PDA

View Full Version : I want to become a part of this forum..(long)

new_mommy25
02-07-2004, 08:50 PM
I've never really come here before but I really need help in motivation. I have always been a very slim person which is probably why my body gained nearly 50# during pregnancy. By my 6 week pp check up I had lost 25 of it, but the other 25#'s are hanging on and just won't go away. What is hard for me is dieting because I have never been on a diet before and have no clue where to even begin. While I do eat lots of vegetables and fruit, I am having a hard time with carbs. I love pasta, bread, and rice. Those are the basic staples of my diet. To me there is nothing better than a big lasagna with a fresh loaf of bread or roast chicken with lots of rice and again, the loaf a bread. I think that is what is killing me, but it is so hard to stop eating my favorite foods. I try to get out of the house everyday and take a walk with DS in the stroller or swing. I could accomplish more if I could walk or jog sans DS, but my DH usually works until 7 or 8 at night and by then it is too dark and cold. I am making a conscious effort to do crunches and free weights during DS's naps but really I am forcing myself. I bought a yoga video but have yet to even take it out of the packaging. I am starting to really feel down on myself because although I loved being pregnant and now I love being a mom, I'm sick and tired of all the extra weight. I love to shop and I have a whole walk in closet full of clothes that I'll probably never be able to wear again. I need to go through it and chuck stuff that is out of the question but at the same time I can't bear to get rid of any of it. I consigned all my maternity clothes because I found myself still wearing them even when DS was almost 5 months old.

Okay I realize now that I am starting to ramble and I apologize. I got off topic but the main point of this post was to introduce myself and tell you all that I am going to start hanging around here, reading and posting.

Thanks!

houseof3boys
02-07-2004, 10:18 PM
Angie I am merely a lurker in the mommy fit section, but just wanted to throw in my opinion on your post.

I gained almost 50 pounds with Ryan too and I think you are doing great for 5 months after birth. I am now back down to my pre preg weight at 8 months but the last 15 pounds were the toughest. I don't diet at all, but I did cut out so many of the carbs that I am so addicted to! I owned the mantra that it took 9 months to put it on and I would have 9 months to take it off. If I wasn't there, I would have to step it up to achieve that. I am very goal oriented so for me this was motivation. If you say it, it must come true kind of thing.

I just put away my post pregnancy clothes (last week) that I bought 2 sizes up from my pre preg stuff and I can fit into about half of the stuff that I used to wear pp. I may weigh the same according to the scale, but the flabby factor is my problem and that everything seems to have dropped 2" (the butt and the hips....grrrr). I commend you on making an effort to do some form of exercise when Noah is sleeping. You will get there and you will be able to wear your clothes again I promise! I took out all of the clothes from my closet that looked as if there was no way I would fit into any time soon. Now, I only have clothes that fit or are a smidge tight so I don't depress myself about the "skinny" stuff hanging there.

You'll get there!!! :)

JulieL
02-08-2004, 11:32 AM
Welcome Angie!

Ah, it's as if I was reading my own thoughts after DS was born. When DS was 4 months old that is when I started working out. After being dilligent for 4 months I was back to pp weight. I can proudly say that DS will be two next month and I am fitter, leaner and have way more muscle definition than I have ever had in my life. I have kept up working out ever since I decided that I had to get rid of my baby fat. I never dieted but cut down on portions and made healthier food choices. I really look forward to getting to know you. The gals here are great and I am sure you will find the advice given by them to be really great and ecouragement vital! Here's to you look'n like the hot mama you are come this summer!

COElizabeth
02-08-2004, 08:57 PM
I agree that you shouldn't be so hard on yourself and that it's too early to get rid of all your old clothes. I was relatively slim before getting pregnant and gained 49 pounds, too, and it took about 9 months to lose it all. I got rid of one pair of pants that didn't seem to fit right anymore, but I can wear just about everything else I had before. They might fit a little differently, but generally okay. But I too was wearing maternity clothes for months after giving birth. I did feel better when I packed them away and bought a few in-between things, though.

As far as your diet, can you switch some of those carbs to whole grains? It's a lot harder to eat a whole loaf of whole wheat bread than white, and whole grains are a lot better for you - more fiber, more filling, better nutrition. If it's too hard to switch completely, at least eat them some of the time, or check out whole wheat blend foods like Healthy Harvest pasta. I still eat too much white flour, but I am trying to be better about buying whole grains, and I definitely feel better when I eat them! And don't forget the water! Treating yourself to a nice cup of tea or something like that can really help, too, when you have put the baby to bed and feel you have earned a treat (I know I feel that way a lot! :) ).

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02