PDA

View Full Version : Any one doing Weight Watchers...Have any tips?

bnme
09-03-2004, 10:34 AM
I am thinking of starting the WW points plan and looking for tips/suggestions on meal planning etc.

I have never dieted before so this is a major step for me. I HATE the idea of being restricted, but this does sound like the easiest plan to follow.

I have all the info from my Mom and I don't plan on joining a group myself. I have about 20lbs to go to get to my pre-baby weight. Probably should lose a little more....but first things first!

Interested in learing if WW has "worked" for others.

psophia17
09-03-2004, 03:17 PM
I did WW for a year before getting preggo - lost 30 lbs, gained 30lbs - back to where I started.

I really enjoyed WW, actually. It's not as hard as it seems to be restricted, you just need to make a choice to follow the plan. There are allowances for stuff that on a "normal" diet you'd (well, I'd) sneak, so it makes it I guess easier to handle. If you really, really want something "bad," just count it in your points.

One thing, though, is that the weekly weigh-ins really help. When I knew I wasn't going to make a meeting, it was almost an allowance to go over my points and make no progress that week. I'd suggest that you schedule something with your mother or other dieting people you know where you do a weigh-in or do measurements or something like it. I didn't like the weigh-ins to start, but after I got going they were the part I looked forward to. I couldn't wait to see how I did that week, especially if I did something extra-good or extra-bad.

Good Luck!!

-Petra

DS - Nathan, 12/29/03

momtoemma
09-07-2004, 11:27 PM
WW is working for me right now! I didn't want to go on a diet where I felt "restricted" either, but I knew that I needed something to give me the discipline I had lost over the course of two pregnancies. WW has gotten me back to the right mindset about eating and limiting my portion sizes, etc...The first week was really hard for me, but once I learned better how to adjust my points, I have been quite happy with the program. I only have about 7 more pounds to go before I reach my pre-pregnancy weight. At least with WW, you can pretty much eat any food you want to, but when you run out of points, you are out. It's all about figuring out what foods will satisfy you within your points guidelines. WW has also recently introduced a new program where you don't have to count points. It is very similar to the South Beach diet in what foods it allows you to eat. I have been afraid to try it yet as I know I would eat more food under the new plan, hence I'm afraid I might re-gain some weight back. Good luck!

Stephanie

psophia17
09-08-2004, 12:08 PM
I just remembered - there was a great site that I went to pretty often when I was on WW called Dottie's Weight Loss Zone - http://www.dwlz.com - Dottie lost a lot of weight on WW, and she made up a website and its got tons of info and helpful tips, and they have message boards and all sorts of other stuff too. I should probably check them out again...

-Petra

DS - Nathan, 12/29/03

candybomiller
09-08-2004, 12:57 PM
Donna,

I love weight watchers. I've lost 10 pounds already and am losing steadily. There isn't anything you can't eat, it's all about portion control and keeping track of what you eat.

I really recommend joining a group if you can afford it. For me, it's the only thing that keeps me accountable. Knowing that I'm going to step on a scale and someone else is going to see what I weigh is definitely motivation to lay off the brownies!

I wish you the best of luck. I'd invite you to join the BBB weight watchers board, but no one is talking over there, so it would probably be just a waste of your time. (hint, hint girls!!)

Be sure to keep us updated on your progress.

bnme
09-10-2004, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the tips. I'll have to check out that website, Petra.

This is my first week and so far, so-so.

I have been staying within my points but I am finding myself hungry. I think I am hording my points too much --saving up for dinner and an evening snack. Also, I haven't used many of my flex points. I am saving them for the weekend when I am more likely to eat "bad" foods. But I should probably be distributing them a little more. I think this will take some getting used to!

How many points do you usually use per day?? How many do you use for breakfast? I am having trouble finding a quick breakfast that is also satisfying and not too many points.

For now I am skipping the meeting. For me I don't think it would matter...but thats easy to say for me now. Lets see if I can get anything done on my own....
But I honestly don't think the weigh-in would influence my eating choices.

psophia17
09-12-2004, 01:38 AM
I did WW before they introducted Flex Points, but I think my points were at was 18-25 per day when I got preggo and had to quit.

