PDA

View Full Version : cicuit training (Curves) - anyone doing this?

lisams
05-03-2004, 06:18 PM
I just read about this, I guess it's a 30 minute workout where you rotate stations like every few minutes or so? Anyone doing this and could tell me more?

Thanks,
Lisa

jasabo
05-04-2004, 12:10 PM
I don't, but my dad's wife has been doing it for about a year and she loves it! It's very popular here in the Phoenix area. They've got weight machines set up and you go in and do your reps then do an aerobic exercise (jog in place, jumping jacks, etc) in between each set. So you're getting in your aerobic and weight training in 30 minutes. I think the developers of Curves also have a book out. I think I saw it at Costco or something like that. Like I said, it's very popular. They've got studios all over the place. They were in northern VA too, and gaining popularity there before I moved out here to AZ.

Anyway, if you only have 30 minutes to spare for exercise, it'd probably work out really well for you.

Lisa - mom to 10 month old twin boys

lisams
05-05-2004, 12:13 AM
I know what you mean about it being so popular in Phoenix! I live in Chandler (Arizona) and I see them all over the place in strip malls so I was curious. What you described sounds a lot like what I was thinking it was like. Thanks for the info!

Lisa

stillplayswithbarbies
05-09-2004, 12:07 PM
yes, I have been doing it for 2 and a half years now. I lost 70 pounds doing it before I got pregnant. I continued going right up until the day before I gave birth, and I am convinced that is why I had such an easy labor and delivery. :)

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

MartiesMom2B
05-12-2004, 10:31 AM
Karen:

How much is the membership fee? I tried to look it up on the website but I didn't see it.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

liya
05-12-2004, 04:19 PM
This sounds interesting. I think it gives you that personal trainer benefit without all the costs...I have one nearby hummmm...Karen what are the specs? Im thinking of combining it with swimming?

stillplayswithbarbies
05-13-2004, 10:38 PM
It's different prices in different cities. I pay $30 a month, and I think the membership fee was $69 when I joined back in 2001.

They run specials sometimes for reduced membership fee, if you join with a friend.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

peanut4us
05-14-2004, 09:44 PM
I tried it over the summer and it was just, OK. My group seemed to be pretty clicquey though. I maintained my weight for the 3 months that I was on it. I did go at least 4 times a week and worked hard while I was there. i did NOT alter my eating enough to actually lose weight though. So I don't blame Curves for my not losing weight, but I guess I didn't feel like it was enough of a workout.

I do know ladies who it really works for though... most of them either don't work or are school teachers. I add that because for working women, their hours suck. At least the ones near me do. I've made a choice to exercise after Sara goes to bed and not right after work... Curves here closes at 7, so you'd have to be in the door by 6:30. I didn't like that at all.

I also had some knee pain with some of the machines... the ladies who worked there said I must not have been doing a machine properly. But I tried with them watching and they said I was doing it right. So whatever that means.

I would see if they will give you a 1 week free introductory pass. That way you can see if it is something that you think you will fit with. Good luck though. Any decision that helps someone exercise regularly is a good decision.