PDA

View Full Version : Anyone not eat dairy?

llcoddington
04-17-2004, 09:27 PM
DH and I are thinking of cutting out all dairy. DH has asthma and other allergies and seems to do better when he doesn't eat dairy. Since having Lauren, my skin has been breaking out and I have had headaches (maybe because of lack of sleep!?). We are willing to cut out dairy and see if it helps.

Problem is that we both love cheese and sour cream and ice cream and yogurt and cereal with milk! Any suggestions for substitutes that are really good? We have both Whole Foods and Trader Joes nearby.

Lana
mommy to Lauren 12/5/03

redhookmom
04-17-2004, 09:39 PM
I enjoy soy milk in my cereal. If yu expecting the taste of cow milk I think you would be dissappointed. But if you look at it a something different you may like it. There are lots of different flavors and brands of soy milk. I like Eden Soy Original, it kind of nutty tasting.

There are soy yogurts and frozen desserts. I havn't tried them.

JulieL
04-18-2004, 07:13 PM
There are soy "dairy" products out there you could play with and see which you like. Although for me soy makes my mouth itchy, go figure. But beware that they cost more. I don't know much about soy products but if you are cutting out dairy make sure your family get's plenty of calcium other ways.

veekasaurus
05-07-2004, 12:19 AM
I cut out dairy before I got pregnant. I decided to cut it out after reading one of Marilu Henner's books (actress from Taxi who has numerous health books out now). She subscribes to the school of thought that we don't need to drink cow's milk and if you cut it out you will declog your system (not her words, but you get the idea hopefully!).

I drink calcium fortified soy, cheese made from rice/almonds/or soy and I gave up ice cream, which I was eating too much of anyway. And, I don't miss any of it, really. The soy ice cream is good, but sugary. I don't think it's a problem to get your calcium if you drink a few cups of soy a day and buy calcium fortified OJ and take a supplement.

With that said though, I am feeding my 8 month old baby whole milk yogurt now. I don't think soy yogurt has what he needs. I'll probably have him drink a mix of milk and soy milk when he gets older. I'll have to see what the pediatrician recommends.

But for me, it's been good and after making the switch, I did feel clearer and had a very healthy baby, so it must have been good for him to while he was in the womb :)