PDA

View Full Version : What workout did you do while pregnant?

AngelaS
03-02-2004, 05:16 PM
Hey all! :D I'm officially 7 weeks and have been either doing 25 to 45 minutes on the Nordic Track each day or Power 90 tapes (levels 1-2). I think either of these will work thru much of my pregancy, but what did everyone else do? Also, once it gets nice, I'll be able to do my 2 or 2.5 mile walks too. :D (until my belly gets so big that it swings from side to side when I walk.....LOL)

khakismom
03-02-2004, 06:07 PM
I'm super impressed at all the stuff you're doing Angela! The only thing I did was walk, but I think it's great for PG women. I'm curious to hear more answers though because we will be TTC in a few months. :)

lukkykatt
03-02-2004, 10:04 PM
With both my pregnancies I walked, and with the first one I also took a pre-natal exercise class. It was really great because everyone there was in the same boat. Also, my instructor had us do ab exercises on an exercise ball (so we were not flat on our backs)and I swear it made such a difference when I delivered. If you can do it, I highly recommend taking a class like that.

And you mentioned your belly swinging in the future...I signed my older son up for a gymnastics class when I was pg, not at all thinking that I would have to do anything. Wrong! You should have seen me on the trampoline at 7 months pg - I used to hit him on the head with my belly.

McQ
03-03-2004, 03:47 PM
You sound like you're doing great. I walked on the treadmill (or outside in nice weather) every day/every other day and did a pre-natal yoga class once a week. I felt awesome throughout my whole pregnancy.

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03

NancyJ_redo
03-04-2004, 02:12 AM
Congrats on the pregnancy Angela! I did spin class until about 2 weeks before I delivered. I didn't do too much in the first trimester because I was being really careful, but for the 2d and 3rd trimesters I did spin about 3-4 times a week. I just wore a heart monitor and made sure I didn't get my heart rate up too high (nothing over 140-150, if I remember correctly). I also rode my bike down at the beach until my 9th month, but those were pretty leisurely rides (until I'd have to ride the hill back up to my house...argh). My doctor thought I had an easy pregnancy and delivery because I worked out the whole time. I don't know if there's any truth to that, but mentally/emotionally it definitely made me feel good.

Good luck!

stillplayswithbarbies
03-08-2004, 01:16 PM
I worked out at Curves for Women right up until the day before I delivered. I am certain that is why I had such an easy delivery. It's a 30 minute workout using resistance machines.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

nyc mom
03-08-2004, 02:32 PM
Keep up the good work! I kind of took the first two months "off" from exercising, but then got really freaked out that I wouldn't make it through labor. I am now in my 39th week (sitting here counting contractions as I type) and what I have done for almost the whole pregnancy was work out with a trainer once a week for an hour doing strength training, did 20-20 minutes of strength training (free weights, stuff on th exercise ball) 2x week, prenatal yoga 2-3x week and walked for about 25 minutes 5x week (my walk to work). I know I am much stronger than when I started and feel like my legs and abs are as up to the task as they can be. Now I'm just waiting to see how it works out (or whether I'll need a C-section and never know).

I primarily used 3 yoga tapes and alternated between them: Fit Mama, Prenatal yoga with Shiva Rae and Rocki's Prenatal Yoga, all of which I like for different reasons.

squimp
04-11-2004, 10:31 PM
I worked out almost every day until month 5 (running, kickboxing, step aerobics), then did just step aerobics until the last 2 weeks. In those last 2 weeks, I just took long walks.

Yoga and exercise were key for me in staying healthy and happy during pregnancy. All those lower back problems were made easier with yoga (OK and weekly massages in the last month). It was fun to go to a local yoga class and meet other future mamas. I also did Crunch Yoga Mama and Shiva Rea at home. Yoga helped me have a short labor with no drugs, I am convinced.

Keep up with some kind of exercise, it will help you so much. Good luck and congratulations!

Jana, mom to Sophia 10/14/03