PDA

View Full Version : amazza - Angela

JulieL
01-06-2005, 11:39 AM
Can you help me find something that would be easy to do, but would at least get me in the habit of moving and burning some calories?

Ok if you like kickboxing we could find some workouts you could do at home, I'll look some up that aren't as intense as Taebo - I LOVE KICKBOXING!!!

What do you think about the idea of pilates? It's very feminine and isn't as overwhelming as other workouts for a beginner - of course every person is different.

Do you like aeorbics? Or do you like dancing?

This will help me out a little more.

Also, what is a reasonable timeline for losing 30 lbs.?

If you are working very hard - changing your eating habits AND working out regularly every week, then 1 lb a week is normal and healthy. You could lose more in the beginning as you often are losing water weight as well, but it's unhealthy to plan on losing any more a week, and usually not obtainable anyway.

Being realistic is key to making this a change for life, hope we can work together towards that goal!

amazz
01-06-2005, 08:48 PM
nak

i have never tried either kickboxing or pilates, but am willing to try both. being at home is key right now as opposed to going to the gym, so any advice on good videos would be great. i think pilates sounds more appealing at this point.

realistically, i am probably not going to change my diet that much more. i am already off dairy and drink lots of water so i think that if i change much more i won't stick with it. probably not the best outlook, but i'm just being honest. so do you think if i really commit to exercising 30 min 3x's/week i could lose 30 lbs by the end of this year?

thanks for all your help, julie!!

ETA: these are my problem areas--thighs and tummy. I gained a lot of weight in my thighs during my pregnancy and I have the hang over belly from the stretching. I don't know if that would help you determine what would work best for me or not.

Angela
Mama to Kami Allyse (10/10/04)
A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on. ~Carl Sandburg

mamahill
01-06-2005, 10:47 PM
30 lbs by the end of the year is TOTALLY doable. Diet-wise, I'd probably just suggest foregoing all fruit juices (really high in sugar) and limiting dessert to 1-2 times a week, especially for the first couple months.

But I think it's too hard to implement a diet revolution AND a workout at the same time - too easy to bag the whole thing. I'd say to start moving and that will do a ton to kickstart your metabolism, especially since you're bfing.

I have a couple Pilates videos that are good. I think they're called "The Method" or something like that. I would also recommend yoga. It's amazing how much better you feel when your flexibility improves. And both yoga and pilates really helped to tone.

Other than that, I really love "The Firm" workout videos. I don't have the time or money to go to a gym, so I've done it in my own home. A few sets of hand weights, a step, and a yoga mat are all I need.

Good luck! Of course, I'm only speaking from past experience above. I've completely falled off the wagon while pregnant. So much so that I can't even SEE the wagon any more. :(

amazz
01-07-2005, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I've never done pilates before--it's pretty low impact right? After everything I've been through surgery-wise the past few months, I don't think I could handle anything too high impact.
Where did you get your weights, step, and mat? Are there differences in ones you get at Target or ones you get from a specialty store? And what size weights? I'm just full of questions! :)

OT: I got the clothes and they are great! Kami already wore the Koala kids set under a denim jumper. Too cute! :)

Angela

mamahill
01-07-2005, 11:36 AM
Oh good! (on the clothes) I was just thinking about you this morning and thought, 'I've got to email her and make sure she got them!'

Yes, pilates is more like yoga - mostly stretching and holding poses. It really focuses on your core muscles - think torso. The weights I just got at Target, but I'm pretty sure those basic dull-metallic hex ones are cheaper at a sporting goods store. Since I wanted the Firm on DVD I ordered that online (maybe from QVC.com - I can't remember). It came with the DVDs and the fanny lifter, but until then I just used a regular old rubbermaid stepstool a la Target. The higher step is great, but not necessary for beginners. Oh, and the yoga mat I got at Target. I've seen them at Costco, too, I think. For weights, I have 5, 8 and 10 lbs. Whenever I fall off the wagon and start back up, I wish that I had 3s, too (since I don't even pick up the 10s for the first month or so). But this is with the Firm videos so there are LOTS of repetitions. It's pretty impressive how you can build up muscle. My crowning achievement was being able to do 15 push-ups with my legs fully extended - no knees! We also have 15 and 20 lbs, but those we got later and I don't use them so much - DH does.

