PDA

View Full Version : Working moms--how do you do it?

JenCA
02-25-2004, 02:31 AM
I'm wondering how the working moms who work out find the time to go to the gym. I work full time and have not been able to find the time to return to the gym. After work and on the weekends, I am so tired, and all I to do is spend time with DD. Honestly--the last thing I want to do is go to the gym. I am not looking to lose weight (I am back down to my pre-pregnancy weight and fit into my pre-pregnancy clothing), but I'd really like to firm things up, and I know I'd feel better (mentally/physically) if I started working out again. I just don't know how to fit it into my already hectic schedule! TIA for any suggestions/input.

smiley76
02-25-2004, 02:53 AM
I know exactly what you mean! It is soo hard to do. I used to exercise 4-5 times a week either jogging or at the gym before I got pg. But now, with a full time job and a toddler, there is no way I can find the time to go. I value my time with DS too much to share it with the gym. The only time I have is after he goes to sleep, and there are no gym classes that late. What I have been trying to do is get a bunch of exercise videos (The Firm and some dance ones) and do them at home in the evening. Then during the weekend I try to go jogging with DS in the jogging stroller, or we all go for a hike. This is the plan.. but I don't stick with it as much as I would like too :(

Good luck!

josephmama
02-25-2004, 12:01 PM
I'm a very recent visitor to this forum. Thanks for posting this, I'm hoping someone has some wisdom! My life fits yours to a tee. I even have exercise videos but after our evening routine I don't have the energy and DH doesn't get home till at least 6:30. The best I can hope for is warm weather on the weekends so we can go for a brisk walk since it has hurt my feet and legs to run since DS was born. But at least my triceps are really buff from all the lifting and carrying! :) I'm hoping once spring comes we can do an early evening walk during the week once in a while.

peanut4us
02-25-2004, 12:11 PM
I don't know Jen. Be greatful that you don't WANT to lose weight and just tone... it sucks needing to lose weight and be in this same situation.

Since January, I've changed my work schedule so that I am in the office by 7 and I can leave no later than 4. Mostly I did this so I could spend time with Sara, who turns into a pumpkin around 6:30 every night. But I also thought that I oculd use time after she goes to bed to workout.

The first 2 weeks, I did really well. I worked out to videos usually between 7 and 8 at night. But then Sara got sick and it all went down hill from there.

I think my biggest problem is that I am so friggin exhausted by the time I put Sara down that I can't imagine trying to summon the energy to exercise for an hour. So I think I am going to break out a couple of 30 minute videos and do those this week... because I can do anything for 30 minutes :) I'm also seriously considering going to a water aerobics class from 8-9 on tuesdays and thursdays at our local rec center. It's shallow, which I don't like as much as deep water, but it rocks the world for both toning and cardio. You might want to look into that. Maybe it would seem less difficult to "go to the gym" if you felt like you only had to do it once or twice a week... and then the rest of the week you could just lift weights while you watch Friends???

NancyJ_redo
02-25-2004, 02:17 PM
Hmm...I have the exact problem. Not looking to lose weight, but mentally/emotionally, etc. I'm a much better person when I get to workout. Pre-baby I worked out about 4 times a week, now I can never get to the gym. My preference is spin classes, and although my gym has great childcare and DS is now old enough to go (over 6 mos), the spin classes hit right around the time I'm trying to get him settled down to go to sleep. So now I only get to the gym once a week (Sat mornings) at most, but I do try and run outside a couple times a week - either with or without DS. Running lets me get a great workout done in about 30 mins...maybe a little more if I have time. But, I'd love to get into the gym more if possible, just don't know how to manage it and still have quality time with DS, and maintain a full time job, marriage, friendships, home, etc!

khakismom
02-25-2004, 02:58 PM
Here's what I do, but I warn you, you're not going to like it! :) I go to the gym at 5 AM. I get up at 4:45 and hit the gym first thing it opens. I am home by 6:30 and jump in the shower and am dressed and ready for the day around 7/7:15. That is right about the time Ellen wakes up, and then we wake Kathleen up.

It is really hard but it is habit now. And believe me, if I don't go firt thing in the morning, I don't go. And I'm doing this to tone AND lose weight. I am below my pre-PG weight, but still need to lose about 25 more pounds. It's going to take me a while... :)

JulieL
02-25-2004, 03:54 PM
I work from home and work during DS's naps. So the only time I can workout is when he is in bed. So I end up working out around 9:00 p.m. This of course doesn't sound apealing at all! But it works ok for me. Lots of workout centers now offer classes than incorporate your baby in them. Such as doing lunges with your baby/tot held in front of you. Arm presses with baby reaching up in the air. Look around locally and maybe there will be one on the weekends. That way you get to with with your little one and workout.

McQ
02-25-2004, 03:59 PM
I hear ya! I am so freaking tired the last thing I feel like doing is working out. I just recently started getting back on the treadmill. I do it every other night for 20 minutes. On the nights I'm working out I let DH give Declan a bottle and put him down for the night. Gives them time to bond and pretty much by the time we're both done, DH & I are ready to spend some time together. I'm also asking DH to do more around the house because I was tired of him sitting on the couch while I was running around trying to do things before I could work out.

