PDA

View Full Version : Ok I'm switching from Atkins to SOUTH BEACH!!!!!

NEVE and TRISTAN
05-22-2004, 09:15 PM
I jsut returned from Costco, bought the book, and it's little "cheat sheet" of a book (what you can eat and can't).

I of course need to read the book now...

Please tell me...
I am willing to cut my coffee intake to 1 cup (huge drop for me)and from caff to decaff But I have to have 1/3 rd of a a cup of whole milk which would equal I think 4-6grams of Carbs.
Please tell me that I can do this if I cut back elsewhere-it is the only way...

ALSO I love love love Greek Salads.., I make wonderful Greek Salads, I read in the cheat sheet that I can have 6 leafs of Romaine (I wish you cold see the salads I eat they are HUGE) so I'm willing but can I have the sundried tomatoes, soft goat cheese (is said "limited"), orange or yellow peppers, onion...anyone know.....

I can succeed on this if I can have these...
Can anyone give me the quick cliff notes to the above...

And any ideas on how to succeed!!!
I want to lose 30 lbs...

Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

egoldber
05-22-2004, 09:42 PM
Neve,

I have never limited my caffeine coffee intake on the SBD. I did switch to the fat free half and half that he recommends though. I think a little whole milk a day wouldn;t be a problem, but maybe measure for one day to make sure you know how much you are really adding to your coffee. If its more than half a cup, I wouldn't use it. You don't count carbs on the SBD, so I have no idea how many carbs are in anything, LOL!

I have never measured my salads. My salads (when they are the meal) are HUGE. Rather than measure lettuce, measure the dressing. No more than 2 tablespoons of a dressing which has NO hydrogentated vegetable oils and has less than 3 grams of sugar per serving. Instead of the soft goat cheese (which is pretty high in fat, maybe for special occasions only) maybe use reduced fat feta cheese? Just make sure to also have lean protein serving with that meal, because that isn't really enough protein.

Here's a terrific post from another message board that summarizes
the SBD.

HTH,

"Here is an attempt to summarize. Others will add good comments I'm sure.

The basis of the SB diet is (Phase 1, 2 and 3):

1. Eat good carbs, avoid bad carbs.
2. Eat good fats, avoid bad fats.
3. Eat whole foods, avoid processed foods.
4. Eat plenty - do not go hungry.

An elaboration:

The big difference between Phase 1 and Phase 2 is that in Phase 1 you just eat the very lowest GI carbs to help stabilize your blood sugar, and then you start reintroducing moderate-GI carbs into your diet in Phase 2.

GI stands for Glycemic Index - an indication of how greatly a food causes blood sugar spikes.

1. To eat good carbs - i.e. carbs that are low-GI and nutritious (packed with vitamins and fiber). These carbs don't spike your blood sugar like the bad hi-GI carbs do (avoid white sugar, white bread, white flour, white rice, white potatoes). Maintaining a steady blood sugar prevents too high a rise in insulin and resulting hunger/cravings. This is particularly important for folks that are pre-diabetic or already have type 2 diabetes. For those that don't this is how you can prevent developing insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes.

There are lots of excellent lo-GI whole foods to enjoy. Most vegetables, many fruits, and especially legumes/beans are low-GI and packed with vitamins and fiber.

All grains eaten should be whole grains. Some grains are lower-GI than others - e.g. oats and barley contain a lot of soluble biger which makes them lower-GI than rice and wheat. Whole grains provide fiber, a critical part of a healthy diet. Refined grains do not do this and only provide lots of empty calories.

Using sugar substitutes is a good strategy when you must have something sweetened.

2. To eat good fats - i.e. avoid saturated fats and trans-fats and enjoy monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats which are heart-healthy fats. Foods containing omega-3 fatty acids (flax seeds, oily fish, canola oil, walnuts) are particularly heart healthy.

Good fats help keep you satiated without eating huge amounts of food. Although we might limit some super hi-fat foods like nuts, you should still eat a serving a day because it is good for your heart plus it will help you not be hungry.

Eat lean cuts of meat (for low saturated fat), eat fish, eggs, poultry, low-fat dairy, nuts, seeds. Low-fat dairy, eggs and poulty are low in saturated fat. Fish is low in sat. fat and high in omega-3 fatty acids. Nuts and seeds are chock full of healthy fats and vitamins.

Enjoy olive oil, canola oil, and other unsaturated oils. Avoid cream, butter, and margarine/spreads that contain hydrogenated oils.

Whole fat dairy (milk, cream, butter) is high in saturated fat, so use nonfat or low-fat dairy, and avoid butter/cream.

