PDA

View Full Version : Should weight from 1st preg be gone before trying for more babies?

apfb
03-18-2004, 03:05 PM
To all the experienced mommies with 2 or more kids-- did you lose all of the weight from the previous pregnancy before trying for another one? I've lost most of the weight from exercising and BF, but I've got a new flap in the belly below my belly button which was NEVER there before. I can never wear a bikini again due to the new flap.

How much does one shape up and lose weight before going for a subsequent pregnancy?

OR did you lose the weight and work out like a fiend after the youngest child's delivery?

I'm thinking that after however many kids we have, I'm going for major weight loss, working out, followed by a little nip/tuck to clean up.

1st time mom to Maya the Mighty b. 3/2003

mamahill
03-18-2004, 06:54 PM
I think it depends on the person. For me, I wasn't planning on having my kids close together, so I knew I wanted to get back into shape before having more kids. Also, I had severe sciatic nerve issues when pregnant that seemed to be alleviated through yoga. I also firmly believe that I'd have a healthier second pregnancy if I was in better shape. I was in pretty good shape the first time around, but this time I will be chasing a toddler as well! Being in good shape will not only help me keep up with her, but give me the energy/desire to do so.

Also, that extra stomach skin is going to be there unless you really work it out. Strengthening those muscles will hold the stomach in. Maybe not enough for a bikini, but so that it doesn't feel like extra baggage.

Finally, for me, my emotional well-being is very contingent upon how I feel about myself. That means that I don't stock "in-between" clothes. I have maternity clothes, and non-maternity clothes. If I'm fitting my non-maternity clothes, then I feel good/happy/energetic. The quote from Legally Blonde sticks out, "Exercising gives you endorphis. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people don't just go around killing their husbands." LOL!

Oh, and I did lose all the weight, but I didn't work out like a fiend. It's easier to lose a little weight now, and maintain that, then losing a ton of weight later, especially when age slows your metabolism. Just my thoughts!

JMarie
03-18-2004, 08:07 PM
You go, Elle Woods! Hee hee - LOVE LOVE LOVE Reese Witherspoon!

Jennifer
Mom to Aidan Christopher
01/28/03

Lynnie
03-22-2004, 03:24 PM
I never lost the last 8 or so pounds after my first baby (wanted to lose even more, but obviously that never happened) until i got pregnant with my second when the first was 16 months old. then, i had such terrible morning sickness that i ended up losing those pesky 8 pounds. however, it is not a weight loss plan that i would recommend to anyone!!

i am going to try to work out like a fiend after this delivery and get back to my pre-wedding, pre-first-pregnancy shape. i like the idea of throwing out all my in between clothes, but don't know if i'll ever make it to pre-wedding, so could end up in maternity clothes the rest of my life.

about the flap - i don't know if they go away. after my first, the extra weight was more evenly distributed. not necessarily a good thing! my sister on the other hand weighed so much less than i did after her two kids, but has a huge flap, and i don't know if it could really ever completely disappear absent a little surgical help. but i think a little pooch can be cute - a proud badge of motherhood. now, my saddlebags and giant butt on the other hand, are an entirely different matter...

good luck !

apfb
03-23-2004, 02:55 AM
Thank you for the thoughtful replies.

I like the idea of the flap as a badge of honor. However, this badge precludes bikini wearing...

1st time mom to Maya the Mighty b. 3/2003