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03

nyc mom
02-25-2004, 04:54 PM
I have only aspirational advice to offer, but one thing I plan on doing regularly is taking DD with me to the gym and wearing her in a carrier while I do cardio machines. I also have a baby & me yoga DVD that I plan to use a couple of times a week and then on the weekend I will work out with my trainer at the gym -- and DH will HAVE to take care of DD for that.

(I'm sure all you real moms are thinking, "yeah, right." But that's my current plan 'cause I will have a lot of weight to lose and I know that not working out makes me cranky and even more tired.)

stillplayswithbarbies
02-25-2004, 05:34 PM
I go to Curves For Women, it's a 30 minute workout and it's only 5 minutes from my house. I get home at 6:15, get changed, get a snack, and nurse the baby, and get there by 7:00 or 7:15. DH cooks dinner and we eat when I get home.

The good think about Curves is that it works two sets of muscles at once since it is hydraulic resistance, so a 30 minute workout there is like an hour and a half at a regular gym. (for example, you are working your triceps and biceps at the same time)

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

JMarie
02-25-2004, 09:18 PM
Up until recently it was easy to go to the gym. Our gym not only has free childcare for two hours at a stretch, we can also go to any of the other locations for no extra charge (LifeTime Fitness, if anyone is interested - we LOVE it!). I used to work 7A-3P, DH would bring Aidan to work (we worked for the same company on different schedules) and I would head to the gym right after work.

Now that he's a SAHD, I work until 5:30 four nights a week and just hit the gym right afterwards. It's hard not seeing Aidan all day, so I tend to just get my cardio in at the gym and do weights/Yoga/Pilates at home after putting Aidan to bed. I'm going to start taking kickboxing two mornings a week before work and see if I like that. It is HARD HARD HARD! However, if I don't workout I tend to get sick from the stress, so I have real motivation to get there. At least the little guy is home with one of his parents...

Jennifer
Mom to Aidan Christopher
01/28/03

khakismom
02-26-2004, 01:18 PM
Jenn, we used to belong to LifeTime when we lived in Indy, and LOVED it! You're right--it is awesome. That's where I took Kathleen for swim lessons when she was 9 mos. There aren't any in KC :(, so I had to shop around and find a new gym. Luckily, there is one almost in my backyard--it's in the strip mall right behind my subdivision. :)

JenCA
02-27-2004, 04:01 AM
Oh my goodness...you are right, I don't like it one bit, lol! What time do you go to bed? Hats off to you for having such great dedication.

I am glad to see that others are having similar issues. Right now, I am just waiting for spring and warmer weather--my thought being that I'll invest in a jogger and take DD out for a jog when I get home from work. I also like the idea of looking for exercise classes that involve my child. I know I'd be much more willing to work out if I could somehow include DD.

JenCA
03-01-2004, 05:53 PM
I just wanted to update...

The other night, we went to dinner with our nieghbors, who have 2 children (2 boys under 2!). They told us they recently joined a family gym that has a full-service child care facility located within the gym. The caretakers diaper, feed, and play with the children. We looked into it, and discovered that it's only going to cost us about $10-$20 more than what we currently pay for our child UN-friendly, sadly unused gym membership. I have my doubts about letting someone else watch my DD while I work out--but my neighbor, who is a loving, wonderful mommy, assured me that she feels very comfortable leaving her children there while she exercises. Plus, this gym offers all kinds of classes--including some that involve children! So, I called and canceled our current gym membership today, and we're going go check out the family gym this weekend. If we like the childcare center--the number one factor which will make or break the deal--we're going to join. DH and I are already making plans to work out together again, while DD plays in the childcare center. I am really happy we've found this solution, and I'm looking forward to getting back into shape! :)

Lynnie
03-15-2004, 05:03 PM
unfortunately, i agree with the early morning workout advice. although i could usually get up for a jog or rollerblade around the block with the stroller after work(i know its frowned upon to blade with a stroller but we live in a flat gated area with very little traffic and i have a stroller that is like a tank and am very careful), the only time i had to really hit the gym, other than an occasionaly saturday, was at 5-5:15am. and i am NOT a morning person. but, since it was the only time, i managed to do it for a while, and once i have my second, that's when i am going to try to go again.

also, is there a gym near your work ? a bunch of people in my office work out during lunchtime, and although i hate feeling rushed, it was a good way to get in a work out which included a warm up and cool down walk there and back.

billysmommy
03-15-2004, 07:53 PM
It's great that you all are so motivated to work out. I work in a gym and I just wanted to let you know that most gyms don't allow you to wear your child in a carrier while using any machines, even just a treadmill. It is too much of a liability if anything were to happen.
We've had alot of moms try it and when I was pregnant I thought it was the best idea. But the more I think of it, it's really scary how many things could happen.