PDA

View Full Version : Triathlon training buddies?

kapow
01-17-2004, 01:31 PM
DH challenged me to do the Chicago Triathlon this year in August. I've done several in the past, however this would be the first *anything* I've done since Ian's birth, and also I've agreed to do the full distance - a 1-mile swim, 26-mile bike ride, and a 10k run.

I'd love to find an email buddy to swap training notes with. I can't interest any of my girlfriends in Chicago to do the tri with me (chickens :)) although DH and his best friend are signed up. I started working out in earnest this week. I've done a few miles on the stationary bike and have run three miles so far. Today I'm getting back into the pool - my weakest event.

Let me know if this is your kind of thing! If you're a runner only I'd love to chat too.

papal
01-17-2004, 04:10 PM
Kelly,
I have always admired you triathloners. My dh did one when he was in his 20s and I have always wanted to do one but am terribly out of shape for even a 5K.
I just wanted to wish you all the very best for your training and good luck! Do keep us updated on your progress.

lizamann
01-17-2004, 05:25 PM
Geez louise...I did 3 triathlons a couple summers ago, including Chicago, but I have to say this is the furthest thing from my mind right now! I can't imagine even doing a 10k by August! I really want to start exercising again but haven't figured it out yet. And I think that I won't be doing tri's again because of the swimming and biking - just too much of a pain to train for. I would like to get back into running, though. Just lace up those shoes and go...

Best of luck with that! Keep us posted on your training. Maybe I'll see you on the lakefront path!

lizamann
01-17-2004, 05:25 PM
oops - double post due to NAK!

jenmcadams
01-19-2004, 07:19 PM
Kelly -

First of all congrats on signing up for the Chicago Tri. I'm a former college runner and just got into triathlons this past year after watching my DH do several Ironman events over the past couple of years. I did an Olympic distance race (1500M swim, 42K bike, 10K run) in Boulder, CO (near where I live) last August and did a 1/2 Ironman in FL in October. After doing the first two races I was hooked :) I'm actually signed up for Ironman Wisconsin (Sept 04) and I'm just getting started on my Ironman training.

I'm still finalizing my training program for Wisconsin, but I'd be happy to email back and forth if you think it would be helpful ([email protected]). Also, check out www.trinewbies.com for some good tips. The training plans and articles are great and the discussion forums there are full of friendly people with lots of info. You could also probably do a search and find some race reports from the Chicago Tri last year. I think the race reports are one of the best things about the TriNewbies forums.

Good luck and drop me an email if you'd like!