PDA

View Full Version : Here's a question for you ladies...

aliceinwonderland
01-01-2005, 09:16 PM
Esp. the gym-goers and regular exercisers...

Did any of you use to have a hard time going to gym, etc? I am afraid to count the money I have spent in EXPENSIVE gym memberships, only to go once or twice, and then just pay the monthly fee ad infinitum.

I've been too busy to even look at myself in the mirror, but now I'm on school holiday and feel absolutely horrid about the way I look.
MUST LOSE 30 POUNDS...I don't want to lose more $$ on gyms I will not go to.

What motivates you? Should I just try to run? What about toning exercises then??

egoldber
01-01-2005, 11:13 PM
"Did any of you use to have a hard time going to gym, etc?"

Me, me, me!!! LOL!!!

I actually joined my gym when DD was about 6 months old. And then promptly never went. It was only over the last year that I started going regularly. I now go 2-4 times a week pretty religiously, and have kept it up through this pregnancy.

For me, what turned me around was two things. One, I reached a point in my life due to a confluence of events that I felt like getting in shape was now a REAL priority for me. No more excuses, I was going to do it. So I went on the South Beach Diet and started going to the gym.

After I had lost 25 pounds on the diet and been going to the gym 3 days a week to do cardio, I decided on a whim to do a few personal training visits. I cannot recommend this highly enough. Seeing a trainer was the second thing that turned me around. She has completely revolutionized my exercise program. I now work out much harder and smarter than I would have ever been able to on my own. Even if you can't see a trainer every week, I would do it for 2-3 visits (consider it a birthday gift or a holiday gift or whatever) and let them set up a program for you. The difference is astounding.

HTH,

papal
01-01-2005, 11:54 PM
Well, we have a fantastic FREE gym in our apartment complex.. but do i go? NO!! I also have a dh who absolutely LOVES to work out. If that is what he could do for a living, he would. But am I inspired by that? NO. In fact it drives me nuts that he is so motivated and I am not. Makes me feel like a big fat faiure when he is get up off the sofa when the commercials come on and starts doing push-ups or crunces or whatever. I just sit there and watch.
Maybe a personal trainer will be good motivation. Someone to whip me into shape that I can't sweet-talk.

Eri!!! Why couldn't you be my neighbour? We could have motivated each other ever day to get our butts out for a run.

aliceinwonderland
01-02-2005, 12:18 AM
"Eri!!! Why couldn't you be my neighbour? We could have motivated each other ever day to get our butts out for a run"

... or we would motivate each other to run to Cosi's for cheescake brownies everyday.. LOL

On a more serious note: My DH does not work out but is so thin. He looks good these days with the cool clothes I choose for him(lol). SO that in part is my secret reason for FINALLY doing something about the baby weight (as Erik heads into college). I HATE being part of a couple where the guy looks good, where the woman is blah(you know, where people say "How did he end up with her!". I feel very blah.

There. I either made you (and ME) feel worse, or else I might have motivated us a bit more.

alleyoop
01-02-2005, 12:36 PM
Oh gosh, YEAH!

I have spent so much money on gyms and just stopped going every time! But, like Beth, I had a certain turn of events (read: embarassments by my husband :( ) that spurred me into finding another way. For me, it was running. Running is the only thing I have found that I can actually committ to on a weekly basis. Prior to getting pg this last time, I was running 3 days a week and doing weights 2 more days a week in the garage (based on a workout plan). Now, I am back to running 3 days a week and am going to start the weights again, too. I seriously have 25-30 more pounds to loose (size 14, 170 pounds now), but am convinced that with the ability to just put on my shoes and run right outside my door that this is the LAST TIME THAT I AM GOING TO LOOSE THIS WEIGHT. Period! (she says to herself over and over and over...)

Something that helps motivate me is that I have a chart taped to the inside of the bathroom door. I weight myself every couple days and put it on the chart. I also record every time I run on the chart, too. I don't have my weight on the chart, btw, but just markings of -5, -10, -15 and so. My hubby isn't privy to what the weights acutally are, only the accomplishments. When the weight doesn't go down, the little 'r's on the running days reminds me that I am doing something, and to be patient and try even harder to control what goes in my mouth. This weight thing is such a hard battle for me. However, now that I have found something that I like to do and am motivated to do better, I think that I can finially turn the whole thing from a shame thing, to a source of pride. Let's hope.

Good Luck to you!

babymama
01-10-2005, 01:28 PM
Well, it helps to have a gym that is very very conveniently located (as in SO close that you feel the pang of guilt each time you pass by it and know you should be in there).

I am just now getting back to the gym, but when I used to go before, I got into a fitness class that I really liked. The instructor was so good and I always felt good about starting my day in her class. This was all pre-baby. My strategy NOW is that I hired a personal trainer. It's ridiculously expensive, but I know I need that level of structure and accountability, bc I have no discipline otherwise. I also plan on supplementing with classes. I like classes, and I like seeing a familiar group of people for a class.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03

lukkykatt
01-10-2005, 09:57 PM
I have always been very intimidated about going to a gym. After DS #1, I worked out 1x per week with a trainer for about 3 or 4 months. It was a fantastic thing to do. I had the motivation to get into the gym because I had an appt. to keep, the motivation to work out one or two other times during the week on my own (because the trainer could tell if I didn't) and I didn't feel stupid at the gym, since I had someone showing me what to do.

If you are afraid about joining a gym and then not going, why not try an exercise tape? Do you belong to Netflix? You can check out a fitness DVD to try before you buy.

My motivation has always been trying to fit comfortably back into my tailored clothes... But I find that the most important thing for me is to get into a routine. Once I get into the routine, I tend to stick with it really well. Initially it is always the starting up that is the hard part.

You can join the gym at your school pretty inexpensively, btw.