PDA

View Full Version : Good videos?

emschwar
09-10-2004, 03:13 PM
Can anyone recommend any good PP exercise videos/dvds? Maybe one that uses the baby too? DS was born 4.5 months ago, and I want my body back. I'm pathetically out of shape, and would like to remedy that! I thought I'd try a dvd before joining the gym, since it's so much cheaper, but I don't know which are good. Thanks!

JulieL
09-10-2004, 03:50 PM
What do you like to do or would like to try?

step aerobics
kickboxing
pilates
yoga
dancing
or something else

Let me know what you like and I'll give some recommendations.

emschwar
09-10-2004, 03:53 PM
pilates or yoga maybe? Some really low impact aerobics? Something that doesn't require a lot of coordination. Thanks!

JulieL
09-10-2004, 05:52 PM
I'm on my way out for a busy night, but I'll post some tomorrow :-)

JulieL
09-13-2004, 01:07 PM
sorry I didn't post earlier, I had a very busy weekend.

Ok here are some recommendations:

Cathe Friedrich - she has mostly advanced workout videos but her last video release had some made specifically for beginners and intermediates. I love Cathe so much. She doesn't come off too perky, and neither does she say stupid comments during the workout. Her cueing is great and the music is enjoyable

Check out: Basic Step + Body Fusion or High Step Circuit -Beg/Int

one of my favorites of her's is Leg's & Glutes and Kick Punch & Crunch, those two are not to hard to follow but I would say they are intermediate to advanced

her website is: www.cathe.com

I personally started out on The Firm. I really liked their system 1 and system 2. I have heard bad things about system 3 and the new box it has (several people said the new box on system 3 isn't safe)

www.firmdirect.com

As for Pilates I have personally done this one and like it. The scenery is on the beach. Although I wouldn't do it alone for weight loss I don't think it burns enough calories:

The Method: Standing Pilates Blend

http://www.collage-video.com/cart/default.aspx

Check out that website for Collage Video because they carry almost everything and you can watch clips of the workout and see comments on it as well. Well I hope this starts you off in the right dirrection!

JulieL
09-13-2004, 01:11 PM
Also I have heard great things about Widsor Pilates. My sister loves it and said she definately feels like it toned her up. You can find Windor Pilates in Target and Wal-mart. But you can also buy their videos through Collage Video.

candybomiller
09-13-2004, 06:35 PM
Something that WORKS and is very low impact is Walk Away the Pounds. I love it. Even if you only feel like doing a one mile walk, you still get a bit of a workout. Definitely give these a try.

ntrainer
09-21-2004, 04:58 PM
I also want my body back... and I'm definitely not there. The true cheapskate's answer to your question (which I feel qualified to provide since I'm a true cheapskate) is to record the Denise Austin Show -- via TiVo, VCR, or DVR if you have one. She's on Lifetime Television every morning at 7:30 a.m.

I've tried to work out a couple of times while my baby watched me. I suspect I've got two problems that others have as well: (1) finding the time to work out while the baby entertains herself, and (2) finding a workout bra that's supportive enough for my enormous lactating breasts. Hopefully these problems don't keep you from your goals. Good luck!

emschwar
09-21-2004, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the idea! I'll tape a few and see how I like those.
Hrmm...the lactating boobs could be a problem. Didn't think of that :(

Saartje
09-22-2004, 12:28 PM
I like Rodney Yee's "AM and PM Yoga." Haven't tried the PM routine yet, but the AM routine is a very nice one.

shamrock
10-15-2004, 06:45 PM
I love Widsor Pilates! I have some of the Method pilates dvds to and they are really good. For some reason though the routine in Widsor really works my core a lot more than the Method does.

If you've never done pilates the Widsor set has a great instructional and beginner dvd that you can use till you build up to the advanced.