PDA

View Full Version : How much water should I drink?

redhookmom
04-17-2004, 09:04 PM
I know EXACTLY how much water my kids should drink... I have no idea for me. I just gave up Diet Coke and need a new habit. How much water intake for me?

TIA

p.s. Any tricks/hints to keep drinking all day?

houseof3boys
04-17-2004, 09:51 PM
Well there is controversy on the "right" amount to drink since 8 glasses of water used to be the norm and some studies say that too much is not a good thing. I am insane and drink about 20-24 glasses of water a day. The key is to ALWAYS have a bottle with you and you will drink it out of habit soon enough. If I'm cold and at home, I drink hot water with lemon too.

I buy cases of bottled 24 oz water at Sam's and then usually have 2 of them full at one time. If I'm home, I'll refill the same bottles throughout the day and then toss them at the end of the day.

When I was on bedrest, water supposedly stops contractions since you are always hydrated (dehydration can cause contractions) and this began my "habit" of so much water!

redhookmom
04-17-2004, 10:11 PM
Oh my, that is quite a bit of water!

houseof3boys
04-17-2004, 10:33 PM
I know, it's crazy. But, if you think of a glass as 8 oz and I refill the 24 oz bottles (3 glasses) 7-8 times a day it's not that bad. I drink most of it in the afternoon and evening when I am running around doing errands or hanging out at home.

I just ran to Whole Foods and grabbed a bottle on the way out and just in the car for 5 minutes each way it was gone. :)

It also keeps me from eating so much!

redhookmom
04-17-2004, 11:14 PM
You are my inspiration. I shall drink lots of water tomorrow and hopefully spend some time outside of the bathroom!

jubilee
04-18-2004, 03:16 AM
To find out how much water to drink:

Take your weight, and divide by 2. This is how many ounces you are supposed to be drinking while losing weight.

If 160 pounds, divided by 2= 80 ounces. 80 ounces is 10 cups. CUPS, not glasses (since those are typically 12 ounces).