PDA

View Full Version : Dieting & your DH: I need to lose, he needs to gain--what to do?

justlearning
01-02-2004, 03:01 PM
I want to start losing weight but will need to reduce my carb intake and elimiate sweets in order to do so. Problem is, my DH is skinny and doesn't need to lose weight--if anything he needs to gain--and when I've changed what I buy and make for us in the past he ends up losing weight too, which he doesn't want to do.

He loves junkfood and sweets, but I can't have them in the house or I'll end up eating them too. He also loves high-carb foods (pasta, etc.) which I'm going to have to elimiate, as much as I love them. Frankly, I lack the willpower to be able to make him his own delicious meal and dessert while not eating any of it, but I also don't want to make him suffer or end up losing weight on account of me.

Are any of you in this same situation? What has worked in your household?

I would appreciate any tips that you might have! TIA.

jubilee
01-02-2004, 05:13 PM
I also have a skin-and-bones hubby. He is 6'1" and only 160 pounds. Tom just can't put on weight easily. (I wish I could be like that!) I buy treats for him that I don't like- flavored potato chips (I only eat plain ones), peanuts, pecan ice cream, etc. Since I don't like those things, I am not tempted to eat them. He also drinks a protein drink, called "weight gainer gold" from GNC. I buy whole milk for him and he mixes it with the protein powder. Anyway, I can understand what you are going through! It is awful when I outweigh my hubby.

mamahill
01-02-2004, 05:15 PM
My DH has an amazing metabolism as well. He is worried, though, that once he hits 30, it will totally reverse and he'll end up gaining lots of weight like his dad and brother. So this year we're kind of on similar regimens.

First, have you looked at the South Beach Diet? It is all about reducing carbs and sweets and upping protein. I like how Beth said earlier to not think of it as a "diet" as much as a lifestyle change. DH really likes the stress on lots of vegetables, fresh when possible. I told DH that if he wanted junk food, he'd have to get it at work or while he was out, because he wouldn't get it here. He actually would prefer to eliminate it as well.

Second, I don't know if this is similar for your DH, but mine only gains weight when he works out. I would say "bulk up" but that's being generous;). That being said, though, for Christmas I got him a set of 15lb and 20lb dumbells, a swiss ball (one of those big ol balls you can basically use as a workout bench - but it's more challenging), and 'The Men's Health Home Workout Bible' since we can't afford a gym membership. I already have 5, 7, and 10-lb dumbell sets. I had read a lot of good reviews on the book and knew that DH wanted some direction besides a workout video (he hates them). He read the book in 2 days and loved it. It is broken up into three sections - for those just using household items, those using dumbells, and those working out on a gym, or the like. DH said he has learned a lot about how to workout effectively from the book. He also talked to some guys at work who go to the gym and asked them what has been successful for them. The response was to work out and eat a ton. This brings us back to the SBD.

Going on the same eating plan will afford you the flexibility of eating as much as you need. No separate meal preparation or shopping. No temptations. From what I've read, you can both have the results you desire.

I hope that made sense (I had to take a break to clean up olives from the floor and cheese on the wall - I've got a real sneezer). Whatever you decide, I think finding a plan you can both succeed with together is going to be key. I know I wouldn't last long if I had to make separate meals for DH and Ainsleigh - yuck!