PDA

View Full Version : Treats that won't kill the diet

jubilee
02-10-2004, 04:06 AM
I am once again in the "I have to finally lose this weight" mode, but my downfall are treats. I love cookies, cake, chocolate, etc. Can you help me think of treats that won't be too damaging?

cinrein
02-10-2004, 10:56 AM
Well, this is not low carb, but still a favorite. Take 1 chocolate graham cracker, they sell low-fat versions. Depending on your mood, spread with 1 Tablespoon peanut butter or 1 Tablespoon fat free Cool Whip. If you're really hurting, stick a few mini chocolate chips in the peanut butter one. I used to go for the PB variety cuz it combined my 2 faves of peanut butter and chocolate, plus gave me a little protein.

If you're doing low carb, my fastest easiest snack is a few almonds (or your favorite nut) eaten verrrry slowwwwwly with a cup of decaf coffee (fat free half and half and Splenda if you need sugar).

If you have strong willpower, buy one of those bags of the small Ghiradelli chocolate squares. When you need a treat, 1 square is not too damaging, provided you can limit yourself to 1. I suggest hiding the bag so you only think about it when you absolutely need it.

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

peanut4us
02-10-2004, 11:10 AM
Not low carb, but it's only 3 WW points a serving

1 angel food cake mix
1 can crushed pineapple

Mix together cake mix and pineapple... Pam spray 2 bread loaf pans and divide mix into each pan. Bake on 350 for 15-20 minutes. Super yum! Serve with fat free cool whip... for variety add cocoa to batter or cool whip, extra yum.

Take 2 low fat chocolate graham crackers and put ff cool whip between (like a sandwich) wrap in individual plastic wrap and freeze. I believe that those are just 1 WW point each.

Fat free jello

Fat free pudding (great way to get some dairy in; try the devil's food flavor! Yum!)

When it gets a little warmer out... Dole fruit popscicles... they have real fruit in them... and they have some sugra free ones that are super num... I really like the Lime ones.

That's all I can think of right now.

egoldber
02-10-2004, 01:51 PM
Our fav "desserts" are:

sugar free, fat free pudding
sugar free, fat free jello
1 fudgsicle

The South Beach Diet has several ricotta based desserts. You mix together a 1/2 cup of lowfat ricotta, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla and 1 package of artificial sweetener. You can eat it like that or add other stuff too like liked a couple sliced strawberries, blueberries, some zest of lemon or lime, etc.

For those snacky times during the day, I now eat a cheese stick or a few nuts.

HTH,

stillplayswithbarbies
02-10-2004, 03:18 PM
The way I deal with treats is to have a goal in mind and work towards it. For example, my new goal is Easter candy. I plan to eat all the Easter candy I want for two days. Knowing that I have that coming up makes it easier for me to pass up the sweets on a day to day basis.

I have found that going totally bonkers for one day or two does not affect my ongoing weightloss, as long as I get back to it the next day.

For days that I just have to have something sweet, I will have one hershey kiss, it's just 3 carbs. Or some other chocolate or a lifesaver.

On Atkins, my favorite treat is a strawberry milkshake made from 6 frozen strawberries and 2/3 cup of heavy cream, blended in the blender until smooth. (not all low carb diets allow the fat in the heavy cream, and watch your total calories too)

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

Jeanne
02-11-2004, 05:20 PM
I'll preface this by saying that I count fat grams and calories only so some of this may not work for you if you are watching carb and or sugar levels. These are what I call my "low guilt desperate evening treats":

Frozen cherries
Fat Free vanilla ice cream with powdered Quick on it
Ready Whip lowfat chocolate whipped cream right from the can
Fat Free Cool Whip mixed with chocolate or strawberry syrup
Fat Free caramel apple dip (T. Marzetti's) with a Gala apple
coffee with fat free hazelnut creamer
Fat Free chocolate pudding
Frozen stick of GoGurt yogurt
Frozen Pears with fat free chocolate syrup

lmariana
02-11-2004, 07:32 PM
I am with you sister! My biggest downfall is my poorly controlled sweet tooth paired with my love for baking. Bad combination!

I found this recipe on Food Network for some not-too-bad for you Chocolate Chip Cookies. There is very little sugar (that I substitute with Splenda) and NO flour! They are kind of like meringues. Give it a try, they rock!

4 egg whites, room temperature
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup sugar
12 ounces mini chocolate chips
1 cup pecans, finely chopped

Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.

In a mixer on medium-low speed, beat the egg whites until frothy, about 2 minutes. Increase the mixer speed to high, add salt and whip to stiff, but not dry peaks. Reduce the speed to medium. Add the vanilla and then the sugar, a few tablespoons at a time. Whip to glossy peaks, about 2 minutes. Gently fold in the chocolate chips and the pecans. Drop by the tablespoon onto cookie sheets lined with parchment. Bake 45 minutes. Turn oven off and leave in oven overnight without opening the oven door.

Tip: To reduce calories further, you can scale back on the sugar, chocolate chips, and pecans. I recommend making them the first time with the full amount of sugar to get a feel for how much you want to cut back.

ENJOY!!!

BTW- anytime I want to cook something, I first look it up on Food Network, and then filter the results by chef Kathleen Daelemans, she's the "light" chef. Tons of great things!!!

Mariana
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

jubilee
02-13-2004, 02:35 AM
Great ideas everyone!! I am looking forward to trying some! I told DH to not get me candy this year for valentines. I want to be a good girl!!

NancyJ_redo
02-13-2004, 03:47 AM
Chocolate Fudge Clif Bars, or Mocha Clif Bars, or Chocolate Brownie Clif Bars. All very chocolate-y and good! As someone else said, I only count fat grams, and the Clif Bars are around 5 grams of fat or a little less. Also, fat free Fudgsicle bars (frozen).

lukkykatt
02-13-2004, 01:31 PM
Chocolate Teddy Grahams
Tootsie rolls
Apple quarters with a little natural peanut butter
Fat free vanilla yogurt with a little granola and mini choc. chips

suribear
02-28-2004, 10:00 PM
These taste good, and you can make them in single serving portions :)

www.nopudge.com

Kris