PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Running?

Grace_underfire
07-03-2004, 11:26 AM
Hi,

I have a goal of loosing 20 lbs by October 15th (My DS bday)
Anyway I have started running today. Anybody else runs?

JulieL
07-03-2004, 02:26 PM
I only run every once in a while for variety sake. My DH runs abou 20 miles a week and just loves it. Don't make the mistake I have made and run to much to quickly. If you do your joints will be hurting really bad! I started at 1/4 of a mile and now can do 3. Go your own pace and enjoy!

ShayleighCarsensMom
07-03-2004, 06:18 PM
I run...
I actually just ran my first marathon a few weeks ago.
Definitly take it slow at first. A great way to start running is to alternate running and walking. Even throughout the entire marathon, I continued to run for 5 minutes and walk for one. It really breaks it up and you can go a lot further than just running.
Good luck, its fun!

alleyoop
07-03-2004, 10:00 PM
I run, even though I stopped a couple weeks ago for the rest of my pg. I had a lot of problems with shin splints while running for a long time, but seemed to have finally 'run out of them' this fall! I praise starting a new training program that is based on lactate threshold training. You do all your runs based on time and heart rate instead of distance. It really made a big difference with my running and weight loss.

I know there are some good books out there about it, but I followed the program in Outside Magazine, 'The Shape of Your Life,' http://outside.away.com/outside/bodywork/200205/200205shape_of_your_life.html
tailoring the weight training a bit to do less upper body and more lower. After this pg, I will most likely take it right back up again.

Good luck with whatever you do! I got alot of self confidence from being able to call myself a runner and feeling strong, even if I am wearing XL spandex while doing it!

Grace_underfire
07-05-2004, 03:14 PM
Hi! Thanks for the replies!

I am starting very, very slow. I am doing a walking/running program and I do have a goal of entering a 5K by the end of the year.
:) I think the weightloss would be a lot easier if I could just stop craving sweets :)

stella
07-05-2004, 09:57 PM
I am doing a "couch to 5k" program found on www.coolrunning.com

It is under the section called "training" and then "new runners".

It is an 8 or 9 (sadly, I can't remember!) week run/walk program and I just love it. I have done week 3 for about 3 weeks just trying to build my confidence and am proud to say that I successfully did week 4 day 1 yesterday. Week 4 involves running for 5 minutes, walking for 2 1/2, running 3 minutes, walking 90 seconds.

I feel pretty pitiful that I have taken so many weeks to build up to running 5 minutes, but it's more than I've ever done before, so I guess it's an accomplishment.

I am enjoying it, so check it out! I'll try to post a better link:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Good Luck with your program!!

liya
07-06-2004, 08:52 PM
We have the Michelob(sp? not into beers LOL) 5K marathon soon and i have been training for it...!! Loving the running...its really relaxing

jacksmomtobe
07-10-2004, 03:59 PM
Cool Running is a great website! I used to run a good deal but then pulled my hamstring playing tennis. I had just started to get back into it & had some great runs when I found out I was pregnant. I ran for awhile into my pregnancy but then stopped due to lower energy and winter weather. I'm just starting up again now that ds is 3 1/2 months. Running is great because it shapes up your whole body not just your legs. Anyone can do it. It gets easier after awhile. Don't over do it & enjoy. I like to run without music (met my husband due to running & we used to run a lot together) because I find it easier to get in a groove but sometimes good music can be a great distraction and can inspire you to keep on going. I strongly believe that physical activity can make you both stronger physically and mentally. It can be very empowering.

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations regarding a jogging bra..I'm breastfeeding and don't feel that the nursing bra gives enough support but then a regular sports bra might be too tight & put pressure on my breasts. I would guess there are companies that make fitness gear for nursing moms and would love any recommendations.

Thanks and Enjoy running!
Kim

jenmcadams
07-12-2004, 09:54 PM
Check out Title9 sports www.title9sports.com. I'm pretty sure last catalog had a nursing sports bra...I ran and worked out quite a bit while I was still nursing and I just used a regular sports bra (I'm pretty small though, so the standard Moving Comfort sports bra worked for me in a size larger than normal)

jbowman
07-13-2004, 01:00 AM
I love running--haven't read other posts, but I am sure that you have received excellent advice! Pre-pregnancy I used to run half-marathons, but I gave them up awhile ago!

I just got into running again and am thrilled about it. My advice is to take it slowly at first. Just do a combination of walking and running, and slowly increase the amount of running. Also make sure that you have the appropriate shoes. You might check out Runner's World (if anything, it might motivate you!) or their website for more information.

I think it's great that you have started running! Honestly it is the only surefire way for me to lose weight quickly.

Good luck and have fun!