PDA

View Full Version : Weight/Resistance Training books?

alleyoop
01-17-2004, 12:10 PM
Hi!
Does anyone have a weight training/resistance training book that they really like? I started the Outside Magazine "Best Shape of Your Life" program, but think that the weight training part is REALLY tailored for guys, very upper-body results driven. HELLO? 50 PUSHUPS? Um....no.

I am looking for a book that has great pictures of exercises for women that use standard free-weights, medicine ball, and Swiss ball for starts (that is the stuff I have).

BTW, besides this complaint, I really like this program. It has three days a week of endurance training (using a heart rate monitor and time) and two days a week of strength training. Of course, it is kicking my butt, but that is to be expected. If anyone wants to do it with me, check out the website. http://outside.away.com/outside/bodywork/200205/200205shape_of_your_life.html

JulieL
01-18-2004, 05:57 PM
I know Shape Magazine put out a very comprehensive workout book. I flipped through it and it seemed good, although I didn't buy it. It definately is geared for women. There is a book by Bob Greene called "Get With The Program", which is to be good. The book also has a companion journal you can buy. I haven't tried it but he is Oprah's trainer and in his interviews that I have seen, he seems to be very balanced. I too am trying to do your same type of workout program: two days weights , 3 cardio/pilates. Although I didn't do so hot this week, there's always next week. Hope this is helpful. Oh, Curves has a book out that I saw at Target, but I am sure it is machine based on the workouts since that is what there program uses, but could be worth a look! Good luck, hope you post your progresses with us!

egoldber
01-18-2004, 06:56 PM
Any suggestions for beginners? I am thinking that I would like to start adding this into my routine, but I would prefer to start really simple and easy.

I also have rheumatoid arthritis, so I need to be fairly cautious.

Thanks!

JulieL
01-18-2004, 08:59 PM
Beth what did you want to add, weight training or cario workouts?

egoldber
01-18-2004, 09:22 PM
Oh sorry, weight training! All I do now is cardio!

JulieL
01-19-2004, 01:48 PM
Kathy Smith has a new workout video that includes weight training that looks very good. Here is the link:

http://www.collage-video.com/cart/default.aspx

I have one of her kickboxing workouts and I find she is wonderful at instructing. She is not annoying and she gives good tips on how to very the workout for your level. She is older and I am sure more in tune to keeping with people of all levels.

Here is another video by Denise Austin, if you care for her instructing style that incorporates weight training:

http://www.collage-video.com/cart/default.aspx

I find she is also good in instructing and showing different levels for the workouts as well. Although her cheerleader style sometimes drives me crazy, but to each there own right? Still I have several of her videos and find them all good workouts inspite of her voice!

Of course there is alway the Firm videos but I am sure you have seen all the posts on them. These videos in this post cost less to do so maybe they are a better place to start.

And lastly here is another by Kathy Smith that is geared for those going through menopause. I AM NOT SAYING YOU ARE GOING THROUGH MENOPAUSE OR ARE ANYWHERE NEAR IT!!! But I am sure it is an even lower key type of workout that may be good componant with your arthritis. Please don't take an offense to the suggestion, cause I am trying to do the opposite! :7 If this isn't helpful for you maybe it will be for someone else. Good luck in trying weight training, it is so worth it!

JulieL
01-19-2004, 08:22 PM
Ok I didn't realize that my links only went to the main site for Collage Video. Here are the video's I was talking about. If you type in the instructor's name or the video name they should come up.

Kathy Smith: Kathy Smith Lift Weights to Lose Weight 2
Kathy Smith Moving Through Menopause

Denise Austin: Denise Austin Ultimate Fat Burner

Of course there are others but these are the ones I was talking about. Sorry the links didn't quite work out!

egoldber
01-19-2004, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the info! I'll check it out.

alleyoop
01-20-2004, 04:56 PM
Beth, I found two books that you might like:

Weight Training Made Easy: Transform Your Body in Four Simple Steps by Joyce Vedral. She has good pictures of the exercises, a plan to do them and tear out pages in the back of the book to tape up. However, half of the book is her High carb, low fat diet explained, which will be of no use to you.

and

Women's Strenght Training Anatomy by Frederic Delavier. This book shows all the exercises of the abs, back legs and butt by showing you the muscles involved. However, it doesn't contain any arms work, and you have to do the rep/how much weight work on your own. It is more of a reference, I think.

That is what I have found so far, in case you are interested.

lizamann
01-20-2004, 06:54 PM
I second Joyce Vedral. I don't have the above book, but 2 others that are pretty good (even though a little dated by now in terms of hairstyles): Bottoms Up and Definition.