3. To eat whole foods, and avoid processed foods.

Processed food - particularly baked goods, bars, etc. These often contain trans-fats from the hydrogenated oils they contain. They often contain a lot of added sugar to make them "taste better".

Repeat: All grains eaten should be whole grains.

The nice thing about mostly eating whole foods, is you don't have to read the ingredients list on fruit, vegetables, meats, etc.

Reading the ingredients list on a processed food is important:

Breads - at least 3g fiber per slice. Preferrably more. Avoid breads that have enriched (white) flour as the main ingredient. Want mostly whole grains.

Avoid cakes, cookies, sweet baked goods, candy, etc. These are full of refined grains (flours) and loads of sugar. Worst carbs around. Terrible for your blood sugar.

Look out for added sugar in products. Some foods such as milk, peanut butter, fruits, naturally contain sugar, but as long as they are low-GI, you don't have to worry about the naturally occurring sugar. This sugar will show up as part of the nutrition info on the product. Check the ingredients list to see whether sugar has been added, if no sugar is in the ingredients list, than the sugar on the nutrition label is just the sugar occurring naturally in the whole food.

Sucrose, table sugar, dextrose, maltodextrin, fructose, corn syrup, yada yada - these are added sugars/sweeteners and if they occur early in the ingredient list (say first 3 or 4 items) you should be wary of the product. On some condiments like mayo, salad dressings 3g or less of sugar/serving is fine.

Be wary of fat-free, fat-reduced products. Often sugar is added to these products to replace the fat - a worse substitution. A big exception to this is low-fat dairy products where the fat (cream) is simply removed.

Finally: Eat plenty - do not go hungry. Snack when you need to. Protein and nuts and beans/veggies make good snacks. At meals, eat plenty of vegetables to help fill you up and give you plenty of fiber.

This is all very healthy eating. So the real benefit of the SBD Phase 2 is that you will learn how to eat healthy for the rest of your life. And your blood chemistry will improve significantly. Weight loss is just a pleasant side effect. "

NEVE and TRISTAN
05-22-2004, 09:51 PM
typing w/sleepy t so please excuse lower cases...

thank you so much Beth, this sounds so much more like my kind of diet. I could live off greek salads but sans goat cheese I don't know...

off to read my book, and to buy no fat milk (which should be illegal:))...that will kill me....

but i'll try!!!!
i hope I'm as successful as you've been you should be proud I've been reading the archives!!!!
Neve
Feb 25, 2003

liya
05-22-2004, 10:25 PM
geesh ive been eating greek salads all this week(looooove them ) LOL and i havent given up on any cheese. The cookbook actually has alot of recepies with goats cheese for phase 1 !!! :) HTH

NEVE and TRISTAN
05-22-2004, 10:50 PM
Darn it I should have bought the cook book...that makes me feel better...I just ran out and got my fat free milk...yuck!!!

I'll be grump pot without my coffee "just so"...but the rest of it actually sounds typical to how I eat, so why am I fat????
Neve
Feb 25, 2003

egoldber
05-22-2004, 10:55 PM
One word: vegetables

I honestly never realized how few veggies I ate. You eat your full 5-7 daily servings of veggies on the SBD.

I also used to make meals of carbs and grains. Now, I limit myself to one serving per meal (which means no more than a 1/2 cup of rice or pasta with a meal).

Those two things alone I think made a huge difference for me. :)

NEVE and TRISTAN
05-22-2004, 11:32 PM
See I like veggies...so that should be good for me.
And though I am a huge carb addict if I can have that amount I think that will keep me happy!!!!

Thank you ladies...
I start tomorrow...
At 145lbs (which I can't beleive)...and hope to lose 30 lbs...

Steve and I were up in DC at our favorite hole in the wall sushi place in Alexandria and I have gone there for 15 years (sinc ethe opened)...the two gals there commented on my weight gain, in the most broken of English, but I swear they went on and on and on...they didn't realize that I'd burst out into tears when I got to the car, but that kicked my butt in gear...:)
Neve
Feb 25, 2003

pritchettzoo
05-23-2004, 12:05 AM
If you don't like fat free milk, try 2% in your coffee. It makes a HUGE difference (even 1% will over skim). I actually like to drink skim milk, but 1% or 2% in coffee is a treat for me! :)

Oh, and I can't believe ANYONE would have the gall to comment on your weight. What wenches! I hope their asses double overnight!

Good luck on SB.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

NEVE and TRISTAN
05-23-2004, 12:14 AM
I really think it was a cultural thing, I mean they shocked me in that the two went on and on, but they kind of reminded me of the old moms telling their daughter she'll never find a husband and that she is getting old at 21!!!!!

