PDA

View Full Version : I'm Having Issues with "The Firm"

lmariana
07-21-2004, 11:07 AM
I've been using The Firm (2) workout system off and on for a couple of weeks. Over the past few days, I've been having some really bad knee pains, so I've laid off. I'm hesitant to start back up again though. My knees still hurt, so I wouldn't be starting back up any time soon...

Has anyone else had knee problems after using the Firm?

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

Chelsey333
07-21-2004, 02:25 PM
I used the Firm all last year, and it did take a toll on my knees. So many of the exercises you are putting a lot of pressure on your knees by stepping up on that tall box. Have you tried Cathe Friedrich? She is incredible, and I got a lot better results when I switched to her. Her cardio routines can be confusing at first. But her weight training videos are really great. My knees stopped hurting when I used Cathe, bec she doesn't use a tall box for all her videos and her moves are not as repetitive as the Firm can be - imho.

mamahill
07-21-2004, 03:59 PM
I found that my knees hurt more when I wasn't watching my form. I'm not saying you're doing it wrong, because what do I know?! :) But I had to make a conscious effort to make sure my knee(s) were over my ankles when doing steps, lunges, etc. That made a big difference. Also, is it just with the tall part that you have the pain? If so, I'd recommend using just the blue portion (or even the purple). It could be that the muscles around your knee need to built up strength first before taking on the bigger movements.

That's all I can think of. I hope your knee pain goes away soon - it's never fun to be in pain.

lmariana
07-21-2004, 04:06 PM
Actually, with the Firm 2, it doesn't even bring the Fanny Lifter, so I've just been doing it on the floor, so the stepping thing isn't even the problem! I think it may be a form issue with the lunges, but I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've always been so careful about proper form, but I can't think of anything else that may be the culprit.

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

mamahill
07-21-2004, 07:09 PM
Hmm. I thought I had the Firm 2, but maybe not? I have the DVDs that go with the sculpting stick? The only form thing I can think of, is to try doing lunges in the mirror, so you can see where your knee placement is. Otherwise, I don't know what to suggest. Sorry!

Chelsey333
07-21-2004, 09:12 PM
I thought the Firm 2 was with the FL and the sculpting stick also. I have those also. But I think after the sculpting stick videos came out, some other ones came out after that might be part of the Firm 2. I think one is an upper body tape by Janet. But I am not positive. Another suggestion about the lunges is to not use any weight if your knees are hurting. It might just be too much pressure on your knee joint.

liya
07-22-2004, 12:48 AM
I cant use it either :( and i can do alot at the gym and i can also jog for miles but the firm really kills my knees..So i stopped. It also hurt my back as well....I watched my form every step of the way but i found my legs were awfully short for me to do the excersizes comfortably....

JulieL
07-27-2004, 02:38 PM
I didn't have any knee problems with their workouts but that is not uncommon. Many woman have to give up any kind of step (w/a box) aerobics because of knee problems as well as any kind of kickboxing. Listen to your body first and always. Your knees are priceless and there are plenty of low impact but very vigorious ways to workout. Pilates, yoga, biking, swimming, and speed walking are several just off of the top of my head. My husband runs 20 plus miles a week, but he tries to throw in biking and swimming from time to time to give his knees a rest. It's your body for life so keep that in mind.