PDA

View Full Version : C-section + Appendectomy

psophia17
08-30-2004, 10:02 PM
I had a scheduled C-section 12/29/03 (DS was breech) and then on April 13, 2004, I had an emergency appendectomy. Needless to say, my abs are shot and my back is killing me. I can't even sit up in bed without rolling to the side first, although I could until the appendectomy. Does anyone have any suggestions for things I can do to get some strength back in my stomach? Right now all I've got in the belly region is jello, and it's getting to me.

The C-section cut was about a 7-inch long bikini cut, the appendectomy scar is 5 inches long (there were minor complications that involved going in deeper) and is about halfway between the bikini-cut and my bellybutton.

Any help or advice would be great!

Thanks,
Petra

DS - Nathan, 12/29/03

MegND95
08-31-2004, 09:44 AM
I have no suggestions, just sympathy! That is alot of abdominal trauma in such a short period of time! I had a c/s in July 2000 (breech as well) and had my perforated appendix removed about 6w ago, with the same size scar. I don't have any trouble moving or sitting up though. I hope you get some good suggestions from others!

Good luck to you!

JulieL
08-31-2004, 10:38 AM
Although I could recommend workout videos for you, I think instead you should get an appointment with a physcial therepist. You had more trauma than the norm and I would hate for the workout video to cause more damage. You need time to heal properly as well. A pt would know exactly where you should start and where you should stop. If it's to costly for several visits you could do one just to get some ideas and go from there. Hope you get better soon!

ellies mom
09-04-2004, 02:58 AM
Ok, is it just me or was the appendectomy worse than the c-section? I had my appendix out years back and recovery was horribly painful. I had a scheduled c-section for the same reason as you and was dreading the recovery. It had to be worse than the appendectomy right? Wow, was I surprised. I thought the section recovery was a lot easier.

That said. I would try crunches. Just lay on your back and use your stomach muscles to lift your legs. Hard to explain, but if you put your hand on your stomach while you try you'll feel what I mean. You don't have to lift your legs very much, just a few inches. Do the same to lift your upper body. You do not have to lift it far. Keep your neck straight, do not bend it forward. It helps to hold what ever part of you body up for a few seconds (1-2) each time. Start slow with just a few reps 10-25 and work your way up.

If you can swing it or your insurance will cover it, I second the PP suggesting a physical therapist. You may only need one visit, but they can suggest some really good excerises.

Good Luck and maybe I should start following my own advice. I'm sick of looking in the mirror. :)

Ellie 11/03/03

psophia17
09-05-2004, 05:45 PM
I think that both the C-section and appendix were equally bad, for different reasons -

I'd never had surgery of any kind before the C-section - I was on liquids for one day before and four days after, which didn't do much for my digestive system, especially since I was BFing and STARVING, DH snuck me in some cereal bars on day 3, thank god! No real sleep also made the section horrid - I hope to never have to go through one again.

My clearest memory of the appendix was that even the morphine didn't make the pain go away, it just made me not care that there was pain...if I'd had the appendix out before the C-section, I am sure I would think that recovery from the appendix was worse, because the stuff leading up to it is way worse. But knowing what I did to make myelf feel better after the C-section made me more able to "deal" with the appendix, though...I think.

In any case, both are bad (especially while BFing, since you can't take the good painkillers).

I'll give the crunches a try - I'm also going to be doing some water aerobics and I found a class locally called "step 1 to a healthy back and strong abs," which I think will be right up my alley. Hopefully after that I'll be in good enough shape to make some more progress with my jelly-belly :-)

Thanks for everyone's advice!

-Petra