PDA

View Full Version : Those last 10-20 pounds

DeeEast
03-18-2004, 11:08 PM
I lost all of my pregnancy weight within about 6 weeks after DD was born except these last 10-20 pounds. I read in the Girlfriend's Guide book that this is a common phenomenon with breastfeeding women but it is very discouraging when I see the other mommy's at mommy and me looking skinny again and I feel like a fat pig. To make matters worse, for various reasons we're going to try to conceive again this fall as soon as DD turns one year so I won't have time to lose the weight after I wean her before I try getting pregnant again. Somebody tell me that its possible to lose this weight. I've had people tell me to just forget it, the weight will always be there. Then I hear the opposite from not so well meaning other mommy's who happily tell me that all of their pregnancy weight just melted off because they breastfed. Ugh. Light at the end of the tunnel anyone?

Jeanne
03-19-2004, 12:21 AM
I gained as much weight while BF as I did when pregnant! I got really heavy because I followed the 2,733 calorie per day plan and then some! There is no way to loose weight if you are eating that number as recommended for BF. Once I weaned my first at six months, I did manage to get off 25 pounds but was still 15 over. I only made half-hearted attempts to get the rest off simply because I knew it was going to be hard and I would be really upset to the see the weight come back with the second pregnancy. It didn't however, simply because I was really active with my house renovation.

It is possible to get it off but you may notice a change in your body. My waistline will never be the same but that's okay. And I resorted to desperate measures this time to get it off. I finally caved and tried Atkins. I won't stay on it for longer than four months because it's simply not healthy. It does work though especially if you want to drop 10 pounds really quickly. I've managed to loose 18 so far (five weeks) and have 12 more to go. Then I'll go back to maintaining on a low cal/low fat regimen.

JulieL
03-22-2004, 12:32 PM
I have to politely disagree with Jeane. You DEFINATLEY CAN LOSE WEIGHT AND BF!!!!!!!!!!!!! End of story. I did it myself. I did running, aerobic tapes and the Firm videos. I got smart and fixed better foods. I knew while BFing I would eat a ton, and I did due to cravings, but I was smarter about my choices. I recommend the cook book The New Dieters Cookbook by Better Homes & Gardens. Here is a link to it:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0696217112/qid=1079970879/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-3568031-4323857?v=glance&s=books

This is NOT a diet such as SBD or Atkins. Actually it's not a diet at all. It's all the recipes we all love, but cooked with less fat. There are pastas, breads, roasts and more. I LOVE this cookbook and everything I have made has been great! Another sugestion is get a subscription to Cooking Light Magazine. I just did becuase over the couple years I have picked one up here and there and love the recipes they have. You can't get bored with them and they are HEALTHY!!!

When I was bfing I made a workout journal that I wrote in every day that I worked out and what I did. After every 4 weeks I took my measurements (hips, upper thighs, waist) and definatley by 8 weeks (which would be June if you started now) I went down 2 dress sizes. Ok I am not promising you that my rate of weight loss will be the rate you will lose. You could lose more than me. But you can lose weight. They key is weight training. There are loads of videos you could chose from. Check out this website for all kinds of tapes at all diferrent workout levels:

www.collage-video.com.

Keep you chin up and know you CAN do this!!! If you have any other questions ask away. I personally know it CAN be done!!!

JulieL
03-22-2004, 12:38 PM
By the way when you workout and BF they recommend you eat 100 calories after the workout. This does not keep you from losing weight if you are comsuming the proper amount of calories. If you overeat like I did don't worry about it. I probably ate 300 or more calories a day than what they say to eat. The BFing woman should eat 500 extra calories than a non BFing woman. But as for me I am sure your over hungry tummy helps you with that! GOOD LUCK!

redgus
03-24-2004, 08:08 PM
thanks for the encouragement and suggestions on how to lose weight while BFing! i lurk here pretty regularly but i rarely post. which of the firm videos did you find most helpful? as it happens, just yesterday i got the collage video catalog in the mail. i guess i better stop feeling sorry for myself and get to work on losing weight.
diana, mom to abby and emma

sarahfran
04-09-2004, 12:29 AM
I read half of your post and then jumped down to see when your DD was born because I'm so with you... and sure enough, our little ones were born 12 days apart. So, I hear you sister!

What's weird with me is that I've lost the pounds, but my belly is still HUGE. Like I feel like I did when pg and I first started to show... that I want to camoflauge the monstrosity. My poor BFing boobs have dropped at least an inch--they used to be nice and perky, now they droop down to my elbows. And the stretch marks!

Here's a nice story for you... when I went to the OB for my 7 mo post partum checkup, I showed him my belly, and meaning my stretch marks said "look at this, is there anything I can do?" He replied "well, when you lose the rest of the weight (he motioned up and down my bod), then you can work some focused ab exercises."

Yah... so the belly is clearly an issue for me, and I too have been wondering whether it will magically disappear when I stop BFing.

I obviously don't have advice for you, but can tell you that my plan is to get outside a lot and walk / swim during the warmer weather. Hopefully both of us will lose it soon!

-Sarah
Mom to Dylan, 8/18/03

:) Motherhood is such a joy! :)

JulieL
04-12-2004, 10:45 AM
Sorry for not responding earlier, didn't see your responce. I used system 1 and a year latter got system 2. Don't I repeat don't system 3 with the slanted box. I have heard on other fitness web sites that it often collapes on people while working out!!! But honestly any weight lifting video will be a big help to you.