PDA

View Full Version : OPRAH'S SHOW INSPIRED ME!!!!

NEVE and TRISTAN
01-19-2004, 07:26 PM
She had her trainer on there making people sign contracts to eat better/lose weight...I'm in...look at me visiting a forum that I never come to...

I don't even own a scale!!!!
We are going out tonight to get one...

I was always the smallest growing up, never wore a "2" but never wore a "6"...I was a 4 thru highschool , gained in college (all women's school that was known for it's cooking) but maxed out at 128 and then after graduating returned to my size "4"...and stayed at 115lbs during my fun single days...

Till I met my husband aobut 8 years out of college, who is a huge eater (and so am I)...he cooks up a storm, and is Fillipino so he cooks everything with rice, I love every second of it and eat it with a smile.

This past week I made two recipes from the BBB thread several months ago...both dishes were AWESOME and all carbs-did I say they were AWESOME????!!!

Pull a dessert cart by me at a Five Star restaurant it does NOTHING for me, not even tempted...but put that bread down in front of me or put me infront of a "pasta" bar and I get so excited I can't even contain myself.

I use to run all of the time, the most I have run is 22 miles and was a regional, state runner in highschool. Now I couldn't run a block I am certain.

I gained 17lbs with Tristan (but was over weight before conception so don't be too impressed)...I actually lost most of it right away...but I guess I am in denial because 10 days ago I stepped on a scale at Sam's club and darn thing must have been broken (HUGE WINK)
because I weighed more than I weighed when I delivered Tristan.

I am going to try to lose 30 lbs...and by writing this out I am inspired more...

My down side is I am trying to conceive number two...

I plan on just staying away from bread, carbs, pasta, soda and to work out. My husband's new company has a huge work out facilitiy and spouses can use it evidently for free...and I have already found out that the loop around the golf course is atleast 5 miles!!!

Anyway sigining the contract at tonight!!!!
http://www.getwiththeprogram.org/selling.html

Having to hide that huge Santa Fe pasta dish I made (and doubled) in the fridge...and I'm starting RIGHT NOW...
Neve
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

JulieL
01-19-2004, 08:18 PM
Neve,
WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so excited for you to make this vow to yourself! If you didn't already know (I am saying this because you said you haven't visited here) we post every monday what we did for the following week. These posts are meant to encourage us and keep us acountable. I urge you to post even if you didn't workout but ate better. This is all about having a healthier life style for you AND your family.
So if you are TTC I would talk to your doctor on how to go about this. I have heard of woman losing weight in a healthy way while being pregnant. Ok let me explain before a ton of our pregnant gals go on diets. So let's say you are 30 lbs over where you should be for your body type BEFORE you are pregnant. What you don't want to do (if helped) is to gain 25lbs during your pregnancy leaving you with 45 lbs give or take after the pregnancy. I think they say the average woman loses 10 lbs after delivery. There IS a healthy way to curve what you eat, workout and come out pregnant at a healthy weight. I DO NOT know exactly how to achieve this so I HIGHLY recommend you consult your doctor. Tell him/her you are worried about reaching an unhealthy or even obese weight after pregnancy. Then I would suggest you get a registered dietitian to help you out. Here is a link to American Dietetic Association. You can find out here more about the credentials that an RD has and what you should look for. My husband is in medical school and has already had a couple different RD's come to talk to his class. So I personally would think an RD is the best way to go. But what do I know, I'm not a doctor (and neither is my hubby, yet)

http://www.eatright.org/Public/PublicDietitianDisclaimerAdvanced.htm

So many people call themselves nutriantists, dietitians and so on. What you need to do is look at their credentials BIG time. This is why I think a referral from your doctor would be best. There are several workout videos for pregnant woman so yes you can workout and be pregnant. So first good luck with trying to get pregnant, second we would love to hear from you every week, third let me know what your doctor says I would find this very educational.

mamahill
01-19-2004, 08:23 PM
Go Neve! You CAN do it!! And why is TTC a down side? I've known several women who had had trouble conceiving and then started dieting and BAM - they got pg. It's amazing how altering just a little of your diet/exercise can have so much to do with your hormones/insides.

I just finished the first two weeks of the SBD (basically carb-free) and it was a killer. I am a carb NUT (oooh, but I HAVE discovered how great nuts are!) and I was EXTREMELY cranky (plus, I was PMS-y, not a good combo). But it IS possible. With Annette telling me SHE could do it (since she is the the Pasta Princess!), I knew I could too. In the first couple weeks I've lost 5 lbs, at least .75" off my waist, and I have WAY more energy than I had before. I do errands and cleaning in the morning, read a little in the afternoon while Ainsleigh is napping, and then get even more done in the afternoon. I've re-organized my garage and cleaned out closets.

And yes, get rid of the stuff you crave. I sent Joel to work with all the candy, chips and pasta that I didn't want any more. Stock your fridge with veggies, cheese and lean meats. Drown yourself (ok, not really) in water.

You CAN do it!! You don't even need a scale - just a tape measure. Measure your bust, waist, hips/butt, and thigh (if you dare), and then measure every couple weeks. Yay for you!

