PDA

View Full Version : How much weight did you gain?

Laela
07-21-2004, 02:00 PM
I'm curious as to how much weight you mothers gained during your pregnancy. Everytime I read an article, I see the recommended gain is 25-35 pounds, but I've already surpassed that! I'm due Sept 7, so I still have some time to go, but already I've gained 45 pounds!

My doctor hasn't said anything about it, so I didn't think I should be that concerned, but now with these articles, I'm starting to worry.

Did anyone else surpass the 35 pound limit and have a healthy child?

Chelsey333
07-21-2004, 02:15 PM
Two of my friends recently had babies and gained 40+ lbs and both of their babies are healthy.

hez
07-21-2004, 02:28 PM
I hit 35+ pounds for sure, can't remember the exact total. I've heard thoughts that if you started out as underweight you could end up gaining more than the 'normal' range, or if you started out as overweight you could end up gaining less. DS turned out just fine, and I have successfully lost the weight.

My grandmother was told not to gain more than some obscenely small amount of weight when she was pregnant with my mom-- something like 12 or 15 pounds-- or she'd lose her healthcare coverage through the army. Crazy isn't it? The story ended up OK because my grandfather was hon. discharged before she was due, and they were covered by his new job. She gained a normal 30ish pounds. So glad medicine's gotten smarter on that front!

jubilee
07-22-2004, 12:19 AM
With my first I gained 70# and he was healthy but huge- 9lbs 13oz.

With my second I gained 55# and he was healthy but huge- 9lbs 9oz.

If I get pregnant again I am going to try to keep my weight down. Honestly with my two pregnancies I didn't try to eat right and that's why I gained too much. And I also was boarderline diabetic while pregnant, which I used as an excuse as to why I gained weight. But some women gain a lot because of real health problems, so I'd check with your doctor.

Even if you've made bad food choices before, it's not too late to reign it in. You'll be glad after the baby, because you'll already be eating right and it will be easier to lose the weight. I'm still working at losing my pregnancy weight!!

slknight
07-22-2004, 09:17 PM
I gained about 50 to 55 pounds. And I was already about 25 pounds overweight to begin with. I was enormous. However, I was on bedrest between weeks 16 and 24. Even when I was off bedrest, I was on complete restricted activity (no stairs, no bending - i.e. no emptying dishwasher, no doing laundry, no exercise of any kind). Prior to getting pregnant, despite being slightly overweight, I was extremely active and exercised literally every day. So it was quite a shock to my body when I wasn't allowed to do anything. DS was only 7 lbs 5 oz but was perfectly healthy.

COElizabeth
07-22-2004, 10:30 PM
I gained 49 pounds and had a healthy, 6 pound, 6 ounce boy who was born 12 days early. I was induced early due to preeclampsia, and some of the weight may have been retained fluid, but I can tell you that I had surpassed 35 pounds before I got preeclampsia! This time I am trying to exert a bit more self-control, but I am still gaining at close to the same rate. I did lose all the weight, though, and started this pg a few pounds lighter than the previous one.

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
EDD #2, 10-30-04

JacksMommy
07-23-2004, 04:03 PM
I gained close to 50# with #1 and he was a perfectly healthy 7 pounder. I know a friend who gained 100# and had a lovely little girl. While excess weight can be a risk factor, I think it's mostly for the mom (increases risk for things like diabetes and preeclampsia), but don't quote me on that! Also, even though I gained a ton, I lost all the weight without a lot of effort about 10 months post baby (that's not to brag, just to give hope because I know a lot of moms worry about that). Hopefully I'll be albe to do that again because I've already gained 15# and I'm not due 'till Xmas! My mom was told very different weight gain targets when pregnant with each of her three children - I think what matters most is that you try to eat as well as you can, and don't worry too much about the scale.
HTH,
Laurel
Working Mama to Jack, 6/4/02
EDD #2 12/25/02

jk3
07-23-2004, 05:03 PM
I gained about 55 pounds mainly due to bedrest as well. I was on bedrest from week 26-approximately 34. I definitely gained more than the required amount in the first + second trimester but inactivity + eating out of boredom definitely contributed. I was also very active prior to the bedrest, even working out up until that point, so bedrest was more than a chock to the system + I'm still dealing with some residual problems. Should this happen again, I would be more careful. My DS was healthy though early + small, 5 pounds at 36 weeks-not due to my weight gain! I lost 35 pounds very quickly, an additional ten once I resumed my regular workouts + the last ten once I stopped working out-LOL. Just wanted to add that I'm 5'4 so 55 pounds is an outrageous amount to gain...

Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

ShayleighCarsensMom
07-24-2004, 12:12 AM
I gained 68! I was 125 to start and 193 at the end...
I lost it all within ayear, but my clothes are now 1 size bigger...
Just throw that weight gain chart in the trash;-)

pennstatecowgirl
07-25-2004, 02:21 PM
I gained exactly 40 pounds with my pregnancy and my son is healthy and happy :)

Puddy73
07-25-2004, 04:32 PM
I gained almost 50 pounds with DD, and she was a perfectly healthy 7 pounds, 11oz. I refused to look at the scale the last few times that I was weighed because I felt so huge. I'd like to blame my weight gain on my six weeks of bed rest, but really I just ate whatever I wanted. Krispy Kreme was my downfall! I packed it on in the first trimester. If your doctor hasn't mentioned your weight, try not to worry about it. Once your baby starts crawling and walking you can burn it all off chasing him/her around!

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle Mae 9/8/03

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

houseof3boys
07-26-2004, 10:24 AM
I gained almost 50 pounds and have a perfectly healthy child (he is a skinny mini now but was born 8 lbs 3 oz)! I was on bedrest towards the end and that was my weight downfall since I could do nothing except walk to the bathroom a hundred times a day. Okay, so the weekly brownies may have contributed a little bit. :)

I think that as long as you are eating healthy it is fine, regardless of the "guidelines" that they put out.

