PDA

View Full Version : Healthy Snacks for BF Mom

jacksmomtobe
10-26-2004, 05:08 PM
I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for healthy snacks for a bf Mom. I'm not trying to diet but need quick healthy snacks so that I'm not lured to junk. I was doing so well..back to my normal weight range(though without any muscle so that is a bit deceptive) and trying to eat healthy but then 2 Sundays ago we hosted a family gathering after a charity walk and our out of town relatives were in a hurry to beat the traffic on their way home so they left me with way too much yummy cake. I've stayed away from the scale since then figuring that it might not be good for my morale. I had been eating energy bars (cliff bars, luna bars, carb bars, etc) but recently read a post on the feeding section about potential dangers of soy and they all contain soy. I took the posting with a grain of salt since I typically believe most things are ok in moderation but I definitely had not been eating those bars in moderation so I'm looking for other alternatives. I had been eating yogurt and granola bars but after a while I get bored of those things so I need some variety. We are preparing to move so I'm busy organizing getting worok done at our new house & trying to pack so exercise has been off the priority list. Any recommendations so I can avoid the lure of junk would be appreciated. :)

Thanks!
Kim

psophia17
10-27-2004, 01:50 AM
This may be just me, but I loved having rice cakes spread with crunchy peanut butter, both while PG and while BF. Peanut butter also keeps you from being hungry again soon, because of the protein. I've been known to just eat a spoonful of peanut butter, if I need the energy/willpower boost. I also make chocolate milk a snack when I can, it gets the choc. cravings out of the way, and it's all the benefits of milk.

While I did WW (for a year before being pg) I would have cut up veggies in the fridge waiting for me, hard-boiled eggs ready to peel, and sorbet or frozen fruit bars (like the Edy's ones) in the freezer. During cold weather I had a lot of instant oatmeal.

HTH!

-Petra

DS - Nathan, 12/29/03

Jeanne
10-27-2004, 11:55 AM
I keep Low Fat frozen waffles on hand and spread them with Pumpkin or Apple Butter. I also spread them with Lemon Curd. They are easy to take with you on the run and very low in fat.

Rice cakes are another good snack and you can never go wrong with Peanut Butter on toast. Also, I recently discovered Entenmanns Chocolate Chip Cereal Bars. They are low in fat and actually taste good for a change.

jacksmomtobe
10-27-2004, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the ideas. I have been eating some peanut butter and that works well. However I do crave a sweet taste on occaison so I like the suggestion of choc milk. :) Also I am a big pumpkin fan so I will have to try the waffles with pumpkin butter..sounds yummy. I've also found the Entemann's choc chip multi grain bars but for some reason my local mkt doesn't stock them that often. Thanks for the ideas so I can add some variety and not be lured by junk.

alkagift
10-28-2004, 02:20 PM
A friend of mine did this while preg and BF'ing...she made high-protein fruit shakes in her blender and kept them in the fridge--she made enough to last a couple of days and put them in a container she could shake up. She used silken soft tofu, milk, bananas and frozen berries--the frozen berries are cruicial. I liked this but I don't like bananas that much and used only 1/2 a banana and added some oj--the result was thinner, but still yummy. I used have a package of tofu to make a full blender of shake--4 8 oz portions! This is very sweet and you can alter the ingredients to suit you, even adding Hershey's syrup!

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/03

betsydenny
10-30-2004, 01:23 PM
My favorite snack is cottage cheese and Triscuits. I go through tons of this. Between my 21 mo old and the 2 month old, there never seems to be time for breakfast or lunch so I eat this stuff all day. I try to add chopped red and green peppers and carrots at least once a day to get some veggies.

Choc milk is another fave for me too- try making it with Carnation Instant Breakfast- has more nutrients and such than straight Hersheys or Quick.

mtillu
11-01-2004, 12:33 PM
I am a big fan of hummus (a spread made out of chick-peas and other spices). It goes very well with crackers/pita/bread and is very healthy since it is high in protein and low in fat. Very tasty too...mmmm...yummy! :) Guilt-free snack!

It is available at most delis in the grocery stores. It is also very easy to prepare at home (which is what I do) if u have a food processor. In fact, a lot of my colleagues prefer my home-made hummus to any store-bought one. :) :)
If anyone is interested in the recipe and I can post it.