PDA

View Full Version : Back question

COElizabeth
01-21-2004, 01:32 AM
I have been having back pain every day since about June. I constantly feel like my lower back is extremely tight, and it doesn't help to stretch. I have tried Pilates, massage, chiropractic, etc., and nothing helps for long. I discussed it with my doctor and mentioned that I could just be out of shape, nursing in bad positions, etc.

However, I am nursing only 3 times a day for a total of about 30 minutes or less and try not to hunch over, I always lower the crib rail, and I am below my pre-pregnancy weight and not overweight. Granted, my abs are pretty darn flabby, but does anyone else have this feeling just from their abs being out of shape? I really think there must be more to it than that. It gets worse when I walk, and I feel like I am slightly limping a lot of the time, and my right hip is sometimes hurting. Those things (combined with my history of multiple knee and foot injuries and extremely flat feet) make me think this is gait-related and that I have a shorter leg or something (one of the chiropractors and the guy who made my orthotics both suggested this). Does anyone else have experience with this? I don't think my doctor is going to take me seriously until I can tell him I have been exercising regularly, but honestly, I don't feel like it when it hurts just to go on a long walk! I know, I should swim, but if it's something wrong with my leg I'd really like to get an adjustment on my insoles or go to a physical therapist or something. But maybe I am just that pathetically out of shape? Ugh.

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

janeybwild
01-21-2004, 11:07 AM
Hey Elizabeth, sounds like you are in the wars. Sorry to hear about your back problems. I think that you are right to be concerened and to want to get this taken care of. As a physical therapist myself, I see lots of people who ignore pain and only seek treatment when it becomes overwhelming. Much easier to work with it when it is not at that level. That being said, it's hard to say what might be causing your problems. It may be related to a ongoing laxity in your joints (since you are still nursing), and the spine is particularly vulnerable. That combined with decreased trunk strength can be a painful, but frequently seen, combination. Pain in your hip can be caused from that also. Since you cannot exercise by yourself without pain, I would recommend seeking help. Ask your doctor for a referral for physical therapy. Find a PT who specializes in spinal care within an orthopdeic setting. You may only need to go a few times to learn what to do for the longer haul if my ideas are on track. Regardless, this probably would get worse if you tried to do the 'no pain no gain' thing (wrong type of pain there!). It could be that when you stop nursing your body will find its own way back, but, given how long this has gone on already, that is doubtful in my mind(lots of adaptive changes). HTH and good luck!

jamsmu
01-28-2004, 12:39 PM
I was/am having lower back pain and wrist/hand pain since having my son. Though something must have gone terribly wrong with my labor since it hurt since he was born. Finally, I went to my GP. She said she hears this all the time. Basically, as new moms, we are using our bodies differently than ever before, and doing this often. So the pain is just our bodies saying, "wow!" No advice, but what you are feeling is apparently very normal.