PDA

View Full Version : I stink! & other South Beach questions

mom2kandj
10-14-2004, 05:23 PM
So...after many many years of being overweight and lazy, DH up and said, "Let's start that South Beach diet this week!" Well, that was last week and here I am on day 4. I did have the book which I had started to read in September and then crammed over the weekend. I've got a few questions for you who have been on the diet for awhile.

1) Does your pee and sweat *stink*? I've noticed mine has a different odor now and maybe the veggies are causing it.

2) For those of you who are doing SB with your DHs, how do you deal with the complaining? DH eats breakfast, snacks, and dinner that I have prepared and will try eat a salad with protein at lunch, but he's constantly *joking/moaning* about how he needs toast, a donut, or ice cream! It drives me nuts!

3) I'm still hungry at snack time. Am I correct in that as long as I'm eating moderate portions of foods approved for Phase 1, I'm okay and technically not cheating. (FWIW, I'm adding celery with 2 oz hummus or 1/2c edamame or some nuts in addition to a regular snack)

4) Is there a max amount of skim milk allowed per day on SB?

I think that is it for now! I'm sure I'll have more questions soon! TIA!

ETA: I worked out yesterday and the day before while the kids went to the childcare without screaming! WOOOOOHOOOO! I even got 40 pages into a new book! :)

Rose
mom 2 Katie 12/02/00
& Jack 04/16/02

lukkykatt
10-16-2004, 12:25 AM
I can't answer everything, but here goes:

1) I never noticed a change in smell. Are you eating alot of asparagus? That can make your pee smell.
2) The only real complaining we did was about the time/planning aspect in the begining - big switch there for us.
3) Agaston says in his book that if you still hugry alot that you probably need to eat more at meal time. Try that. But you aren't cheating if you are still hungry and have another snack.
4) Don't know about the milk - I'm not a milk drinker.

Congrats on a new approach and working out - good for you!!!

Saartje
10-17-2004, 04:01 PM
>1) Does your pee and sweat *stink*? I've noticed mine has a
>different odor now and maybe the veggies are causing it.

As you lose fat, your body is also releasing toxins that were stored in this fat. (This is why a nursing mother shouldn't go on Phase 1 of the SBD.) This, together with all the changes in your body chemistry that the SBD encourages, could make your smell change; if it's unpleasant right now, it will probably get better as your body adjusts.

>2) For those of you who are doing SB with your DHs, how do
>you deal with the complaining? DH eats breakfast, snacks, and
>dinner that I have prepared and will try eat a salad with
>protein at lunch, but he's constantly *joking/moaning* about
>how he needs toast, a donut, or ice cream! It drives me
>nuts!

I'd probably tell him that if he wants me to be able to stick with this, he has to stop even mentioning things like toast, donuts, or ice cream. That's a standard agreement between my DH and myself, though; if someone's trying to avoid something, you don't tempt them!

>3) I'm still hungry at snack time. Am I correct in that as
>long as I'm eating moderate portions of foods approved for
>Phase 1, I'm okay and technically not cheating. (FWIW, I'm
>adding celery with 2 oz hummus or 1/2c edamame or some nuts in
>addition to a regular snack)

If you're hungry, you need to eat. You should never remain hungry on the SBD. (As Dr. Agatston says, no sane diet expects you to go through life in pain.)

>4) Is there a max amount of skim milk allowed per day on SB?

I don't think so. It's filling, nutritious, low-carb, and low-calorie, so I can't think why there would be a maximum.

>ETA: I worked out yesterday and the day before while the
>kids went to the childcare without screaming! WOOOOOHOOOO! I
>even got 40 pages into a new book! :)

Congratulations! :D

mamahill
10-17-2004, 09:58 PM
You've had great answers, but I just wanted to say that if DH every started to complain I simply said, "Fine, eat whatever. Let me just remind you, though, that it was your idea. I choose not to cheat." That was enough. The good thing about Phase I is that it is only 2 weeks. While you're in the middle of it (or beginning, or end, for that matter) it seems like forever, but it's not. Relish what you CAN eat, and it becomes a LOT easier.

mom2kandj
10-19-2004, 01:19 PM
Thanks all for the support and help! I'm currently on day 9 and doing well. I did have one crazy craving for a chocolate bar on day 3, but found a piece of hard candy at the last minute to curb my sweet tooth! Even though I said I wouldn't, I weighed myself on day 7 and was disappointed to see that I had only lost 2 lbs. DH (who has come around and is now a believer and big support) gave me a quick pep talk about how he can see the changes in my body and how the # on the scale is just that...a number. My body is feeling and looking better. Thanks again for the support and help!

Rose
mom 2 Katie 12/02/00
& Jack 04/16/02