PDA

View Full Version : Any runners here using a jogging stroller?

firsttimemommy
07-21-2004, 03:24 PM
I ran before I had kids- (about 20 miles/wk - 8 min mile). Then I had 2 kids in two years! So now I am getting back into it again (DS is 12 wks old). A friend lent me her baby trend expedition double jogger - I hate it - it seems large and cumbersome and I detest going for runs and using the stroller (and DH works loooong hours so I have to take the kids if I want to run) but maybe it is just me since I've never really run with a stroller before??? The BT expedition is steel, 16" wheels, 35 lbs and I am assuming/hoping it is just the wrong stroller for the "job". I also hate having to push it so much - it seems so unnatural to hold on to it and push while I run (but again, maybe it's just me needing to get used to it?)

I run on smooth level pavement (mainly b/c Jake is still so young so I want to be safe - he uses a snuzzler too!). Should I be looking at a Baby Jogger Twinner or Kool Stride or something like those? Are they that much better? I hate to spend all that $ and its not a huge improvement over my loaner jogger! And, as usual, no place to try them in this area.

TIA!
Ronda
Mommy to Jenna born 1/10/03
and Jacob 4/26/04

Chelsey333
07-21-2004, 03:50 PM
Now that I have 2 kids I haven't started jogging yet, but I did buy a double jogger for when my 2nd ds is old enough for it. I bought the dreamer design and like it - but I haven't jogged with it yet. I used to jog with my singer jogger and loved it. Dreamer Design has a great sunshade and that is important for me. I do find the stroller large and cumbersome also, but only when I have to carry it upstairs from the basement. I don't find it a burden to push. They sell something that you can attach to the stroller and your waste, so that you don't have to push the stroller, maybe you should look into that. But I am not sure where you can buy it, but remember stumbling upon it a few months ago.

firsttimemommy
07-21-2004, 05:16 PM
Thanks so much!

I had a dreamer design single I bought after #1 was born, but never really got back into running (shoot, I was pregnant again when she was 6 months old!!!!) I walked with it and loved it b/c of the bubble canopy! I only steered away from the dreamer double b/c it weighs over 30 lbs and I thought the others might be better (23-25lbs(since I hate that Baby Trend one that is 35 lbs and every pound counts!)

I will have to look for that waist thing - let me know if you stumble on it again :)

Thanks again!
Ronda
Ronda
Mommy to Jenna born 1/10/03
and Jacob 4/26/04

Chelsey333
07-21-2004, 09:19 PM
I found it. I went to joggingstroller.com. It might only be an attachment for Dreamer Design, but I am not sure. I found it under accessories for Dreamer Design. Here is some info on it:

"The patented Freestrideā„¢ jogging stroller attachment uses a comfortable belt and pushrod system, and connects in seconds to any jogging stroller. It allows you to move your arms freely and naturally - and to use your natural running or walking stride while guiding and propelling your single or double stroller, with your body. The Results?

A great running experience without the need to push or guide with your hands.
Use your own natural stride and running motion. You'll feel like you had a "real" run!
Less chance of muscular injury from running with an unbalanced stride.
One thing to note, your stroller must track straight."

Hope that helps. Enjoy your running!

JulieL
07-27-2004, 02:44 PM
Yes I have the Dreamer Design Deluxe model. I more speed walk mostly. But I have jogged with it and love it, very smooth. DH runs all the time (20 plus miles a week) and has no problem running with it. I have a friend who has the double and likes it equally as well. DH says it jogs great and he really loves to get a workout in while hanging out with our son. I spent $200 on my jogger and never looked back. We don't have a lot of money but this was one baby splurge absolutely worth it for us.

fivetressers
08-06-2004, 07:46 PM
Usually a lurker here, but had to respond to your post. If you plan to jog on a regular basis, go for the Baby Jogger or Kool Stride -- it makes a huge difference! I jog with a Kool Stride double and cannot tell you how much I love it! Now that I have three kids, I am seriously considering shelling out $500 for a triple.
Also, get a jogger with 20" wheels -- the difference is night and day! I don't know how heavy my stroller is, but it is not too bad. I think it is has an aluminum frame. As for pushing, I usually stand to the side of the jogger and push/steer with one hand -- something you could not do with a baby trend.

The downside to my Kool Stride is that I have to take it totally apart to put into my van. But putting it together or taking it apart only takes about two minutes. HTH

ritacheetah
08-30-2004, 12:51 PM
We lucked out and found a used Baby Jogger II with 20" wheels in the newspaper for $50! It was an older model, but we were able buy a new seat (for the 5pt adjustable harness) and retractable sunshade for it from the Baby Jogger company for another $100. So we have a jogging stroller that would be $300+ new for $150. We used a snuzzler until about two months ago. Now DD just sits on the head cushion part of the snuzzler. But the Baby Jogger II seems to be very well made. I do wish it had an extra brake for the wheels, though. It only has one that is like a bicycle brake.

Other downsides:
No bottle holder
Sunshade is too small (we live in FL) - I had to buy another kind to put over it to shade DD when running towards the sun.
Doesn't fold very compactly

I really like it and DD LOVES it. DH uses is the most. It is weird running while pushing a stroller so I use one hand. It is not hard to push - very light - it just keeps going on its own. Unless the sunshade is down and you're pusing into the wind, but I guess that also makes it a better workout. It's funny, having DD with me just makes me want to keep going!

I'm going to look into that contraption on joggingstroller.com where you don't have to use your arms.

Good luck!

Live long and prosper,
Tracy
Mom to Victoria, 12/20/03