PDA

View Full Version : Need advice with an idea I have....

Annette_C
01-23-2004, 11:05 PM
Being on the SBD has made me more aware of the carb cravings derived from the carb deprivation. I think what I miss the most is bread...hence, my idea.
I know there are a lot of low carb breads/bagels/muffins/etc. out there but, if you've tasted any of them, you know how awful tasting they are!!
The thing that has saved DH and me, especially during the first phase, has been my egg&cheese bread. I also make it in muffin form and freeze them. They're wonderful for breakfast, lunch, snack and they're 100% natural....no chemical mambo-jumbo to make then carb free! Actually, my muffins have 0 carbs!! And they're delicious (if I do say so myself...LOL). In fact, they have the consistency of bread, are very tasty and are made with no flour!
I think that my muffins would be great for "breakfast on the go" (with a V8) for people that really don't have the time to cook omelettes or any other egg dishes recommended by the low-carb diets.
Now....for my question. Seeing how low carb diets are sweeping the nation, I think I'd like to "sell" my muffins(or bread) recipe to a big company that can market it all over the US.
But how would I do it? Where do I start? Any ideas or suggestions?
And.....do you think I'm nuts?:)
TIA,
Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

liya
01-24-2004, 01:11 AM
Hey i think youd have your first customers right here. The way the market is moving it is an awsome idea Annette. Advice is always start out slow and definately dont give away the recepie..LOL I think honest the money that will go into the idea is just the big ol problem. Maybe begin by patenting you recepie and then going from there. Just to make sure that no one steals your idea(heck everyone reads this forum)... And then research into how much it would take for you to begin a small business(maybe selling to local restaurants etc)... and go from there...

HTH

ps- nothing htat lets you be a WAHM is a stupid nutso idea :) many have begun from ideas such as yours...

JulieL
01-24-2004, 11:51 AM
Annette,
What a great idea!!! The muffins sound yummy!:D I have no clue where you would start. Why don't you post this question in the Lounge. I am sure there are several people in advertising/marketing that could help you out! Good Luck!

Annette_C
01-24-2004, 12:05 PM
Thanks girls!
Julie, posting in the lounge is a great idea! I'll do that and see what happens.
I forgot to mention that even Sabrina loves these muffins (and doesn't particularly like eggs!). For me, that's passing the ultimate test!:)

Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

cinrein
01-28-2004, 09:52 AM
I'm certainly eager to try your muffins now!

My parents own a business where they make and sell homemade pasta products---ravioli, gnocchi, tortelini, manicotti, and all kinds of egg pastas. They also make and sell the sauce, meatballs, sausage, baked ziti and lasagna. My Dad is Italian and this business is a family tradition. It's definitely an Italian store, they sell some canned and jarred Italian specialty foods, imported Italian cheeses and salamis, and special holiday goodies during the holidays. My parents are the sole owners and workers--a true Mom and Pop operation. Anyways, I'm giving you all this background to let you know that several WAHMs have approached my Dad about selling stuff in his store and he does sell some of it. There is an Italian woman who makes traditional Italian cookies and we tried them, liked them, so now my Dad sells her Biscotti, Lemon Cookies and some others. There is another woman who makes sugared almonds and he sells those too. So, I think if you found a smallish local store that sells healthy foods or diet-like foods and give them a sample of your product, they may be willing to carry it for you.

Also, many of the local bakers in my area got their start my setting up a table of baked goods at the County's farmer's markets.

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

celfsh
01-29-2004, 12:55 PM
Annette--

Drooling here--those sound way yummy! I don't really have any advice for you, but I will say that I'm a Food Network junkie--I especially like that show "Food Finds"--and it seems like a lot of the business owners featured on that show started out selling their wares locally, developed a following, and went from there. I definitely think your idea has possibilities--I say go for it!

celeste
mom to olivia 9/25/02