PDA

View Full Version : Windsor /Winsor (sp?) Pilates

Jen in Chicago
01-27-2004, 10:51 AM
Anyone tried it? I got sucked into an infomercial the other day and really want to get it. DH travels and DS goes to bed early, so I need something I can do at home inside. Thanks!

new_mommy25
02-07-2004, 08:53 PM
I am planning on buying it. My best friend SWEARS by it, which is my motivation. She has a 9 month old baby and is down to 120 lbs, which is less than she weighed before. I am sooo jealous! The only thing stopping me right now is the price. So I am thinking taxes...

AngelaS
02-08-2004, 08:38 AM
I was JUST coming to ask about this! LOL

One of my good friends is doing it and really likes it. She's had it a week and can really feel it working. LOL She knows someone who lost 15lbs doing it and rEALLY toned up, that's why she bought it. :D

Another friend of mine has it and isn't using it, so I'm hoping to borrow it from her. :D

1ontheway
02-29-2004, 06:50 PM
Did any of you ladies end up buying/using these? If so,what do you think? TIA

Christina
and Leah Grace 1/19/04

signsing
03-02-2004, 02:44 AM
I actually have these sitting on top of the t.v. Havent' used them yet. You've motivated me to try tomorrow and let you know.
I have borrowed them from someone, they didn't peel the plastic wrap off them though so I don't know how they are.
I'll try them out and let you know what I think in a couple of days.

Betsey
Buddy's Mamma

AngelaS
03-02-2004, 05:13 PM
LOL, mine's still on top of the tv too! :D

signsing
03-05-2004, 02:02 PM
I just tried it! Not as difficult as I thought it was going to be. I just finished my first 20 min workout! I used the modifications but I figure that I will keep working on it until I can do this workout without the modifications. then I'll move to the accelerated workout.
Good luck
Betsey
Buddy's Mamma 6-10-2003

1ontheway
03-05-2004, 06:49 PM
Thanks for posting. so did you think it was a good workout? Worth buying?

Christina
and Leah Grace 1/19/04

signsing
03-05-2004, 08:01 PM
I did think it was a good workout. I don't know how much it costs since I'm borrowing it. But I would be inclined to buy it now that I know its good.
Betsey
Buddy's Mamma 6-10-2003

new_mommy25
03-13-2004, 05:51 PM
LOL, I bought one too but it sitting on top of my counter still in it's wrapper. I bought it at Target for 39.99. It is a set of 3 DVD's.

Lynnie
03-25-2004, 06:52 AM
how hard was in on your neck muscles ?? from what i saw the other night (infomercial and insomnia... deadly combination) it looked like you had to hold your head up off the ground for a lot. are the modifications much easier ??

and you have the 3 tape/dvd set ?? (i am searching thru e-bay since i am too cheap to pay the full price they wanted on the ad....)

thanks in advance ...

lynn

signsing
03-25-2004, 12:21 PM
The modifications don't require you to hold your head up off the ground, or have your legs out so high. They really make it much easier so you don't hurt yourself.
I do have the 3 DVD set. I've only used the first DVD so far.
Betsey
Buddy's Mamma 6-10-2003

Zansu
03-25-2004, 04:14 PM
If your neck hurts from doing Pilates, you're doing it wrong. Neck pain means you're using your neck to bring you into a "curl" rather than your abs.

The best way to avoid the neck stress is to contract your abs harder, which will make your "curl" a little tighter and put the tension into your abs, rather than your neck.

HTH!

Lynnie
03-25-2004, 04:41 PM
thanks, both of you. i think the modified version sounds perfect :-)

i have heard that your neck isn't supposed to hurt when you do sit ups and the things that i saw the people doing on the infomercial, but anytime i try it, mine does, so i must be doing it wrong. my husband feels so sorry for me having been on bedrest the last 2 months that once i finally have this baby and am able to start exercising, he said he would get me a personal trainer for a little bit, so maybe i'll ask her/him for some tips and pointers in addition to your helpful hints.

this program looks good, though, and i like the fact that i remember hearing a person on the ad say basically that you can't eat like a pig and expect it to work miracles.

Zansu
03-27-2004, 12:23 AM
Rather than a personal trainer, why not ask DH to get you some private sessions with a Pilates instructor? You will learn proper technique, which you can then use when you do the tapes.

You could also take a mat class, which will teach the same exercises as the videos, but in a group setting.

Depending on where you live, you may be able to find a Pilates instructor who is experienced in rehab work, and can customize a program for you. The biggest benefit to working with an instructor is that you learn to do it right the first time.

My instructor is certified in Pilates, Fletcher and post-rehab work, and I did Pilates into my 9th month with both pregnancies, and restarted 6 weeks after DS's birth, and have already scheduled my return after #2's arrival.

One hint for the situps: think about leading with your chest, rather than your chin. So you're trying to get our breasts to your knees, rather than your head. So you're moving like a "V", instead of like a "C".

HTH

Lynnie
03-27-2004, 08:18 PM
great idea... i pretty much already know how to lift weights and do cardio, and a trainer would really be for motivation. but a pilates instructor would be wonderful... especially if they know something about rehab, since it will be like rehab after having been on bedrest for 3 months. i live in miami beach, so there should be plenty of people. anybody know anyone down here ?? (who doesn't charge model/movie star prices ?!)

thanks again... such a great idea ! then, once i learn how to do it the right way, and build up some strenght and conditioning, i will take a group class. :-)

Zansu
03-28-2004, 12:53 PM
Here's the link for the primary Pilates site:

http://www.pilatesmethodalliance.org/index.html

It's a very poorly designed site, but at least it wil give you a starting place.

There is a lot of politics/personality involved in the various Pilates groups, so you will hear different recommendations depending on who trained with whom, what additional training or methods are taught, where the instructor certified, etc.

Here's my example: My first instructor was trained by Romana, who was the first student of Joseph and Clara Pilates. So some people consider the Romana-trained instructors to be the teachers of the "purest" form of Pilates.

My second instructor had been trained in Pilates and Fletcher, but I didn't ever talk to her long enough to find out the specifics of her training.

My current instructor was/is (she takes master classes every few months) a student of Ron Fletcher (who also trained directly with the Pilates), who has developed his own training methods, which integrate with Pilates. She has also trained extensively in post-rehabilitative work with another well-known person (whose name I don't remember).

The end result is that my instructor is able to take solutions/exercises from three major philosophies, and fine tune each and every workout to match whatever I need or want to work on at each session. I have never ever in three years of weekly sessions done the same workout twice.

However, it will be expensive. Figure $50-75 per session. But it's the ONE thing I do purely for myself, and I consider it to be mental as well as physical therapy.

If you want more info, please feel free to PM me.