PDA

View Full Version : How do you fit exercise into your schedule

vikivoly
01-07-2005, 11:27 PM
We're all busy mom's, so I'm just curious how/when everyone exercises with their children. I'm a WAHM with a 2yr old and 3 month old. I really enjoy walking outdoors, but it gets too cold here in the winter to take an infant out in the stroller. I try to get a lot of my work done while they're sleeping. I have a very irregular schedule, so that makes it hard to be consistant with anything. DH also has an irregular schedule and he rarely gets home before dark. Any suggestions? What do you do?

psophia17
01-08-2005, 03:40 PM
I started working out regularly in September of 2004, so I'm not really good at scheduling stuff yet, but I'm getting there.

Since you've got 2 kids, one is an infant, and two irregular adult schedules to work with, you're in a much tougher spot than I was when I got started. I had DH and MIL to babysit as needed, and locally there are a million inexpensive options for fitness that I could take part in.

My trick to be consistent with going to class, though, was to pay for it in advance. The same thing was true for WW when I was on it - I paid for 14 weeks, and I went all 14. My feeling was that if I paid for it and it wasn't drop-in, I would feel ripped off if I didn't go. Have you got any options like that where you are? Babysitting is also key in your situation - if you can come up with a class or activity you would enjoy, find someone who will show up to watch your kids either at your home or at the place you go to without having to ask them. If you know that ____ is going to show up so you can go exercise, you'll start to schedule it mentally, which makes a huge difference.

That's what worked for me - consistent child care and that I paid for stuff in advance.

HTH :)

Mrs.D
01-08-2005, 06:55 PM
We joined the local YMCA and they allow 2 free hours a day for 6 days a week with a family membership. It's the only way I get time to myself every day and I love it!!!!:)

egoldber
01-08-2005, 09:25 PM
If you can afford it, I would join a gym that has child care. That way you don't have to exercise around when your DH is available to watch the kids, and since you need to work during nap time. Its the only way I can get to workout, espeically since DD no longer naps. I get 2 "free" hours of child care per day at my gym. Frankly, some days I go, drop her off and just sit in the gym cafe and read a book!!

bcky2
01-09-2005, 01:19 PM
i dont have alot of money for a gym and also my 3 year old would not do well in a daycare situation(he has never been in daycare) so i have a neighbor girl who is 12 come over and play with them while i work out and then i also know this way when she is a little older she will be great with the boys if me and dad want to go out. i usually pay her 2-3 dollars each time because she does watch them for an hour and some times more so i can do housework.

lukkykatt
01-10-2005, 10:25 PM
I try to workout both weekend days when DH can help out. I do a cardio workout one day, and a strength training workout the other. My goal is to work out 4 or 5 times a week - so if I do both weekend days, that only leaves 2 or 3 weekdays that I need to workout. During the week, I usually exercise during nap time.

I used to be crazy about not going anywhere without having taken a shower. But taking 2 showers a day is not part of my life anymore, so what I have been doing is taking a shower at night, getting up in the morning and taking DS to school. Then workout during nap time.

I used to walk one day a week in a group - I would bring my younger son in the stroller to do that. That has kind of disbanded during the winter - but some people are still doing it at the mall - just another thought. Our mall opens before the stores open and lots of people walk there.

hwin708
01-11-2005, 04:00 AM
I have an elliptical machine at home. I still go to the gym and yoga studio occasionally, but, for the most part, I work out at home.

I find it very easy to work out at home. I just bring the kids into the room with me, shut the door, and lay lots of toys on the floor. They just play around me while I sweat! My kids are, however, pretty independent players. If they weren't, I suppose I could pop in a Signing Times video....though, it may be counterproductive for me, because I would probably quit exercising just to turn off that damn tape. Seriously, that song haunts me!

alleyoop
01-12-2005, 02:29 PM
DH and I trade off "morning duty" every other day so that we can exercise. The rules are that the exerciser has to be back in the door at 8am and if you snooze, you loose. The non-exerciser has to take care of all breakfast/morning rituals. If I want to work out more than every other day then I have to get up before the kids or do it during nap time. It has worked pretty well for us so far.

Edited to add: As a side note, I have never been more eager to exercise than when I stopped trying to do it with the kids. Both of us use that time as "me only!" time... and it is often the ONLY time I get for myself during the day. Even mornings I don't want to run, I always end up going, just for the time away!!

babymama
01-14-2005, 03:34 PM
Not sure if this will help you...but I exercise during the workday (I work fulltime outside of the home). It's the best time for me bc I can eat lunch at my desk before/after going and take my lunch hour to work out. The other bonus is that DS is already at childcare, so I don't have to work out a child care arrangement. The gym is 3 blocks away from my office. We have a discount at the gym bc they offer a discount for my DH's company.

In your case, is there any way to get some time in on the weekend when your DH can watch the kids? Working out 2 days a week is better than nothing. You could also supplement that inside the home with a yoga tape or other exercise videos. Or is it warm enough there to take the kids for a walk (stroll) around the neighborhood?

Good luck to you!

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03

infomama
01-22-2005, 09:14 PM
I hold the trophy for queen of crappy work schedules. My DH and I both work (opposite) rotating shifts, he is on 8 hour shifts and I am on 12 hour shifts. Our solution was to join a 24 hour gym (ours is Anytime Fitness, I think they are all over the US) in our hometown. Its close to our house, open all the time and brand spankin new. It stinks getting yourself out to the gym at 8pm or 9pm after the little one(s) have laid down but that may be your golden hour so take it. It will be worth it in the longrun.

vaherbmom
01-27-2005, 10:40 PM
I get up before everyone else. This might be hard with your 3 month old unless she is waking at a certain time every morning?

Early morning while the rest of the family sleeps is the ONLY time for me.