PDA

View Full Version : body fat ratio when breastfeeding?

vaherbmom
01-27-2005, 10:54 PM
I posted this question a couple months ago but didn't get any reply so I'm trying again . . .

What is a good body fat ratio to shoot for when exclusively breastfeeding your baby? I went to a health fair in October (my baby was born last July) and they did free body fat screenings. The nurse told me I shouldn't let mine go down any lower for the next couple years while I feed and chase a toddler, etc. Is that true? What is an "ideal body fat percentage?"

thanks for any help

kozachka
02-07-2005, 02:39 AM
You might want to ask this question at a LLL meeting. I don't think there is such thing as an ideal body fat percentage for BFing. Fat content of your milk has nothing to do with your body fat %. It will be effected only if you are severely malnurished.

I am not an expert but I think as long as you don't diet drastically (having toruble spelling) you should be fine. The weight will slowly peel off on its own.

I've been nursing DS for over 14 months and am back to my pre-pregnancy weight/shape for most part. Ok, my tummy could use some help. I did not diet other than eat for hunger KWIM. Try avoiding junk food and candy (indulge on occasion, we are only human :)). My only exercise is walks with DS but lots of those. He's a very active baby so I'd say I spend more calories than before.

Elena

Daniel 11/27/03