PDA

View Full Version : Low Carb and TTC?

alleyoop
01-04-2004, 11:43 PM
In the new Feb. Parenting mag, on page 92, it says that "Atkins-style [dieting]- can produce compounds in the blood called ketones, which are toxic to a fetus." Does anyone have more information on this? Could these ketones contribute to infertility? Is it safe to eat low-carb? Would it be acceptable to add carbs back in after the BFP?

egoldber
01-05-2004, 12:24 AM
I will preface this by saying that I know nothing about the Atkins diet. But I would personally not follow a diet that has the body in a state of ketosis during pregnancy. I would try to follow a more moderate diet, that is high in vegetables, lean proteins, and complex, whole grain carbs.

stillplayswithbarbies
01-05-2004, 08:16 PM
From the research I did when I was TTC and doing Atkins, the ketones do not contribute to infertility. Actually, for people with PCOS, low carb eating can help you to conceive. I am certain that eating low carb is part of what allowed me to conceive after trying for 4 years.

The research that I did made me decide not to be in ketosis once I got pregnant. (you can do Atkins and not be in ketosis) If you do a search on ketosis and pregnant or fetus, you will find some information. Most of it has to do with people who have hyperemesis gravida (I may not be spelling that right, it is the severe morning sickness where you can't eat and are therefore producing ketones contantly) But even then, most people have healthy babies.

My reasons were that Dr. Atkins himself says to be at the maintenance level of Atkins during pregnancy, and I found some references to mental retardation in the fetus when there is a chronic presence of ketones. I figured it wasn't worth the chance.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

Elilly
01-06-2004, 05:32 PM
I just found out that I am pg and was on the Atkins diet for 10 days after I had conceived. While I am concerned (I stopped the Atkins diet immediately), I am not too worried b/c you can also enter ketosis from having severe morning sickness too. The body can't keep food in so it decides to get energy from itself and burn the fat for energy. Maybe I'm just trying to rationalize my decision but I'm hoping that for that short time, no damage is done. I already feel guilty about having consumed a couple of diet cokes too- ugh! Under the advice of my Dr I am going to not diet but eat healthy and try to eat unprocessed carbs. He definitely did not recommend the low carb diet for me while pregnant. HTH