PDA

View Full Version : Good-bye scale, hello tape measure!

mamahill
01-02-2004, 02:49 PM
Ok, my New Year's resolution is to measure. I have realized that after progressively feeling more and more mushy, and seeing the scale not register real weight gain, that my problem is more exercise/eating related, than it is weight-related. And in August we're going with my family to Kauai where one day we are going to kayak the Napali Coast for a day - an experience that is challenging for the physically fit, and suicidal for the couch/computer potato. Enter, my plan.

1. Begin SBD on Monday.
2. Exercise regularly.
3. Measure results with a tape measure - thighs, hips, waist, biceps, etc.

I have DH's full support and he's joining me on this. I gave him the Men's Health Home Workout Bible and he said it was even better than he anticipated. It has a whole section on working out at home without weights - just household items, milk jugs, cans, etc. So there's plug for that, if anyone's husband is looking to exercise but not knowing where to start (DH doesn't like videos).

And lastly - I would recommend anyone to get a pedometer. I've seen them and heard about them, but this year I got one from a Secret Santa gift and I'm OBSESSED with it. For a healthy heart, you should be going 10,000 steps (something I have yet to acheive - although I forgot to wear it the day I played Ultimate Frisbee for an hour, and the day I went shopping at a huge mall for 4 hours - grrrr). But it has totally served as a motivator to get moving. When I go to the store I think, "I'll park way out here to get more steps."

Anyway, the way I'm going to measure my success is with my tape measure and my pedometer (have I mentioned how much I love this thing?). That's my plan and I'm sticking to it...

houseof3boys
01-02-2004, 05:20 PM
You're so cute. I think that is totally true about forget the scale. I am 2 pounds off of my pp weight but I am one big jiggle. My pp clothes don't fit, unless you count just barely being able to button the pants/jeans/skirt and have a roll of blubber hang over. :)

That's good advice about the pedometer. I have always wanted one and that might be great motivation for me. I park far away more often now just so I can walk more since I am totally lazy when it's cold outside to go for a "real" walk.

Do you read Allure mag? I love it and it's one of my favs. Anyway, last year they followed progress of 2 different girls and showed measurements for each and that was amazing to watch how it changed from month to month and the pics were awesome. These girls weren't tiny either and both are still a little "healthy" looking but what an amazing transformation to see with the measurements and how some parts are just destined to be large on some women.

Go get em Sarah!!!

janeybwild
01-02-2004, 05:43 PM
Great idea with the pedometer. I've seen them for $30 at the Discovery Store. Anybody seen them cheaper? I wonder if stepping in place as I surf the boards counts?!

mamahill
01-02-2004, 09:08 PM
LOL at the stepping in place while on the boards! I've seen them at a sports store (Copeland sports) locally. I'm thinking of getting one for DH and I saw one for $15 there. Some of them only count distance, so check to make sure if you really want the step counter.

JulieL
01-05-2004, 03:21 PM
Your right, measuring is the way to go. When I first started working out for the first year I measured about every 6 weeks and boy I did see a difference! Good for you for having a healthy attitude instead of being crazed by the scale!