You will lose more slowly, but you'll still lose. I don't honestly know why that Agatston says to start in Phase 2 when nursing, since to be very honest, Phase 1 was much healthier than I ate when I was nursing!

Personally, I thought the spinach quiche things were gross, but that's me.

I have tried all the ricotta desserts. I actually like them, especially the lime one. For some reason, that one really hits the spot for me. But there are definite differences in texture from one brand of ricotta to another, so experiment a bit. Tonight, I used a tip to make several at once in the blender and freeze them. Its supposed to give it a smoother texture. I'll let you know how it goes. But DH hates the ricotta desserts. He prefers sugar free, fat free pudding or else no sugar added fudge bars for dessert.

HTH,

lizamann
01-05-2004, 12:04 AM
I hear you on washing and chopping the vegetables. We fell into the habit of ordering delivery for nearly all our dinners the last year or so, so this is a huge change. I can't believe how much I've run the dishwasher these last few of days! This coupled with homemade baby food - we'll see how long I last. Glad you're all here for support!

I told (okay, whined to) my mom about all the chopping, and she said to buy the pre-chopped stuff in the produce aisle. Not sure I can bring myself to actually do that, but it's a thought.

I like the ricotta - have tried the vanilla and the mocha without the mocha powder (what is that, anyway?). But I've always liked ricotta, especially when my grandpa would put it in cannoli's!

cinrein
01-05-2004, 10:04 AM
I started the SB diet yesterday. Since I am still nursing, I'm adding 2 fruits and 2 breads (whole grain) to the diet, but pretty much using the Phase I recipes since DH is doing Phase I. The breakfasts are so much better in Phase I than Phase II--I wonder why?

We had the Balsamic Chicken for dinner last night. It was very good, but then again how can you go wrong with rosemary, garlic and balsamic vinegar. We also had the Cheese Frittata for breakfast--tasty! Today I'm at work so I brought along 2 of the to-go quiche cups. It's OK, not my favorite. Pretty much tastes like a circle of spinach held together by a little bit of egg.

We also tried the lime ricotta and mocha ricottas last night---both were much better than I thought they would be. Whoever said they didn't like the texture of their ricotta, I second the suggestion of trying different brands. My Dad makes ravioli and other filled pastas for a living and actually buys 2 different brands of ricotta to get the texture he wants for the fillings. (And so now you know how I ended up on the SB diet.)

FYI--BJs has a 3-pack of Laughing Cow Light cheese in the separate case that has the fancier cheeses.

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

Elilly
01-05-2004, 05:43 PM
Beth or any other SB book reader,
I haven't purchased the book (trying to save $ to go part time so I'm being disciplined!) but am curious to know if it is acceptable/ recommended to use the SB diet and be pregnant?
Thanks!

egoldber
01-05-2004, 09:16 PM
That's actually one of the reasons I picked the SB, since we are TTC. You can do Phase 3 while pregnant, and even Phase 2 if you are very overweight and under the guidance of a physician. Just not Phase 1.

HTH,

janeybwild
01-05-2004, 09:43 PM
Good tip on the ricotta. I used the blender (the first time it has been out of the box since the wedding I might add) and made the lime one, and it was yummy. I did find the laughing cow cheese in the fancy cheese section, so thanks for the pointer there too.

I made the salmon with baked veggy medley for dinner tonight and it too was yummy. DH asked me if I am still "on my diet"! So far I haven't noticed any cravings. Do they hit you at some point? I sort of thought that if I was craving stuff it would be now. But, for the few weeks before I started SB, I had cut down on bread and regular potatoes, so perhaps that helped?

Anyway, have to say that I am pleasantly surprised by how great how feel. Lots of energy and continued enthusiasm. There's something very wonderful about having a plan and doing it, regardless of any change in the exterior.

stillplayswithbarbies
01-06-2004, 12:24 AM
>
> and Karen
>(stillplayswithbarbies) have been doing it for a while and are
>great resources.

I do a combination of Atkins, the Curves plan, and Sugar Busters, but it is a similar concept of low carb as South Beach.

Just don't make me tell you how many gingerbread men I ate over the holidays. :)

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

egoldber
01-06-2004, 01:20 PM
For some reason, store brand ricottas seem to be much creamier than "name" brands. And making the dessert in the blender made a HUGE difference!

Annette_C
01-07-2004, 12:22 AM
Oh, and Annette (Annette_C) too! (are you back on the bandwagon, Annette?)

LOL! Here I am, Sarah, back on phase 1 of SBD since DH and I ate every carb in CT over the 2 week holiday period!
Needless to say, I gained back 5 lbs (also had a few glasses of champagne with those sweet carbs!) and didn't exercise at all to top it all off! Oh well, it was fun while it lasted...LOL:)
Now, it's back to work time. DH and I started yesterday on phase 1 again and we're still doing it our way (using the list of allowed foods and some of the recipes). I also bought a couple of new cookbooks, one is called 500 low-carb recipes, and the other is the new revised atkins cookbook (this new revised version looks a lot more like the SBD).
One other thing, I noticed that there's a line of low-carb frozen dinners now available. They're expensive but they're good. I tried the creole salmon in a cajun sauce with spinach, broccoli and mushrooms tonight and it was tasty.
It will be nice to compare notes here and get support from one another.
Good luck...to all of us!:)
Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

janeybwild
01-07-2004, 10:19 PM
Annette, it sounds like you had a wonderful holiday! Welcome back to the SB fold. I'd be interested in any new recipes you find for Phase 1. I'm only at day 5, but am starting to see that I will be repeating a lot of the same recipes next week unless I get some other ideas. On then plus side, I don't feel quite so bulgy (is that a word?!). Perhaps more lumpy than bulgy :). Good luck.

janeybwild
01-09-2004, 11:00 AM
The other thread (from emmasmoma) reminded me to share our progress so far. That is an inspiring thread. Way to go gals!
How are you doing this week? I am so amazed by this eating plan (it can't be a diet can it when you're never hungry?). My jeans are noticably looser on the thighs and waist. I have worked out three times this week and by Day 6 I have lost 7 lbs. That is the scary part. I find it hard to believe that this is water weight since I have been guzzling water like a camel, and, since I haven't actually been hungry I'm not "starving myself". But, I am wary of losing too fast too soon. I know this is expected in Phase 1, but does anybody know where it has all come from? Beth any thoughts?
Recipes that I loved from week 1 were the salmon with rosemary, SB mashed potatoes, the ginger mahi-mahi, and the lime ricota dessert.
Anybody have a good recipe for spaghetti squash? (whatever that is!)
Would love to hear how others are doing this week if you feel inclined to share.

lizamann
01-09-2004, 01:58 PM
I've lost about 4 pounds since Saturday. I guess that's pretty good. Last night I was really craving sweets for the first time, and I hate to admit what I did... I opened a packet of Splenda and ate it by dipping my finger in there Fun Dip-style. Must have looked pretty pathetic, but it actually did the trick and lasted a lot longer than you might imagine. I am in no way recommending this method, though.

janeybwild
01-09-2004, 02:28 PM
LOL....very ingenious! I felt like I really wanted chocolate last night (the lunar phase?!), so splurged on a sugar-free fudgsicle. Delish!
Congrats on your self-restraint. 4 pounds is great!