PDA

View Full Version : Ravenous all the time!! Can't get rid of those last 10 pounds!

jerseygirl07067
07-21-2004, 11:48 PM
I had my baby seven months ago and initially lost a bunch of my pregnancy weight, 20 of my 30 pounds gained were lost within two months. Well since then I've been stuck with these last 10-12 pounds that I swear, have gone totally to my butt and waist (argh!)

I have tried to get back into running and doing some weight training, but I am so ravenous all the time, and then even moreso when I work out. I am still BFing so I don't want to cut calories, but the hunger is so uncontrollable, I am sure I am eating way more than the extra 500 per day. The worst is that after a day of good eating, I am starving at bedtime and wind up eating yet another meal/snack. I'm hungrier now than when I was pregnant it seems....

Did you guys experience this situation? I really want to lose those last 10 before I get pregnant with #2.

Marcy

egoldber
07-22-2004, 11:07 AM
It could easily be what you are eating, not how much, that is causing you to feel so hungry. If you have the time (and who does?), you may want to read one of the following:

The South Beach Diet
Sugar Busters
The New Glucose Revolution

All of these talk about how the types of foods you choose to eat AND when you eat them, can actually make you feel hungrier.

I am following the SBD (which is more a way of eating than a true diet) and am eating MORE than I was before, but I have totally changed the types of foods I eat.

Good luck!

llcoddington
07-22-2004, 02:10 PM
I am in the same situation. I had Lauren 7 1/2 months ago and lost 20 of the 27 I gained right away. Now, I am hungry all the time! (breastfeeding also) I think I am more hungry than when I was pregnant too. I am on DAY 2 of trying to eat better. I am trying to eat more fruits/veggies, whole grains and lean meats. I really need to reduce my intake of oils, dairy, most red meat and sugars, as my skin and hair are really yucky since having Lauren and I think these are contributing.

I have heard of other people being super hungry while breastfeeding, so I think this is not at all abnormal. My advice is what Beth said- to look at what you are eating. That's what I am going to try to do!

Lana
mommy to Lauren 12/5/03

JacksMommy
07-23-2004, 06:50 PM
I was definitely hungrier while breastfeeding than when I was pregnant and many of my friends say the same. Moreover, I have always heard that the rule for weight gain is 9 mos up and 9 mos down, meaning that it takes about 9 months for the weight to come off, pretty much no matter what you do (although some lucky ladies do seem to do it earlier). I lost all 50 lbs of pregancy weight by about 10 months even though at the particular point that I lost it, I was not doing anything special. Also, while BFing is supposed to help weight come off faster, several of my friends who breastfed for awhile noticed that they lost a few lbs after weaning. Anyways, bottom line is that I wouldn't expect to have all the weight off quite yet, although it's never too early to make modifications to your diet (if reasonable) as other PP have suggested.

Good luck!

Laurel
Working Mama to Jack, 6/4/02
EDD #2 12/25/02

jerseygirl07067
07-24-2004, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the info! I am somewhat familiar with those books and will check into them. I have been making a conscious effort to balance my carb intake with healthy protein and fats (monounsaturated), in addition to trying to eat more servings of veggies and fruit.

Ironically, I was a chocoholic with a huge sweet tooth BEFORE I got pregnant, and then during my pregnancy I didn't have much of a chocolate/sweets craving. Now those cravings are back with a vengeance!! Now I keep rationalizing that "I'm eating for two so it's okay", but I think I need to keep it in check a little bit better!!

Marcy

navypsych
08-08-2004, 04:22 PM
Marcy, I feel your pain :)
I gained a terrific amount of weight, around 40# and now have the last 10 to go. It's killer. I did weight watchers for about 7 weeks but got irritated at writing down all my food and found I was still snacking on tons of carbs and craving sugar all the time. I'm on the brink of trying low carb but even w/o the whole Atkins thing I think you make a good point about balance. The toughest thing for me is fitting in working out w/ a baby and work. I used to be a gym rat but now can't find any time... alas. We'll get there, it's just aggravating!
Kate