They have always treated me so nice there, I really think culturally they felt they could say that :)...mind you one of them was a little thinner when I first met her too...but I kept my big mouth shut :)...

If I don't like my fat free milk and added a few drops of whole milk...what does that make it???? 2%????

I'm stressing over my coffee...
Neve
Feb 25, 2003

lukkykatt
05-23-2004, 10:16 AM
Neve, you are beautiful inside and out. I am sure that what they were doing was not intended to be mean, but I would have had major hurt feelings too :(

I've been doing SBD for a month now and love it - it is good healthy eating, and very simple to do - even when you eat out, once you learn the "rules". DH has lost 15 pounds, and I have lost 6 - I am now tucking in my shirts again :) We were out at a restaurant graduation party yesterday and had no problems. The only special request that we made was DH asked the waitress to take away our plate of fried appetizers from the table and they brought us cut up veggies instead!

I don't think you need to stress about your coffee - I believe that he says that a few cups of coffee a day are fine. I know you said that you got fat free milk, but have you tried the non-fat half and half? That is what we use and it tastes just the same to me. I have also switched somewhat to splenda, which I never thought I could do. I have always been anti-artificial sweetner, but I have tried splenda and it tastes fine, and I do use that in limited amounts. I had my coffee this morning with the Land O'Lakes fat free half and half and splenda and it was just fine - give that a try.

PS: I started this out as the most major of carboholics and I haven't looked back. Once you get used to not eating refined carbs, you really don't miss it at all - as said from the person who would have chosen bread as her one food to take on a desert isle! And having a set of rules to follow has helped me with my illicit snacking, ie, from the kids' plates, which I think was one factor doing me in...

egoldber
05-23-2004, 11:15 AM
I also use the Fat Free half and half and think it tastes great in my coffee. I don't use sweetener in my coffee, but when I feel the need for seomthing to be sweeter, I do add a little Splenda.

And I agree about having a guideline to work from makes it so much easier for me to keep my eating under control. I used to routinely finish Sarah's food (I came from a you MUST clean your plate kind of family) and snack on all kinds of things that I now know were just creating more cravings. And I find it easy to eat out and still find things that work for me on this eay of eating.

Neve, you are a beautiful woman. I am sorry those two women upset you. For me, the impetus was a wonderful post by Linda and also the realization that I never wanted to be in photos because of my appearance. I was determined to do something about it!

Good luck!!!

cinrein
05-24-2004, 10:46 AM
Neve,
Dh and I have been doing SBD since January. He's lost 20-some pounds and I've lost 14. We've kind of stalled lately, but it's because we've strayed from the rules.

I'm sorry those women made you feel so badly. I guess if it gave you the push you needed to eat more healthy, then maybe it wasn't such a bad thing. Still, I'm sorry.

One thing I've discovered is that all fat free half and halfs are not created equally. We like Land o Lakes brand the best. The generic supermarket kind (Shoppers Food Warehouse) is gross, might as well use skim milk. BJs carries some brand I never heard of which is just OK, not as good and Land O Lakes, IMO.

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

NEVE and TRISTAN
05-24-2004, 01:04 PM
So far so good...
I bought some fat free milk and am amazed that I don't mind it. Since turning 30 I have suffered a slight lactose intolerance so I actually don't cramp in the mornings like I normally do. I am suprised I have been fine with the fat free milk. It's not as good but do able.

We went to Costco and made up a bunch of salmon and I nibble on that for either lunch or dinner, and the veggies...
A greek salad a day.
I'm doing pretty good :)

This is by far more enjoyable to me than Adkins!!!!
Thank you all for your advice and encouragement.

Edited to add: Beth I am the same way I am hardly in any pictures, I'll tell you the big kicker too was getting my latest passport picture done last week, I swear I had 100 chins, and then to beable to look at my old one done 10 years ago at the same time just pushed me over the edge. It's so unfair to think what my body has done in 10 years...just 10 simple little years...

Neve
Feb 25, 2003

jubilee
05-26-2004, 06:55 PM
Neve, I don't know if you have Safeway grocery stores in your area, but they sell Skim Supreme milk which is way better than regular fat free milk!

NEVE and TRISTAN
05-28-2004, 08:24 PM
Thaks Julie, sorry I missed this, I don't check into all the forums here...we don't have them...we do up in our old area...

But I am amazed at how I am adapting ot the fat free milk...I really am not noticing much of a difference and am floored by that!!!!

Now my desire for a COKE today has killed me :)...
Neve
Feb 25, 2003