PDA

View Full Version : South Beach Diet "Updates"

heidis2girls
01-21-2004, 04:17 PM
I signed up for the South Beach Diet daily email when I tried the SBD before the holidays. I'm not really following the diet strictly anymore (doing a combination of SBD and WW), but I haven't yet cancelled the emails. I received this one yesterday and I thought all you SBD folks would be interested!

Heidi

South Beach Diet Updates

The South Beach Diet (SBD) continues to evolve as new nutritional studies and information come out. Recently, the results of new studies have shown that some of the "foods to avoid" may not be as bad for us as the original studies on glycemic index demonstrated. There are also some new, exciting studies about the role calcium plays in weight loss. The end result is that you can continue to enjoy all of the foods recommended for the SBD-as well as adding back in a few of your favorites! Here are the major changes:

Milk:

Old Version:
Avoid all dairy in Phase 1, except for less than 2 tablespoons fat-free ½ and ½, nonfat milk, 1 percent milk, or soy milk allowed with coffee.

New Version:
Phase 1:
Now includes low-fat milk (fat-free and 1 percent), soy milk, and yogurt (low-fat or fat-free plain or vanilla light/lite only) on the Phase 1 "foods to enjoy" list.

Phase 2:
May add light/lite fruited yogurt as a "food to enjoy" in Phase 2. Note: Since the SBD is still low in saturated fat, high-fat whole milk products will remain on the "foods to avoid" lists for all Phases.

Tomatoes:

Old Version:
Limited to one whole tomato or 10 cherry tomatoes per meal in all Phases.

New Version:
Not limited in any Phase.

Onions:

Old Version:
Limited to ½ per day in all Phases.

New Version:
Not limited in any Phase.

Carrots:

Old Version:
Avoid carrots in Phase 1 and 2; allowed in moderation in Phase 3.

New Version:
Allowed, starting in Phase 2.

emmasmama
01-22-2004, 08:41 AM
hmmm, very interesting... i also read that the orange growers association might sue agatston because there has been a substantial drop in orange juice consumption in the past year...

cinrein
01-22-2004, 01:04 PM
Heidi,

Thanks for this info! How did you sign up for daily SBD emails?

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

heidis2girls
01-22-2004, 05:13 PM
To tell you the truth, I don't remember exactly how I did it! It was on the South Beach Diet website, though. www.southbeachdiet.com Some emails are more interesting than others, but they are all short informational "blurbs", some of which are specific to SBD and some which are not. For example, today's email was about finding the freshest fish.

If I remember what I did I'll let you know!

Heidi