JulieL
01-19-2004, 08:25 PM
I am adding one more thing. Here is a cookbook I picked up that is wonderful by Better Homes and Gardens. It's packed with all your favorite recipes but made more lower in fat, calories and so on. I highly recommend it and love everything I have made from it. It's not a diet, but a healthier way to cook:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0696217112/qid=1074557606/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/002-3425641-1459250

JulieL
01-19-2004, 08:27 PM
What a great reminder Sarah: MEASURE, MEASURE AND MEASURE AWAY, literally!!!

You will see more by the tape measure than you will by the scale, and your pants will prove it!

egoldber
01-19-2004, 09:10 PM
Go Neve! I was right where you are at the beginning of Novemeber! I also used to be a 4/6, but then when I started working after college, and sitting at a desk all day and eating lunch out, etc.... Anyhoo...... I had ballooned up to over 30 pounds above the TOP range for my ideal weight! And that was BEFORE I got pregnant with Sarah.

But I have also been doing the South Beach Diet, which I know a lot of people think is a trendy thing, but honestly, its just a good diet. Its high in vegetables and lean proteins, and also uses fruits, nuts, and complex/whole grain carbs to round out your diet. To me, it just make sense, but those first 2 weeks when you break your "carb" habit are HARD!

But I've lost 12 1/2 pounds since the beginning of November, and I just bought a new pair of jeans 2 sizes smaller!!

And as for TTC, well we are too, so I hear you. But honestly, the way I'm eating now is SOOOO much healthier than I have ever eaten in my life. Its actually very similar to the "Best Odds Diet" in the What to Expect When You're Expecting book.

You can do it! We're here for you!!!

NEVE and TRISTAN
01-19-2004, 11:11 PM
Edited sans clothes weighed 144 this morning...looie there already lost 4 lbs just running around naked!!!...

...I don't think I've ever craved a Baby Ruth Candy Bar in my life...wouldn't you know with my scale in hand at Wal Mart that is all I thought about :)...didn't cave!!!

Thanks ladies!!!...I really am focused to do this!!!
Neve
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

liya
01-20-2004, 01:16 AM
Ha ha ha ha!!!!

Annette_C
01-20-2004, 01:34 AM
So glad you're here, Neve!!
Yes, together, we can do it!! We're here for each other through highs and lows!
I, too, have been on the SBD (on and off...)since November. I had lost 8 lbs before the holidays but took a break to enjoy the goodies and gained 5 lbs back! It's funny how quickly you gain weight back when you go carb crazy after a low-carb diet!
Anyway, DH and I went back to phase 1 but have not been as successful as the first time around. We're glad to be on phase 2 now and, hopefully, taking it a little more seriously.
Like others have said, eating better and exercising is is great start in TTC. I strongly believe that the reason I got pregnant at 44 with no complications is because of the way I had taken care of myself.
I wish you good luck and keep us posted!
Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

khakismom
01-20-2004, 12:26 PM
Julie, I have this cookbook too! Got mine at Costco for $15. I love it!! We had some friends and their kids over for dinner 2 weekends ago and I made the chicken marsala with the oven roasted zuccini--fabulous! Everyone loved it and it was so easy. So thumbs up from me too.

cinrein
01-20-2004, 01:44 PM
Go Neve! You can do this and you will be so glad you did.

Mark and I changed our eating habits beginning of this year. I was having a good old time eating any darn thing I wanted and not gaining weight while BFing (first time in my life I could ever do that). Now Anna has cut back on nursing and I'm trying to wean her, so the party's over. Plus I have a huge family history of diabetes and developed gestational diabetes while pregnant with Anna. I felt like I was handed a glimpse into the future and I really don't want to go there. So we are also doing the South Beach diet, mainly because it's the way I have to eat to avoid diabetes.

I was an avid exerciser before Anna (weights, running, spinning, kickboxing, step, yoga, and pilates) and religiously got myself to the gym 3/4 days a week. Now with the baby, it's hard to find the time, especially since I still can't bring myself to leave her in the daycare. Plus she's been having major sleep issue lately, so I'm too darn tired to do much of anything when she's had me up 3/4 times a night! One thing at a time though. Right now I'm working on improving my diet. Once the weather is nicer, the diet changes should be more of a habit and we'll tackle getting our butts out for a walk every day!

Welcome to the new Neve!

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

cchavez
01-20-2004, 04:37 PM
Good for you Neve! I think that you will do great w/ your weight loss plan....you seem like the kind of person that can get anything done if you set your mind to it.

I am currently back on a modified Atkins diet since I am a carb addict too! I have been since around T-giving but was not really committed until right after the holidays. Overall, I am down 4.5 lbs. I would love to lose 10-15 pounds. The big thing for me is that: I just upgraded my gym membership to the one that is near our house!!! Before Diego was born I used to go to the one near my work but it is too far away now. So I hadn't been to the gym in 8.5 months! The upgraded one is much nicer and 5 minutes away from our house. The plan is for me to go two nites a week after DH gets home from work. He will put Diego to bed on those nites. I also plan to go on Sat./Sun morning and DH will be in charge of Diego.....I am actually looking forward to it as my own time!!!!

AngelaS
01-23-2004, 08:12 AM
Go NEVE Go! I saw Oprah's show too and the woman who lost more than 100lbs in just over a year was AWESOME! That's me...sigh.... I'm not sure when I got so fat, but it has happened. So...I'm bumping up my excercise program and doing a better job of counting calories!

If I can do it, ANYONE can do it!! You go girl!