PDA

View Full Version : Strange-looking stomach?

ntrainer
07-30-2004, 07:22 PM
So... my lovely daughter is only 2 months old and not really on a regular sleep schedule, which makes exercising almost impossible for me. (I can't justify spending money on a gym and would rather work out at home, but even then I need at least a guaranteed half-hour.)

But I'm starting to look at my flabby stomach with such anger that I thought I'd ask this question to set my expectations: how does your stomach look post-partum, and how long did it take to look normal? My belly is obviously flabbier and larger than it was pre-pregnancy, but it's also wrinkly, as if the skin will never shrink back to a taut shape. I call it my "elephant stomach," as it looks like an elephant's rear! :) I'd like to start exercising next month, when (hopefully) Rachel gives me the time to do it, but am I just setting myself up for heartbreak thinking that I'll have a normal-looking stomach? I'm not asking for abs of steel (and never had them before), but a less elephantine and flabby look would be nice...

Nancy

Mom to Rachel, born 5/24/04

newbie_mommy
07-31-2004, 12:03 AM
Dear Nancy,

I just had my first child on May 28 2004 and the way you describe your tummy would be the way I describe mine (loss of tone, stretch marks). I have asked around and people have told me that it will take about a year to get back to your prepregnant weight. I am going to start doing stomach exercises. I have already begun swimming laps and it feels great. If you can get out to exercise, I highly reccomend it. I think you will feel so much better.

Sincerely,
J

hellosmiletoday
07-31-2004, 02:29 AM
I entered the MommyFit forum for the first time today to ask the very same question, and my dd is very close in age to yours! I'm looking forward to reading the answers! My stomach is also much changed...

1. Very flabby, especially when sitting down.

2. Belly button is oddly shaped (half is sticking out). DD's belly button is so cute...mine is gross!

4. I have a dark line running down my very pale stomach (no sun in 9 + 3 mo).

5. I have some darker skin surrounding my belly button as well.

These all make for a very odd-looking belly! I dont think I got stretch marks, but then again, how could I tell if my stomach is soooo white. Wont be wearing a tanktini anytime soon.

I am 2-3 lb away from my pre-preg weight (thanks to BF), so I'm starting to wonder if my stomach will ever get back to normal. I started jogging for the past couple weeks...but I also wonder if it is in vain....and I'm not looking for abs of steel either!

Its okay if my stomach is permanantly changed, as DD is worth it. Just wondering if exercise is really worth it.

ntrainer
07-31-2004, 09:39 AM
I also have an oddly shaped belly-button, but mine is much larger than before, and (like the rest of my stomach) has no tone to it. And I've also got the dark line running down my stomach. I know that's called the "linea nigra." I asked my ob. about it and he indicated it may fade but never go completely away.

How horrible to have to go bathing suit shopping in this state...

Nancy

Joshuasmommy
07-31-2004, 09:55 AM
You actually look at your stomach post-partum? My son is months old and I am still avoiding mirrors at all costs. Guess I need to spend some time in this forum.

JulieL
08-02-2004, 10:12 AM
Ok ladies there really is hope. Working out will NOT be in vain. My abs 2 1/2 years post partum are stronger than before I was pregnant. I can see a bit of a four pack as well. It took quite a while, about a year, for me to see the abs I have now. I had quite the bad case of stretch marks so my skin is loose some, but it's only evident if I bend over. Standing tall my husband swears he would never believe I had a baby (minus those stretch marks!) Now My waist is back to where it was before pregnancy. I have no belly overhang (geez that stage seemed forever!) and feel great. Does it look like I never had a baby, well no. But I know I look great and feel proud of my hard work. So keep your chins up there is hope!!!

jk3
08-03-2004, 10:20 AM
I'm essentially back to my prepregnancy weight give or take a few pounds. It took about a year to lose all of the weight (55 pounds-Yikes!) While I am now fitting into my prepregnancy clothing, my body has changed in some ways. My stomach has always been flat - no matter if I gained or lost 10 pounds I just always gained weight in other areas. Now it isn't flat, it's just sort of softer but not flabby exactly. My belly button was tiny to begin with + now it is definitely rounder + bigger. It freaks me out! It will take time but if you do some exercise-even a few minutes a day- it will help. 2 months is not enough time to even think about getting discouraged. The best exercise I found early on was walking with my DS. It helped tremendously.

Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

ntrainer
08-03-2004, 12:34 PM
Jenn,

Thanks for the encouragement. My mom keeps telling me to work out when I can -- when the baby is sleeping -- as if that's easy. My best way to get Rachel to sleep during the day is to take her somewhere in the car, which makes working out a bit difficult (though I guess I can do Kegels in the car :) ). I guess some people find juggling babies with fitness to be very easy, but I'm still in the stage when I feel I need to be with her pretty much constantly... and when she's asleep and we're at home, I'm still trying to catch up on sleep myself. The workouts will come... but walking can come much more quickly than "workouts," so I appreciate the suggestion.

Nancy

JulieL
08-03-2004, 01:03 PM
Nancy I totally know where you are coming from. I didn't start working out till ds was 4 months old. So no your not alone, and yes it gets more managable w/time.:-)

Mommyto3
08-05-2004, 10:14 PM
*sigh* you all should see my belly...I still look pg and my son is 5 weeks old!!!! THREE c/s later..2 in one year, I have lost hope that I will ever resemble myself again!! And of course, because I just had Ava a year ago, I remember what my weight was and have all of my fat summer clothes from last year. Let me tell you, that I 'plateaued' 10 lbs heavier than last year, gained the same amount of weight. None of my fat clothes from last summer fit!!!
I'm so discouraged and depressed...I mean my waist is HUGE...I like to think that it's still swollen...but I'm just kidding myself. Like someone else said, my waist/stomach was always the smallest part on me..flat and I had abs..now I just have an enormous roll with an unslightly, mishapen belly button, and yes, of course the dark line is still there, though I'm unsure if it ever went away after last time..
I'm a little depressed..can you tell?!?!? LOL!! Also, I have BF all of my kids, and of course I'm not one of those that loses weight BFing...AND I actually got pg BFing last year...so none of the benefits, for me, of BFing are happening!! LOL! Of course, my son is healthy!

Thanks for letting me whine/vent!!

essnce629
11-08-2004, 04:24 AM
My son is almost 15 months old, and even though I'm a size 2 and lost all of my pregnancy weight right away, I still have a belly pooch that sometimes makes me look like I'm 3 months pregnant (right after a large meal or when I don't stand up straight). Me and my bf have named it "Paucho" :). I've always had a super flat stomach but now I have a round soft pouch right below my belly button. And my belly button never went back to being the same either-- it has a small "overhang" on the top. The linea nigra line can take up to 6 months to fade, but if I look hard enough I can still see a little faint line, although I'm sure no one else would ever notice it. I have yet to do anything to get rid of my pooch, but I'm sure it's possible if you work at it. I bought two abs videos-- "Abs of Steel" and "10 Minute Abs" that I really like but the amount of time I've actually done them I can count on one hand! Who wants to exercise when you can take a nap instead! Me and my bf are taking a mini vacation to Las Vegas in January and my newest goal is to dust off my videos and try and get my abs back by then!

***Latia
Conner 8/19/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aug2003angel
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif One year and counting!
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/9870.gif

gogok
11-16-2004, 02:21 PM
This is the first time I check out this forum (MommyFit) and I'm glad I did.
I also had a super flat stomach before I got pregnant and my belly button was really nice...now, I had exactly what Latia described...a belly pooch that will never go away :-( and the belly button is sticking out. What made my body looks terrible are those "never-disappear" stretch marks; they are all over my body, stomach and legs...I was told that the only way to fade them out is the laser treament which could cost thousands.
I used to be size 0 or 2 and I cannot fit in ANY of my prepregnancy clothes. I have to buy everything in "medium" now...and since I gained almost 50lbs my OB told me that the only way to get rid of the wrinkles and belly pooch is plastic surgery (my OB said most celebrities did that).
I don't think I can ever wear a bathing suit again (not even the one-piece) and I've been avoiding the mirror...so depressed.
If anyone has an "encouraging" story or suggestions on how to save money from laser treament and plastic surgery, please share with us!!!

StaceyKim
12-11-2004, 06:31 PM
There is hope!
I had DS (who was 9lbs 5oz) and I am 5ft 1 1/2 inches tall, 107lbs. So my tummy was REALLY stretched out and flabby for months after birth. I was pretty upset about it as I always had the flatest stomach and gained weight in other areas instead. Anyway, my stomach was back to normal after 6 months but I exercised too.
Sit ups, crunches help!

ntrainer
12-11-2004, 07:02 PM
Still haven't found time for exercise, though my stomach is definitely a bit less weird-looking after 6 months. There are still wrinkles in odd places (so I'd still say it's a bit elephantine), but I'm hoping when I find time to work out... say in 2007... they'll disappear. :)

Nancy