PDA

View Full Version : WW & Breastfeeding

Jacksonvol
07-15-2004, 08:20 PM
I just started WW last week. I am nursing/ pumping @ 3x per day. DD is 10 mo.old and into solids with formula supplement. My question is: Do I go with the nursing mom points or the regular points?

Thanks, Lisa

slknight
07-15-2004, 08:43 PM
Hmm. That's a good question. I did WW from when DS was about 3 months until 11 months. I definitely went with the nursing points (love the 10 extra points) because he was still nursing quite a bit - about 8 times a day. I honestly barely had to count my points, because the 10 extra plus the flex points meant I could eat pretty much whatever I wanted and still lose. I lost slowly - about 1 pound a week, but lost 25 pounds.

I took a break in March and finally went back a few weeks ago. I've gained about 5 pounds back. DS is down to nursing only once or twice a day. While I haven't watched my points too closely, I can tell you that I can not eat the way that I was previously and still lose weight. Instead, I'm gaining.

One of the WW staff suggested that I start with the nursing points, and then start slowly cutting 2 points off a week and see how I do with that.

I know that everyone is different, but I do think that 10 extra points might be a bit much for you if you're only nursing/pumping 3x/day based on my own experience. Maybe you want to try 5 extra points instead and see how that works?

HTH.

candybomiller
07-15-2004, 09:21 PM
Keep in mind that I have absolutely no experience with nursing and weight watchers!

I would start off with just regular points. I think that between those and flexies, you'll have plenty. If you want, take an extra couple of points to make sure you get enough milk/calcium, but I would think that it would be MAX 5 points a day. Probably closer to 2.

ETA: I know I'm losing my mind, but have you joined the wwbbb yahoo group yet? It's lots of fun! All the cool kids are doing it! ;)

ericajosh
07-15-2004, 10:24 PM
I just read the booklet and my understanding is that the nursing points are to be used before you introduce solids or supplements. I was so bummed to find this out (I dropped from 30 pts. to 18-22!!) and didn't think I could make it. It makes sense though, cause when you nurse round the clock you burn more calories and are soooo hungry. Double check, but I think you should go closer to your "non-nursing" pt. range.
Erica

Jacksonvol
07-16-2004, 01:42 AM
Crumbs! I was afraid that was the case. My regular points would be 22. I think I will go with 27 to account for my extra milk consumption and see how that works. I can check eith my leader person on Monday. Ironically, I found myself having to conciously eat more fruit the last two days to even get to 34 points, so logically, it should not be a big deal. But my subconcious is now "missing" those extra points.

And to top it off we are going to be travelling this weekend and being fed well. Sigh. I guess I will turn to flexi-points for some stuff and just suck it up for the rest. The good thing is, DH is doing this with me, so he is a good cheerleader.

I did joint the yahoo group and I'll check in Monday with the results from the first week!

Lisa