PDA

View Full Version : Any favorite recipes using no flour and no sugar?

SASM
01-07-2004, 03:28 AM
DH has been on this "lifestyle change" for about a month (minus a few days around the holidays) and has had no problem eliminating sweets, breads, pasta, pizza, etc. from his diet. He REALLY wants me to join him but someone has to finish the pantryful of carbs! I figure that it will be easier for both us us to stick to a "lifestyle change" if both of us are seriously committed to it ~ we have to think of Ian's future diet.

Anyway, I KNOW that there are certain times of the month that I will want a handful or two of chocolate or a piece of pizza. That would ruin me :( Does anyone have any favorite "breadish" and sweet (chocolate but NOT chocolate, etc.) recipes to share to help me through the rough times? I am also counting calories so it would be AWESOME if the recipe is low-fat but beggars cannot be choosers, right?!! I AM okay with the pasta cravings, as spaghetti squash is a God send!! Gosh am I going to miss pizza!! I don't have it often but, boy, will I miss it :(

Just a little background info: This is NOT the Adkins Diet. We are just eliminating all products that have any type of SUGAR (high fructose corn syrup, etc.) and any type of FLOUR in the ingredients. Honey, molasses, etc. (natural state sweeteners) are okay. NO "flour" or "sugar". I THINK Suconat is okay, but I am not certain. I think that ezekiel bread is also okay but it is just NOT the same!!!

Can I just say that I am AMAZED at how common HFCS is as an ingredient!! I have always been a label reader but I just never knew how common a ingredient this was ~ holy cow!! It's everywhere ~ in the most unsuspecting prepared foods!!!

Watch out rice cakes (a.k.a. styrofoam) ~ here I come!!!

THANK YOU...I hope :)

cinrein
01-07-2004, 12:13 PM
Not a recipe, but one thing I thought of was chocolate graham crackers. They are low fat and I find they satisfy a chocolate craving. One graham cracker with some peanut butter spread on it and some mini chocolate chips (if you are really hurting) with a good cup of coffee is wonderful! Also, a choco graham with some Cool Whip spread on it is a treat too!

Another thing to consider is to keep a bar of really good chocolate around. If you are having a rough time, you can break off a small square and slowly savor it. I can do this without eating the entire bar all at once, but I realize not everyone can.

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

SASM
01-07-2004, 01:08 PM
Cindy,

Thank you so much for the suggestion! Unfortunately, any type of chocolate is a no-no (contains sugar) and I'd think that the same goes for most graham crackers. That is my problem...my HUGE problem :( That IS an awesome snack, though!! Great way to get a "healthy" chocolate snack in the mix :)

ETA: WOW!! Can I just add that is quite some willpower you have there! I have TRIED keeping individual, Halloween-sized Ghirardelli Caramel chocolate squares and individually-wrapped Reese's PB Cups around to have occasionally when I thought that my willpower was in on track. One day DH broke into the bags and that was the end of me!! I had those bags in my pantry for 2 MONTHS and all it took was one of DH's rare cravings to break me ~ YIKES!!! That was the end of me and I was doing soooo well up until that point. So...really yummy chocolate bars are taboo in my house as soon as the pasta, etc are cleared out!! I wish that I could just donate ALL of the stuff but I hate to get rid of all that money :( It would just be sooo much easier.

lizamann
01-07-2004, 01:31 PM
Sorry this isn't breadish, but it is chocolatey and sweet.

Mocha ricotta dessert in the South Beach diet:

1/2 cup part skim ricotta
1/4 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 packet of sugar sub (I like Splenda)

Mix it all together. Pretty yummy. The actual recipe also calls for some mocha powder and 5 mini chocolate chips, but you could skip those.

Another non-breadish chocolatey treat is hot cocoa using the recipe on the Hershey's cocoa can. Just use a sugar substitute.

SASM
01-07-2004, 03:10 PM
Wow...That sounds yummy!!

What is the South Beach diet?? I am so curious...I've heard about it but have no idea what it involves. Or maybe I don't want to know...just another diet to consider :)

THANK YOU!! Got any more?? :)

egoldber
01-07-2004, 03:58 PM
Lots of us are doing the SBD here! Its sort of the trendy new thing, but at the same time, its really just a sensible diet. Here are the basic principles:

1) Choose foods very low in natural sugar, and with no added sugars
2) No refined carbs, only whole grain carbs
3) No hydrogenated oils
4) Lots of vegetables and lean protein

The "diet" has 3 phases. The first 1, called originally enough Phase 1, is the withdrawal phase. He has you do a very strict plan which excludes ALL bread, pastas, potatoes, alcohol, fruits and even high sugar veggies like carrots. Thsi is for 2 weeks.

In Phase 2, you add back in whole grain carbs, low sugar fruits and wine (preferable red). He still recommends avoiding high sugar foods like carrots and potatoes completely.

Once you reach your goal weight, you move to Phase 3, which is more liberal yet again, but at the same time, you still only eat whole grain carbs and avoid high sugar foods.

HTH,

SASM
01-07-2004, 04:18 PM
THANK YOU so much, Beth!! It almost sounds like what DH wants to do. Sounds interesting and more flexible than the "No Sugar, No Glutens" diet.

Do you know if it is okay with lactation and/or pregnancy? I know that the OB should be consulted, of course, but just curious what the book says about the subject.

egoldber
01-07-2004, 04:43 PM
For breastfeeding moms he says that Phase 2 or 3 is fine. For pregnant moms, he recommends Phase 3, but Phase 2 can also be done is you start out very overweight and under the guidance of a physician. And he recommends that all women take a calcium supplement.

HTH,

cinrein
01-07-2004, 05:17 PM
For what it's worth, I had gestational diabetes and the diet I was put on to control the diabetes was nearly identical to Phase 3 of the South Beach Diet. So I'd say it's ok with lactation and pregnancy, but still a good idea to check with your OB to make sure you are eating enough calories.

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03