PDA

View Full Version : Crazy question, but has anyone tried mall walking with a stroller for exercise?

sugarsnappea
02-03-2005, 07:27 AM
I am doing pretty good getting on my elliptical a few times a week.
I still have about 25 pounds to lose. But, it really stinks being cooped up the house all winter. I tried joining the gym, but the daycare situation left me cancelling the membership.
I had a brainstorm the other day. I think I want to be a "mall walker". :) The local malls open at 7AM for mall walkers. I thought this may be a good option for me, since I love to walk all summer. The kids will be happy to be out of the house and I can get exercise. Has anyone else done this? Are the senior citizens going to be irritated with me and my giant stroller? :)

egoldber
02-03-2005, 08:08 PM
I've not done this, but it sounds like fun. :)

Have you thought about incorporating weight training into your exercise routine? It would be easy to do at home with a video and some cheap free weights from Target or wherever. Add a stability ball and you'd have even more flexibility. It would help you build muscle and make your cardio routines more effective. It would also break up the routine of doing the same thing all the time.

sugarsnappea
02-03-2005, 08:28 PM
No, I haven't. I have a treadmill, stopped that because it was so boring. I like the elliptical, but like you said I need to break up my routine. I am trying to get my tushie out of the house. I find that if I am stuck in all day, I end up going to the mall anyway. I might as well go to the mall first, before the stores are open. :)

But, now you got me thinking about getting some weights for walking. Perhaps ankle and wrist weights? I need to get into a consistent routine and be disciplined. Thanks for the suggestions!

edited for a typo

wreckgirl1
02-04-2005, 06:00 PM
I "mallwalked" a few of times last winter (stopped when weather got warmer because the mall was too far away). I doubt people will mind - surely there is plenty of room in a mall with only 10-20 people in it for a double stroller. DD was oohed and ahhhed over when we went - I think the normal crowd really enjoyed having a baby around (she usually slept, anyway - and the one time she didn't I Bjorned her, which she loved).

You might also want to check out the book "Strollercize" from your library, if they have it. They have some good other exercises to do with the stroller (stretches, lunges). Most of this you could probably figure out yourself, but it is nice for ideas.

HTH

Cynthia