PDA

View Full Version : For those who remember: How much weight....

aliceinwonderland
01-09-2004, 06:44 PM
did you gain through your pregnancies,how much by week 25, and have you been able to lose much of it?
The nurse berated me last time I saw the doc for gaining 7 (yes, SEVEN)pounds in the last month, for a scary total of 21 pounds by week 24...I REALLY need to slow down, but the baby has developped a VERY sudden sweet tooth. Ugh!

eri and the bean, due April 04 :)

JulieL
01-09-2004, 07:04 PM
I gained 40 lbs in all. I am not sure how much I weighed by 24. Beware of the super size, I think that is what did me in. But hey I lost all of it so you live and learn. Next time I hope I can eat a little healthier. I totally understand the sweet tooth deal!!! Hope you have a great pregnancy!

mamahill
01-09-2004, 07:08 PM
I gained 35, and think that most of it was in the latter half of my pregnancy, but remember all too well the nurse lecturing me on not drinking juice or eating potatoes after I gained 7 pounds in two weeks - two WEEKS.

I'm below pre-pg wait now, but not as toned, go figure. Put your mind to it, and you'll lose it after. Make sure you're eating healthy stuff, and if you're still craving sweet stuff, well then, the baby *must* need it;).

bluej
01-09-2004, 07:12 PM
W/ my first, I gained 48 pounds. I never lost all of that :( I lost about 35 of it the first year and pretty much pooped out after that. W/ my second I gained 21 lbs. I had lost 19 of that by the time I left the hospital and lost the other two by two weeks (this might explain why he's my favorite - just kidding of course). W/ my third I gained 27 lbs. He's 7 months and I have only lost about 15 pounds. As for how much I had gained by week 25, I have no idea. W/ my first I pretty much gained throughout the entire pregnancy. W/ my second I didn't start gaining until well into the second trimester, same w/ my third. I gained A LOT in that second trimester!

COElizabeth
01-09-2004, 08:15 PM
I gained 49 pounds and lost all of it by about 9 months post-partum. I am pretty sure I had gained at least as much as you and probably more by week 24, and I also had one check-up when I had gained about 11 pounds in 6 weeks, I think? The nurse did remark on the large gain but said, "but it has been 6 weeks." She didn't really criticize me or anything, and the doctor never said a word. I would try to gain less with a second pregnancy, but I don't think I am programmed to be one of those people who gains only 18 pounds. Just do what you can to eat healthfully, and don't stress about it!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

miki
01-09-2004, 10:46 PM
There was one month when I gained around 7 pounds and I got the raised eyebrows from the nurse and OB. I can't remember when exactly it was but somewhere in the 2nd trimester. I gained 35 pounds total and I have about 5 pounds left. I'm hoping the last 5 can be attributed to the breastfeeding boobs.

I don't know about you, Eri, but my weight has always fluctuated throughout the day by a few pounds depending on how much I've been eating and drinking. My OB visits were not always at the same time of day so it didn't bother me if it seemed like I gained a little more or less from visit to visit.

aliceinwonderland
01-09-2004, 11:28 PM
Thanks, everyone! I wouldn't feel so bad about my weight (EVERYONE says I don't show it), but the nurse REALLY yelled at me this time. I know it's for my own good, but geez!

thanks again,
eri

COElizabeth
01-10-2004, 01:54 PM
Maybe my nurse and OB should have said more to me about my weight gain, but personally, I would switch practices if any nurse actually yelled at me or was rude to me. I think it's condescending and not at all helpful. If my OB had had a grown-up conversation with me and said that she was concerned I might be endangering the health of me or my baby, I would have made some big diet changes, but that was not the case. BTW, my sister had a nurse lecture once about too-rapid weight gain, too, so she really cracked down on her calories, and then she got a stomach bug and lost weight before the next visit. Then they backed off pretty quickly! Take care!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

aliceinwonderland
01-10-2004, 07:22 PM
I agree, her talk wasn't productive at all, I was almost in tears by the time I left...The only good thing is that my doctor is a really nice guy, he did mention the rapid gain, but said that he can't really say anything to me, because he's overeating too during the holidays, and then he expects everyone that came in that week to be a little high on the weight gain...

Thanks so much!!

eri:)

LD92599
01-11-2004, 09:31 AM
I gained 50 pounds (don't remember the # at week 25!) and lost it all plus 2 pounds I'd say within the last month or so...i'm bad about getting on the scale!

Laura
mom to William

lukkykatt
01-11-2004, 04:50 PM
ITA. If the nurse was rude to you or berated you to the point that you were in tears, I would talk to the Dr. or office manager about it and at least request that you have a different nurse from now on. That is totally uncalled for.

One time, I gained 5 pounds in one month, and then at my next visit I gained nothing, so I think sometimes it evens out too.

new_mommy25
01-12-2004, 02:51 AM
I gained about 44 lbs. It freaked me out because I was very thin before but the doctor kept reassuring me not to worry and I was prefectly healthy. In fact she kept telling me how amazed she was at how great my pregnancy went along and I know she would tell me immediatly if something was wrong. I switched OB's in my 4th month and it was the best decision I ever made. If you are uncomfortable, please switch OB's. After all, you are the one paying the $$. You should be happy after you leave every appointment.

1ontheway
01-12-2004, 12:53 PM
At last week's checkup I had gained 30 but that's after gaining 2 lbs for the 3 weeks in a row. Yikes. Holidays/DH's graduation didn't help. I can't remember what it was at 24 weeks, but agree with a previous poster that it goes up and down. I've had a couple of bad weeks, but also times where I didn't gain much at all. Just do your best and remember it takes 9 months to put it on... That's what I keep telling myself anyway. :) I also have a friend that gained 60lbs and lost it in 9 months so that's been encouraging as well.

Christina
EDD 1/12/04

CBB
01-12-2004, 08:20 PM
I gained 7 lbs from wk 17-21. I'm now at 28wks, and I think I gained total of about 15 lbs so far(don't know for sure, to be weighed tomorrow). I actually had lost few lbs 1st trimester. How much you should gain depends on your pre-pregnancy wt. I think the books say that you should gain about 20-35lb -- more if you were underwt before pregnancy. Most of the women I know had gained about 35-50lbs during their pregnancy and managed to lose most of the baby fat at the end w/o too much problem. I wouldn't worry if I were you. I do agree that you should have a balanced diet. Although I haven't been doing that so well myself.:P

Li
Soon-To-Be-First-Time-Mommy
Baby Jasmine EDD 4/1/03

amp
01-16-2004, 07:51 PM
I gained a total of 24 lbs. I ate so healthy during the pregnancy that I actually lost weight after DS was born. Unfortunately, I've gained it all back. I've actually gone in reverse. There was a month during the second trimester where i gained 10 lbs and the doctor was a tad concerned, but when I questioned her on it, she said she wasn't really surprised considering how little I'd gained until that point. She said as long as I didn't do it again, things would be fine. And I didn't do it again.

rhymeswithfizz
01-19-2004, 06:37 PM
I've already packed on 48 pounds at 36 weeks... unfortunately most of it during the holidays, which coincided with the return of my appetite at the same time I had to stop my exercise program (horsebackriding), so my metabolism went down the drain. I went through a stage where I was ravenously hungry all the time, with too many yummy holiday goodies within reach at the same time. That stunk! Fortunately I am tall (5'10) and it doesn't really look like that much.

My appetite has fortunately returned to normal now, and gaining weight at a more normal pace! I can't wait to be able to exercise again. I've pulled a few abdominal muscles so I'm moving pretty slowly these days....