PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone successfully used video workout tapes?

toomanystrollers
01-15-2005, 07:43 AM
Just curious - I keep venturing over to Collage Video and looking.

Oh and this is my first post here - FINALLY!!

I have about 1 1/2 hrs. in the afternoon when dd is snoozing that I could sneak in some sort of workout. And I won't be joining a gym anytime soon - DD will not tolerate babysitting anytime soon - sigh.

I'm not sure if I should drag out the old STEP or venture to Pilates?

JulieL
01-15-2005, 08:56 AM
Absolutely! Other than running, workout videos are all I use! Don't underestimate the home gym! I have found Collage Videos a very helpful website selecting workouts that fit me.

egoldber
01-15-2005, 01:10 PM
I started out by using cardio at the gym and doing weight training at home with videos. I still use yoga videos at home occasionally.

I really like the Kathy Smith videos. She is upbeat without being a cheerleader (IYKWIM), and shows people at several different levels in her workouts.

I would not recommend doing Pilates from a tape. I think that the movements and techniques are too difficult to learn yourself, IMO. But yoga is very doable. I love stuff by Rodney Yee and all the Gaiam tapes are good.

HTH,

psophia17
01-15-2005, 01:36 PM
I've never used them, but my best friend lost a ton of weight and really enjoyed using The Firm, which I think you can now pick up, steps and equipment and all, at Target and/or Walmart...she lost 4 dress sizes (12-8) and toned a ton, and I think it all happened in about 5 months. This was before her wedding, so she had a ton of motivation, but it definitely works if you follow the plan.

HTH :)

mamahill
01-15-2005, 07:32 PM
I don't belong to a gym and I don't run. I used The Firm videos - they're fantastic! - and walked. I also did some yoga and pilates in there as well. I've lost weight with them and, more importantly, toned up and had definition in my arms/shoulders/abs. Right now there's not much definition going on, but after this guy comes out, I'll be dragging the weights/step/dvds back out.

lukkykatt
01-19-2005, 10:30 PM
Welcome Pam! I don't go to a gym right now. We have an elliptical at home, and I also use DVD's. I like Tammilee Webb's "I Want that Body" (or something like that). It has 3 15 minute segments - abs, buns and arms. If you don't have alot of time you can do just one, or you can do all 3 and have a really nice 45 minute workout.

I also like Rodney Yee's AM/PM Yoga - it is not at all strenuous, but it is a nice way to start and/or end the day with stretching and relaxing.

Here are some recommendations from this month's "Health" magazine: Weight Training - "Timesaver Lift Weights to Lose Weight 2" by Kathy Smith; Cardio - "Crunch Cardio Salsa" with Giselle Roque de Escobar; Beginner - "YogaLift: Inner and Outer Strength Workout"; and Most Innovative - "ABC Ball Workout" with Patrick Goudeau. I don't know anything about these, but "Health" mag usually has good recs, I think.

vaherbmom
01-27-2005, 10:51 PM
Hi, it's not possible for me to go to a gym or class or anything like that, so I workout only with videos at home, and take brisk walks on our roads out here in the country. This works really well for me.

I mostly use The Firm videos--I got them all off ebay and found a plastic step at a yard sale. I've been doing this for 2 years but had to stop off and on during my pregnancy. It works great for me--keeps me toned and my weight is really good but breastfeeding helps with that too. : )

During pregnancy I most liked Fit and Firm by Prevention magazine--it includes some weights. I like working with the weights alot more than all the jumping around but I try to do both.

I borrowed the Leisa Hart DVDs from the library--both her Fit Mommy pregnancy one adn her Fit MOmmy & Me postnatal. They were fun but not challenging enough. The Firm is a good challenge, and actually at my age I am a little too challenged by "tough aerobic mix" and the really hard tapes.

alana

JulieL
01-28-2005, 08:50 PM
WOW Alana you have ELEVEN CHILDREN! When do you find time and energy to workout? Man my one son sometimes totally wipes me out! Good for you for taking care of yourself still!:-)

vaherbmom
01-29-2005, 10:42 PM
LOL, like I said, the only time I can workout is before everyone gets up in the morning. But in some ways it's actually probably easier for me than for you--I have alot of big helpers.

The littler ones all accompany me on walks--at least usually. I almost always take the baby at least. Pushing a full double stroller up our hills is great strength training. <G>

The motivation is that I feel so much better, have more energy and am more productive when I am exercising regularly--when I've skipped working out for many days I get sluggish and tired.

SuzH
02-06-2005, 07:48 PM
I’m exclusively video workouts at home. For me, borrowing tapes (or DVDs) from the library works the best. After you've had a chance to sample the goods, you can go out and buy your favorites. eBay is excellent for this. Most of the tapes in my permanent library I bought on eBay for $5 or less. I also have a bench for step workouts (eBay again). I love the bench because it really helps with variety. I think that the only way to know if a tape is right for you is to try it out for 5-10 workouts. By then you will know if you love it or hate it. Also, I've found that I like certain parts of different videos, so I make up my own "mix" tapes with all my favs.

jk3
02-07-2005, 02:09 PM
I really liked the Karen Voight videos a few years ago. I particularly like the tape with Elle McPherson although she irritates the crap out of me. It's a peppy workout + combines cardio + weights. I might have to dig that out of the closet!

Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

erbono
02-07-2005, 04:23 PM
I used to use them daily before I began running. Now I use them for those rainy days. I also love the Video Collage website! I did their tape swap thing for a while.

My favorites are:

Karen Voights Energy Sprint and
Reebok Step Intense Moves

They require a step (which I got for $10 on sale) and are quite long. But are awesome workouts! If I need a shorter workout I usually pop in Tae Bo or Tamilee Web's Buns of Steel.

Erica

erbono
02-07-2005, 04:23 PM
I used to use them daily before I began running. Now I use them for those rainy days. I also love the Video Collage website! I did their tape swap thing for a while.

My favorites are:

Karen Voights Energy Sprint and
Reebok Step Intense Moves

They require a step (which I got for $10 on sale) and are quite long. But are awesome workouts! If I need a shorter workout I usually pop in Tae Bo or Tamilee Web's Buns of Steel.

Erica