Another thing to consider is one of those gigantic balls. I can't think of the name right now. In fact, that reminds me that I should get ours back out. It's amazing how it works on your muscles just when you're sitting on it, so I try to use it while at the computer or desk. It doesn't require much more work than just remembering to use it. I don't think it was that expensive, and we just got it at a sporting goods store, but it may also be available at Target.

Wow, I apologize for the way I TOTALLY jumped around in this post. I guess you can see how my thoughts work :). Plus, it's 8:30a and I've got a cold. Anyway, I hope I answered some of your questions. If not, just ask again. I am REALLY looking forward to being able to work out again.

psophia17
01-07-2005, 02:06 PM
I used one in a class I took after having 2 ab surgeries in 4 months (C/S and Appendectomy) and LOVED IT. I got one for Christmas, and it's awesome. I would suggest getting a larger sized one (65cm or 26in, I think) and make sure it's anti-burst. Some of the cheaper ones aren't, and this is key, since on occasion they are defective, and if they are, you don't want to be sitting on it when it goes up like a balloon.

I think the good ones cost about $40, and you're probably better off getting one from a sporting goods store.

Also in the B&A class, we did a lot of stretching and yoga-esque poses, because they strengthen your core and that strengthens both your back and abs.

You had gallbladder surgery, right? Have you got a numb spot between your two scars? I had a huge one, about a 8-inch square, between my two scars until after I took this class, now it's about a 3-4 inch square...

HTH!!

JulieL
01-10-2005, 10:45 AM
Yes I think if you exercise 3 times a week it will put you towards your goal of 30 lb loss this year. Can I say that that will be enough, I can't, everyones body is different. You may be fine or may need to exercise 4 times a week. But let's not go there, let's just begin and get you moving!

Pilates - beginner level:

Windsor Pilates Endless Fitness for Beginners
Denise Austin's Pilates for Every Body
(I have this- not bad for a beginner tape)
Mind Body Mat Pilates Basic
Kathy Smith's Pilates 2-Workout Set

Aerobic/Dance - beginner level:

Crunch: Fat Burning Dance Party
Crunch: Cardio Salsa
Leslie Sansome's Weight Loss Walk
(I know people who actually really like this workout)
Gilad's Quick Fit Cardio Strike

Kickboxing - intermediate level

Quick Fix: Cardio Kick with Janis Saffell

Total Body workout - intermediate level

Denise Austin's Metabolism Boosting Workout
Deinse Austin's Personal Training System
Cathe Friedrich's Basic Step and Body Fusion
(sorry but shameless plug for Cathe - I LOVE HER, she is an
advanced instructor, but just came out with these two
beginner tapes - the ratings coming from these are very high
and are a GREAT way to begin - she is the best insturctor
I've seen on a workout tape - exciting, not annoying,
informative, great cueing so you don't get lost, and fun
music! - I did say I was being shameless!)

http://www.cathe.com/2004_Basic_Step_+_Body_Fusion_chapters.htm

for video clips of Cathe's workouts:

http://www.cathe.com/launch_video_clips.htm

on the second tape Body Fusion you don't have to do the whole thing, but choose to do just the 20 min upper body conditioning or the 20 min lower body conditioning (I really suggest this if you are serious about getting the lbs off)

*my 2 cents - doing a workout like pilates is great, but not enough because it more tones the muscles underneath, doesn't do a whole ton (unless it's an advanced workout) in burning the fat on top of the muscles. So if you do pilates, make sure you also are doing a more aerobic or weight training workouts as well.

If I have overwhelmed you let me know and I'll try to simplify more.

I got all of these off of www.collagevideo.com , so just go to the link, type in the name of the tape and you can read reviews of them and see a 60 sec clip of the tape to see if it's the kind you would like. Hope this helps!

:-)

amazz
01-10-2005, 11:37 AM
Wow, Julie!!! You are a wonder woman!! Thank you so much. I think I am going to for Windsor Pilates and the Weight Loss Walk. I'm going to order them today!!!

Angela