PDA

View Full Version : Any good Thai and tofu recipes out there?

SASM
04-28-2004, 09:59 AM
Hi! I have been craving Thai food lately but haven't been able to find easy, low-fat recipes. Anyone have any good flavorful ones?

Also, I have been wanting to make a tofu dish but haven't found one that sounds particularly yummy. I THINK that I am going to have a tough time getting DH to try tofu and really need a good recipe. I am thinking of something spicy and crunchy (if that exists). Help!!! :)

Oh...does anyone have any good tofu recipes for toddlers? I have been thinking of just buying a block of tofu and slicing it up for Ian but I am not sure if that will do it for him.

TIA! :)

lukkykatt
05-01-2004, 02:52 PM
Here is a good fake Thai dish. It is good, fast, easy and the boys like it (what else can you ask for?)

Spicy Peanut-Lime Noodles

8 oz somen noodles, uncooked (I use linguine)
1/4 cup water
3 TB soy sauce
2 1/2 TB creamy peanut butter (choose one without added sugar or oil)
2 TB Lime Juice
2 TB Ketchup
2 ts brown sugar
1/2 ts garlic powder
1/2 ts ground ginger
2 cups finely sliced Chinese (napa) cabbage
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onion

Cook noodles according to directions.

While noodles are cooking, combine all other ingredients (except cabbage and green onion) in a small bowl. Whisk until well-blended.

Drain noodles and place in large bowl. Add cabbage and green onion and toss to combine. Add PB mixture and toss until evenly coated.

HTH. It says this makes 4 servings and each one has 297 calories, 11 g protein, 6 g fat, 52 g carb, and 0 cholesterol.

pl71
05-03-2004, 09:46 AM
Thai curry is a staple in my house because it's cheap, easy to make and tastes really good. It's quite spicy.

If you have an Asian market near you (or a really good grocery store) you can buy a can of curry paste and a couple cans of coconut milk, or you can order cans online. I think the milk is in 8 oz cans-- soup can size. I like panung curry and red curry. This is the brand paste I use: http://www.templeofthai.com/thai_curry_pastes/thai_curry_pastes.html

To make the curry, stir fry some small pieces of meat in a large skillet. I think we use about 3/4 lb of beef. You can use beef, chicken or shrimp. Once the meat is ready add one can of paste and 2 cans of milk, stir it together and let it sit a minute to warm up the sauce. Serve over rice.

You can add whatever veggies to the curry you like. I usually add canned mushrooms and canned baby corn because it takes no extra work for these. I've also added tofu and green peppers. Eggplant, zucchini and brocolli would also probably be good in it. It makes about 4 servings or more if you add a lot of veggies to it.

Patty