PDA

View Full Version : The FIRM or Tae Bo?

jubilee
02-27-2005, 02:39 AM
I have a $100 gift card to Target and decided to use it on exercise videos/DVDs sets. So, I'm trying to figure out if the Firm or Tae Bo is a better choice for me and any help would be appreciated. I am quite overweight, but I use to be a cheerleader in high school and am coordinated, so tricky moves don't bother me. I tried to find reviews/comparisions of the two programs, but I couldn't find info on the Collage Video site. I'm not a very disciplined person (as noted in my years of posts here saying that I'm starting a diet, but have yet to stick to anything) so I'd like a workout to be at least a little fun. One concern I have is if either workout could be done around my almost two year old. Are they too physical that I might kick my son in the head?! Thanks for any help! I'm hoping to buy a set or two soon :)

psophia17
02-27-2005, 12:36 PM
Julie,

My best friend used The Firm for several months before her wedding. Between May and September, following the program (but not taking the supplements or anything else), she went from a size 12 to a size 4. I'm not sure how much weight she lost, but I think 25 or so pounds - she gained a ton of lean muscle, too, and looked really great.

She also had Tae Bo tapes, but I don't think she used them much after she got The Firm. I think the major difference between then was that with The Firm she could feel the results better.

HTH! :)

nfowife
02-27-2005, 06:28 PM
I'd get a few tapes of both if you can with the gift card. Tae Bo is pretty much straight cardio, while the Firm integrates cardio with weights work so it is more balanced. And I bet your 2 year old will love trying out Tae Bo with you, I actually used to do it as indoor PE when I taught first grade and they loved it! If you tend to get bored it will be nice to have both so you can alternate, like do the Firm M,W,F and Tae Bo on T, TH since you aren't supposed to train the same body parts on consecutive days (using weights).

JennSimm
02-28-2005, 08:56 AM
I really dont know which is better. My story: I bought the Tae Bo tapes. Everytime i used them I got the flu! Not kidding!! So, I sold them on ebay. Now, I know that is not the reason i got sick, but funny anyway! I bought the complete Firm set on ebay. Have yet to use it becuase my DVD player broke, but it looks like something I will really stick with. I bought the set with adjustable step. The step is really sturdy. I think I got the whole set with shipping and all for 60.00. As soon as my new DVD player comes, I am going to start! I want to be able to wear shorts this summer, and have heard really good things about it.

Jenn

wanted to add that the program I bought came with 3 dvd's, and it also comes with a book with how to rotate the tapes on different days, and mealplans that you can use and great snack ideas. I think it is the newest version.

JulieL
02-28-2005, 10:34 AM
Julie,
I agree that both are good to have. I used the Firm for about a year and a half and LOVED it. I got great results and found it was the perfect beginner approach to weights and cardio. The nice thing about the Firm is that they show two ways to do the workouts. One gal is always doing an easier workout - less weights or no weights. This is great because in the beginning you have to start light and THEN move up. I have never done Tae Bo, but LOVE LOVE LOVE kickboxing. I unlike you am as cordinated as a door knob. So kickboxing is great for me cause it's fun and doesn't involve a ton of intricate foot work. But check out www.collage-video.com for reviews. HTH and have fun!!! - would love to see you check in with us for weekly updates as well :-)

jubilee
03-05-2005, 03:04 AM
I got two Firm sets, each for $30!! One has the sculpting stick with videos, and the other has the two steps. I think the sale ends today (Saturday).

nd93
03-05-2005, 11:38 AM
Where did you buy them?

psophia17
03-05-2005, 12:15 PM
Not Julie, but I believe her giftcard was from Target - so that's probably where she bought them...

jubilee
03-06-2005, 02:24 AM
Ooops! My bad! I got them at Target. They also had the newest set with the reclining step on sale, but it was like $50 or 60, so I didn't get it. And if the sale has ended, just ask customer service to honor the sale price- maybe they will.

justlearning
03-08-2005, 03:23 PM
FWIW, I would recommend getting the new firm box--even if that meant not getting the sculpting stick. I have the new firm box and LOVE it! I haven't used the old "fanny stepper" set of two boxes but have a video with those in it and it looks like the new box is much better. (For example, I really like using it on the incline to lift weights and also it's easier on the knee joints when doing aerobics on it IMO.) I also bought the sculpting stick and could easily do without this. Just my two cents...

BTW, I have bought many of the FIRM DVDs and now have too many (many are brand new, never being opened). If anyone would like to buy some, email me and let me know.

To answer the original question regarding Taebo vs. the Firm, I have both and find that they do offer different types of workouts so the variety is nice. The problem is I have a bad back and I tend to get hurt much more doing the Taebo workout than the Firm workout. I also like the weight training that goes with the Firm but not in Taebo.