PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried Jenny Craig for weight loss???

SteelerFan
07-06-2004, 10:01 PM
I am currently 4 1/2 weeks away from giving birth to my third and last child--I am 50 pounds or so overweight and I hate the way I look right now! I look huge and terrible and yes, I know that I am pregnant, but I've only gained 11 pounds so far so most of my fatness is my own! LOL! I'm trying to figure out a way to finally lose all of my weight after this baby is born. I've done Weight Watchers in the past, but I find it easier for me to cheat on the diet--it took me a year to lost 25 pounds--and I don't want to take that long to lose this weight. I had been going to Curves for exercise up until this week when my OB told me to stop, and I do plan on continuing after.

I know that Jenny Craig can be expensive, but does it *really* work? I think having that structure would really help me jump start my weight loss, but I'm concerned about the food tasting terrible and the actual cost of the program. Anyone have any advice???

Thanks so much!

Amy

liya
07-07-2004, 02:17 PM
I was once(before i got preggo) in the JC program and then tried it again after to loose some of the preggo weight. The first time around i lost about 20 pds it was excellent. I didnt find i gained the weight as fast just because i wasnt keeping tabs on it cause of the preggo, but the second time around i did find that i hated the foods and honestly they really didnt taste appetizing at all, of course im not a fan of red peppers and other foods they have ick...but it does work, i just think the portions of foods are extremely low. But for someone that doesnt have the time to cook etc it works well...

hth

SteelerFan
07-07-2004, 11:20 PM
I'm not a fan of any type of cooked veggies, I like the flavor, just don't eat them. Were you hungry? What about the cost--did you find it to be too much? I thought that if I could just do the initial 20# for $20 deal that I would be able to see if the cost would hold me back or it it would be worth it for me to continue going for the rest of the weight.

Did you do the program where when you're halfway to goal the program adds regular food and counseling with your program food?

Thanks for your help, I know it's a lot of questions, but I'm trying to figure out how to get my figure back (from like 9 years ago when I had my first! LOL!!!)

Amy

liya
07-08-2004, 04:18 PM
Its terribly expensive. Not because of the initial cost but because the cost of food for me was beyond 100.00 a week...Which was extremely expensive. If you dont like any cooked veggies etc that i really dont think the program is for you. They have huge servings of veggies and very little of everything else thats why i think i didnt agree with their food portions.

The halfway program is ok, honestly im just stuck on those low food portions LOL....Have you considered Weight Watchers? Honestly i think its your safest bet to a diet that can actually be followed forever...I use alot of whole foods and dont feel hungry(and yes with JC i did feel hungry many times)..And i feel that with the points WW provides you can loose weight effectively and since your eating regular food its more probable that the diet will become a way of life rather than a phase.

JC didnt allow me the flexibility to eat what i wanted when i wanted to. It restricted me alot even in the half way phase. Im not saying there are no restrictions in other diets just that JC was to extreme for me :)...

I like to eat everyday foods and the ocassional pizza or hamburguer. But now i have learned how to eat and how much to eat and how to make it healthier :)....If you want the convinience of the JC program you can just make meals bigger and freeze them :) and then reheat when your hungry LOL....IHTH

SteelerFan
07-08-2004, 10:44 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of $70/week. I don't know if I could talk my husband into $400/month until I got to my 20# mark, which I thought would be around 2 1/2 months--$1000 for 20#? yikes...I did do WW in the past, it was just that the weight loss was soooOOoooo slow for me, but maybe that is my best bet! I bought Dr. Phil's book, but I think I need to do something where I have to go and get weighed each week. Thank you so much for your insight--it does help me alot!

Amy

candybomiller
07-09-2004, 04:00 PM
Amy,

If you do decide to go with WW, be sure to join the online group we've started. The address to join is

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bbbww/

We'd love to have you!

SteelerFan
07-09-2004, 05:05 PM
I have TONS and TONS of recipes from my WW days--I have a huge black binder filled. I actually gave that binder to my daughter's teacher and she made copies for about 5 different teachers because they were on WW, too! I probably won't start until September, my C-section is scheduled for 8/9--so I"m guessing that after my 5-6 week appt., he'll give me the ok to start exercising and in the mean time I can try and watch what I'm eating. If you need any recipes, let me know!!!

Amy

liya
07-09-2004, 11:10 PM
WW got even better now. I dont know when u were a memeber and if you got to use the flex points but its awsome. And the WW support group here is very cool!! To have a healthy weight loss it should be gradual. Sometimes it varies from half a pound to 2 pds per week and if you are nursing i think it should stick somewhere in between half a pound to a 1pd per week....Week by week the weight will shift. Its better to loose it gradually and to see how much effort it takes to loose 10 pds. than to loose it quickly and take that effort for granted....(thats how i think anyhow :) im a very slow looser btw )....

HTH