The first couple of weeks were the worst - but once I got used to it things improved. It helped me to use the little notebook that you can buy from WW and check off all the boxes for water, dairy, and fruits and veggies. I guess checking off all the boxes was a challenge. I also had a techie friend of mine make up an excel chart where I could graph my progress.

Breakfast is very important - but it's also easy to use too many points up on it, so be careful. I usually had something high in fiber, either 1/2 cup Fiber One or 3/4 cup Kashi GoLean Crunch cereal with a little skim milk, I think both worked out to 3 pts, tops, and I filled myself up with fruit, skim milk, or water after that.

Talking about WW is getting me all excited to track what I'm eating again - maybe I'll get another chart of my progress going :-)

-Petra

erzzie
09-20-2004, 10:55 PM
I did WW before I became pregnant with DD and lost 25 lbs over the summer. Since then, I felt I learned enough about "how to diet" that I've been doing it on my own with a free online journal. I just reached my goal weight last month and am trying to decide if I want to lose 5-10 more lbs or if that is just silly :)

I would have to agree that it's important to find a low point breakfast that keeps you filled up. I think that fiber is the key to avoid being hungry and out of points. Here are 3 breakfasts I alternated regularly:

1/3 cup (before cooking) quick cooking oatmeal with slightly melted frozen unsweetened strawberries or raspberries and some cinnamon on top (if you need more calcium, it's quick and easy to make this with skim milk instead of water)

1 cup (about 20 squares) Kellogg's Bite Size Frosted Mini-Wheats with skim milk (189 cal, 1g fat, 6g fiber + skim milk)

1 serving of healthy waffles--about 2 standard 4" squares (I make a double batch on weekend, freeze the extras for a fast breakfast from the toaster) with slightly melted unsweetened frozen strawberries/raspberries/blueberries on top (The waffles are 225 calories, 5g fat, 2g fiber per 2 4" squares + calories from strawberries)

For the waffles, I use a recipe from Cooking Light (adapted a bit) that is easy to make and very healthy. I hope it's ok to post here?
1 cup white flour, 1/2 cup whole wheat flour, 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ (can sub oat bran/wheat bran/etc), 2 tbsp white sugar, 1 1/2 tsp baking powder, dash of salt (I usually omit because I can't tell the difference), 3/4 cup Egg Beaters, 1 1/2 cup skim milk, 1 1/2 tbsp canola oil, 1 tsp vanilla, mix up, make waffles :)

Hope that helps some!

psophia17
09-21-2004, 04:23 PM
Where did you get your free online journal from?

-Petra

DS - Nathan, 12/29/03

MartiesMom2B
09-27-2004, 09:27 AM
Candy:

Hey I'm trying to liven things up there.

To the OP:

DH and I are doing WW on our own. We have all the books and I made my own journal on Excel. We are on our fourth week and I've lost 8 lbs. If you have never done weight watchers before I suggest going to a meeting. The thing that makes WW work is portion control! Americans eat way over one portion at a sitting. Plus I find that if you do eat the 5 servings of veggie and fruit a day you will get filled up. The tips for breakfast are great too. Definitely eat a high in fiber breakfast.

Good Luck!

-Sonia

erzzie
10-07-2004, 09:11 AM
I use Fitday.com. It's a bit clunky compared to WW's journal, but free. Actually, I bought their $20 version that runs on my pc (not online) and it is really quick and easy to use.

HTH!

candybomiller
10-09-2004, 02:08 PM
Just a ww update:

In the past two weeks of being on plan and exercising, I've lost 8+ pounds. Weight Watchers can work if you stick with it!

JulieL
10-11-2004, 11:45 AM
EIGHT LBS, THAT'S AWESOME, KEEP UP THE GOOD (AND VERY HARD) WORK!!!

bnme
10-11-2004, 09:48 PM
Thats great! It does seem alot easier than I expected. I have steadily lost abbout 2lbs per week and I don't feel like I am dieting or that I am overly restricted.