PDA

View Full Version : Gym-goers, a question!!

aliceinwonderland
06-09-2004, 06:31 PM
so, I hate the gym. Basically the ONLY kind of exercise I can do without major will power is swimming and long walks. But I need something more "hardcore". Because I hate the gym and physical exersion of any kind (LOL), can someone give me a simple to follow, hard to cheat routine for lifting weights...I need to tone my flabby arms (for lower body, I use the machines)... (i.e 2 reps of 8 sets of 8lb weigh-thingies"...I need to see some results, people :)!!

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

egoldber
06-09-2004, 09:30 PM
Well the only things I do at the gym are cardio machines (treadmill, and elliptical) and the occasional class (water aerobics and yoga). I mainly go for the cardio machines because I just don't get out to walk. It just doesn't happen, so that is the only way I get cardio.

For weight training, I prefer to use a tape at home. I have been using Kathy Smith's Lift Weights to Lose Weight 2 and I love it. I love Kathy and her style. This workout kicks my butt at this point. I also have a tape called 8 Minute Abs and Arms, and it is good too. Many of the moves are the same as in the Kathy Smith tape, but its a little quicker workout, so I do it if I am short on time.

Honestly, I am too self conscious to use the weights at the gym. Too many jock types and buff early twenties in skin tight stuff hanging around the weight machines for me. I know this is MY problem, lol, but there you go.

HTH,

aliceinwonderland
06-09-2004, 10:32 PM
BUT, this gym I now go to has a "private" room where only women exercise...SO I go there, and try not to look at myself in the mirror. LOL

jubilee
06-10-2004, 01:49 AM
A good book on women's weight lifting is by Rachel McLish- I know Amazon has it and my library has it. It goes over each body part, each movement, and how to do it properly.

redhookmom
06-10-2004, 08:31 AM
Beth-
What kind of weights do you use with the video? And, if you don't mind another question: when do you use it during the day?

Thanks

egoldber
06-10-2004, 11:55 AM
I bought some free weights at Target. And try to do it during nap time twice a week.

redhookmom
06-10-2004, 12:42 PM
Thanks.

lukkykatt
06-10-2004, 03:19 PM
I use Tammy Lee Webb's (sp?) "I want that Body" dvd. It has arms, abs and butt workouts - all about 15 minutes each. I just started doing the arms maybe a month or 2 ago - when we were at my mom's house for Mother's day she asked me about my arms - she could see the definition. Ok, at this point, it is definitely a difference only a mother could see (and DH), but I was still very excited.

cinrein
06-11-2004, 04:14 PM
Eri,

Is there any way you can meet with a trainer and explain what you want to get out of your work outs? They should be able to design a simple yet effective routine for you.

For aerobic, try everything the club offers. I am not the athletic type AT ALL, so I was surprised to discover than I like the hardcore stuff like spinning and kickboxing the best. I also really like Pilates and yoga. I can't stand the stationary machines unless I'm running with really LOUD good music playing in my ears. :)

Cindy and Anna February 2003

Chelsey333
06-18-2004, 09:13 PM
If you hate the gym then you shouldn't go, bec probably you will eventually give up bec you hate it so much. Have you tried videos at home? I used to workout in a gym. But I have seen better results with The Firm videos and Cathe Friedrich videos. If you are a beginner you could start off with a tape like Body Sculpt from the Firm and use no weights until you are ready. good luck!