PDA

View Full Version : SB Dieters or Veggie Eaters

Jeanne
06-11-2004, 09:54 AM
Can you all tell me realistically how many servings of veggies you eat per day, why kind of veggies, and how you prepare them? I need to increase my intake but am not really a fan.
Help!

egoldber
06-11-2004, 02:30 PM
I eat at least 5-7 servings per day.

At breakfast I have a 6 oz glass of tomato juice and occasionally some veggies in my scrambled eggs or in my omelette (usually leftovers from the night before).

At lunch I usually have a huge salad, so 3-4 cups of chopped veggies (1-2 cups lettuce plus 1-2 cups of other chopped raw veggies).

For snacks I often have chopped raw veggies with cheese or hummos.

At dinner we usually have a side salad with veggies in it as well as a steamed vegetable on the side (like broccoli, cauliflower or carrots). I usually toss the steamed veggies with I Can't Believe Its Not Butter spray. Another dinnner we like is stir fry, which is very heavy on vegetables.

We eat a lot of broccoli, so I buy it pre-chopped in big bags at Costco. I also like the small baby carrots in bags, they can be steamed as is or eaten raw. I also like to buy snow peas and snap peas since they require little prep. Raw spinach is great quickly steamed and tossed with a vinaigrette dressing.

HTH,

jubilee
06-12-2004, 02:01 AM
It's probably a silly question- but how much is a serving? Does it depend on the veggie? I'm thinking of lettuce, broccoli, celery.

egoldber
06-12-2004, 10:55 AM
For lettuce, I believe 1 cup is a serving. For most veggies, I think 1/2 cup is considered a serving.

HTH,

Jeanne
06-14-2004, 11:07 AM
Thanks Beth.

That's about 1/2 more than I eat per day. I have to admit that I skip the veggies in favor of eating at least 3-4 cups of Chicken Caesar Salad each day. However, lately I've been too lazy to run the leaves through the spinner. I also only eat about half to one serving of broccoli each night. I'm not a big fan of veggies at all unless they're grilled (little nutritional value left at that point), so it's hard. I'm counting fat grams now. Any good salad dressing recommendations? I'm sick of Just 2 Good.