PDA

View Full Version : South Beach and the Breast Feeding Challange

JMS
05-25-2004, 10:45 PM
I'm wondering if anyone has run into this problem and if they found a way to overcome it...

My DD is 3 1/2 months old and BF exclusively... I still have baby weight to lose and summer is fast approaching. Since I have hypothyroidism (an underactive thryoid condition that slows your metabolism), low carb diets are the only way I've ever lost weight in the past (well, along with a lot of exercise). Anyway, talked to my endocrinologist and was assured that a low carb diet would not jepordize my milk supply and that my baby would still get all the nutrients she needed. The problem was that after 2 days on the SB (which I didn't think was so bad), my very regular DD couldn't poop.. which I attributed to lack of fiber (from grains). She did have terrible gas though, probably from all the green veggies (especially the brocolli). SO, I stopped SB and all has been restored with DD, but my extra weight is still here. I really want to lose weight in a healthy fashion, but in no way do I want to cause any discomfort to my DD..
any suggestions..

BTW, for those of you on SB who can't sacrifice your morning cup of coffee, I highly recommend trying Land of Lakes, Fat Free 1/2 & 1/2... it's so good..
also, the Balsamic Chicken from SB is great.

Thanks in Advance.

egoldber
05-25-2004, 10:54 PM
It is generally recommended for breastfeeding moms to start with Phase 2 of South Beach. In Phase 2, you will be getting 2-4 whole grain carb servings per day, so that may help your problem. And perhaps avoid the gassier veggies?

HTH,

cinrein
05-26-2004, 08:24 AM
I was still BFing when I started SBD, so I started in Phase 2. I had 2 pieces of bread or grains a day and 1-2 pieces of fruit, plus all the salads and veggies. I still managed to lose weight rather easily--I didn't exercise. I suggest starting in Phase 2 and if your DD still has regularity problems, add more bread/fruit servings each day until you find the right balance.

I totally agree on the Land o Lakes FF half and half---it's our favorite!

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

Lynnie
06-04-2004, 01:04 PM
i am considering starting either the sb diet, or the zone, and am still breastfeeding my 8 week old. if i do the phase 2 part, and don't cheat, how much do you think realistically i could lose in 2 months?? i would like to *eventually* lose 16-18 pounds, but that would get me below my pre pregnancy weight, to what i weighed before i got married even - a very lofty goal. i am hoping now, realistically, just to lose 8-10 pounds. do you think that is possible ? and how about if i do cheat, just a little...

and does anyone know the difference between the two diets - from what i have read in these posts the sb sounds similar to the zone, which is concerned with bad carbs too and glycemic indexes, etc.

thanks in advance !

lynn

egoldber
06-04-2004, 03:08 PM
There is no cheating on the SBD. There are 1) foods to enjoy all the time and 2) foods to enjoy on occasion. Lean proteins and vegetables fall into the first category. Chocolate cake falls into the second. :)

It takes a bit of experimenting in Phase 2 to figure out how much and what kinds of food to eat and still lose weight. Everyone is different so there is no one answer for everyone. After I went on Phase 2, I lost an average of 3 pounds a month. I would say that in an average week, I eat all but 2 meals according the plan. The other couple meals (usually eating out on the weekends) I indulge myself a bit more liberally. :)

But I just want to say that you are still really early post partum. I would give yourself a few more months before actively trying to lose weight (although developing healthier eating habits is always a good thing!). Also, you don't mention if you are exercising, but if not, then try to find a program that works for you. Even just a couple workouts a week can make a big difference.

HTH,

Lynnie
06-06-2004, 11:51 AM
thanks ! i am walking alot, and did go spinning once, last week, but then the whole household, including me, got sick, so i have been taking it easy. i am going to join a gym, and really do need to exercise more...

three pounds a month is less than i hoped, but the most important thing is to make sure i have enough milk supply and that i get and stay healthy, so even six pounds lost would help, especially since i am only 5'4"

thanks for the encouragement, and i guess i'll go get the book. phase two sounds good, but i'll have to be more disciplined about the foods you only eat once in a while, especially since i had a bag of baked tostitos on the couch next to me yesterday as i typed in my query...

thanks again !

lynn