PDA

View Full Version : A big step!

COElizabeth
01-25-2004, 04:51 PM
Yesterday I joined a gym near our new house, and today I did 30 minutes on the elliptical trainer and a little stretching. Since I have done so little real exercise since I got pregnant two years ago, this is a big step for me. I have decided I am going to concentrate on improving my fitness so I can enjoy the activities I used to do (cross-country skiing, hiking, etc.) and, I hope, get rid of this back pain that has been bugging me since June and my current hip pain.

Thank you, Janey, for the advice on physical therapy. I am going to do what I can at the gym as long as it doesn't make my back worse, and if I don't see improvement after a few weeks I will definitely bug my doctor to get me into PT or see an orthopedist. Meanwhile, I will need support to keep me motivated to go to those Pilates classes, do the cardio work, lift weights, swim, etc.!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

JulieL
01-26-2004, 11:56 AM
All you need is that first step, then the next, then the next and before you know it for some strange reason you actually look forward to exercising! Way to Go!!! Hope the pain eases!

egoldber
01-26-2004, 03:49 PM
Good for you!!!

Out of curiosity, are you taking James or are you leaving him with DH while you go?

lukkykatt
01-26-2004, 03:59 PM
Good for you, Elizabeth! For me, getting started is always the hardest part. Once I have conquered that, it is not so hard to keep going. Let us know how you're doing!

COElizabeth
01-26-2004, 04:30 PM
Kind of a sticking point, actually. This club is sort of strange in that kids have to be members to use the daycare, but they can stay in the daycare for 2 hours for "free." When I went this weekend, there were actually quite a few kids there playing basketball with their parents, lifting weights (teen boys mostly), etc. and a few younger ones in the childcare area. And in the summer I am sure there will be many more, as there is a water slide and kids' play area at the outdoor pool. I can't see paying the family rate for James just to be in the toddler area (unless I work out a LOT!), but if DH decides to work out there, too, then we'd get the family rate and bring him with us, and I could bring him when I go while DH is at work. Since there is a corporate discount if DH joins, it would be a good deal, relatively speaking, but still, it's quite a bit more expensive than just me joining. He is going to go on one of my guest passes and see how he likes it. I'd like for him to join, since he's been kind of sluggish ever since he got back from Peru and no longer has an Andean trek to train for!

So the short answer is that for now he is staying with DH!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

celfsh
01-29-2004, 01:12 PM
Good for you, Elizabeth! I'm in the same boat with you as far as the back pain goes, and I do think that working out (especially weight training) seems to help. Keep up the good work! We're all cheering for you!

celeste
mom to olivia 9/25/02