JulieL
07-27-2004, 02:26 PM
I gained 40 lbs. I am 5'1" and that felt like a lot of weight on my small frame. But my son was very healthy and I am now 2 years postpartum and am fitter than I was before my son was born! You'll be fine just keep everything in moderation! Have a wonderful pregnancy!

slecompte
07-29-2004, 08:38 PM
I weighed 140 pre preg and gained 42 lbs--gained 7 lbs in 2 weeks toward the end--water! DD was 8 lbs 5 oz. I have lost all but about 5 and it is driving me nuts!!

Sheila

lizamann
08-03-2004, 09:35 AM
I gained about 50 pounds with a healthy baby and pregancy. The weird thing was that I was NOT huge, even 2-weeks post-due. And I was 10 lbs overweight to begin with. I don't get that one at all...

Mommyto3
08-05-2004, 10:28 PM
With my oldest, I gained 40 lbs..but I also delivered her 8weeks early..with my second, I gained 60 lbs...and with my 3rd...I hadn't lost all the weight from my second, I still had 10 lbs to go, but got pg when she was 3mos. So, I gained 50lbs but, I count it as 60, because I still look at my pre-pg weight of being what it was prior to my second! Does that make ANY sense?!?! LOL!
I can honestly say that I don't eat everything not nailed down when I'm pg..it's just my body, I gain no matter what! I could eat nothing and still gain! This pg was my first one without limitations, so I tried to take walks almost every day, and still managed to gain all that weight.

I wouldn't worry about it, as long as your not 'eating to eat' then you're fine and your body is storing what it needs!

aliceinwonderland
08-19-2004, 07:09 PM
40+...The doctor did say something all the time, but it could not be helped...i have yet to lose lots of that weigh, but haven't been too serious about it...

StaceyKim
08-28-2004, 05:28 PM
Oh, I DEFINITELY surpassed the 35lb mark on both my kids. My DS I gained about 40lbs (and lost it all plus a few extra lbs) and with my DD I gained about 38lbs. Still working on losing the weight...UGH...but it has only been 4 weeks.

Both kids were healthy and big
DS 9lbs 5oz
DD 8lbs 3oz

saschalicks
08-30-2004, 07:01 PM
I gained close to 70lbs. and I was over 200lbs at birth. I gave birth to a healthy 7lb 3oz ds who couldn't be healthier. I obsessed about the weight and at one point my doctor said to me "look in my eyes do I look worried?" It really helped that she was so great.

Valerie, your post made me feel so much better about losing the weight. I am obsessed with trying to get down, and it is a horrible feeling. It's been two months and I've lost close to 35lbs, but I want to lose more than I gained b/c I'd like to get back to 20lbs. lighter than before pregnancy. I know I should be patient, you really helped for me to see that it takes some time and won't happen over night. Thanks!

ShayleighCarsensMom
09-01-2004, 02:17 AM
Oh I am so glad!
I found it so hard to be "fat" after having the baby especially when all my friends had lost their weight so fast...
I know that my body hung onto my weight because I was just so exhausted and not sleeping...I still went to the gym everyday, but the weight did not come off. It finally started to melt off at about 6 months or so, once I started to sleep!
And once I weaned DD at 14 months, I lost 10 pounds almost overnight (and I was also 3 months pg!)
So, it will happen, just enjoy the baby and know that it is just a temporary thing!

lizajane
09-01-2004, 09:00 PM
i know someone who gained about 20 and someone who gained about 60 and they had babies the same size. both super healthy and strong. one mom craved protein and the other mom craved starches. go figure.

if you choose to breastfeed (and i highly recommed it!), you will be AMAZED at how the pounds MELT away.

ivparker
09-02-2004, 10:13 AM
I gained 67 # and my DS was 9# 7oz. I was huge since I am only 5 ft tall. But within the first 2 weeks I lost 40#'s. My baby was very healthy.
Ivanna

Momof3Labs
09-02-2004, 10:28 AM
>if you choose to breastfeed (and i highly recommed it!), you
>will be AMAZED at how the pounds MELT away.

True for some people, but not for others. I've known many a mom who thought that bf'ing would make the weight go away within 1-2 months, but it is also very common for a mom to keep 5-10lbs that melt away when she weans.

verrine
09-06-2004, 09:57 AM
I'm in my 8th month now. I had 0 morning sickness & my normally "healthy appetite" went into overdrive :9 when I got pregnant so of course I gained 30 pounds by mid-pregnancy. The doctor said I was only supposed to gain 2-4 pounds a month. Well I can do that without being pregnant :P !

I decided eating less wasn't realistic but I could exercise more. I got a bunch of workout video's & was doing one every morning over the summer. Now that school has started, it is hard for me to maintain that so I'm afraid of what the scale will say at the doctor's. I am 5'1" & now weigh more than my 6'2" husband :o .

The really icky part is that they say to buy your pre-pregnancy size in maternity clothes & the excessive weight gain is making it so that the cute things I bought don't fit :( .

KrisM
09-11-2004, 10:03 AM
I gained 48 lbs and had a 9lb 6 oz healthy baby. I had no problems during pregnancy, either. I gained the first 10 lbs by week 8 or so. I don't even know how I did that! It took me about 12 weeks to lose all 48 lbs and now I'm 4 lbs less than when I started. I made an effort to continue to exercise and to eat well during my pregnancy, so I think I just gained what my body and baby needed and was then able to lose it. As long as you're eating fairly well, I don't see a problem with gaining more than the recommended amount.

Kris